Wish Add Dry Level Parameter to All the Fuzz Drives

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
It would be super cool to add the Dry Level Parameter in the Drive Block to all the fuzz based drives so you can get the dry level definition in them.

The Mix parameter on the fuzz drives seems to act more like a volume for the fuzz rather than a wet vs. dry signal mix parameter.

Is it my imagination or do some of the other drives refuse to go 100% wet?

I've had to limit my drive selections as many seem to let 50% dry through no matter what mix setting.

Your comment above on mix acting funny for fuzz reminded me of this.

I noticed this when using my FM3 for effects only in front of a blues jr amp.

Is it my imagination or do some of the other drives refuse to go 100% wet?

I've had to limit my drive selections as many seem to let 50% dry through no matter what mix setting.

Your comment above on mix acting funny for fuzz reminded me of this.

I noticed this when using my FM3 for effects only in front of a blues jr amp.
Drive circuits that have feedback loop clipping like Tube Screamer style drives have some amount of dry signal that bleeds through by default. Because the clipping diodes are in the feedback loop of the op amp, some signal makes it through unclipped. For those types, turn down the Dry Level parameter to reduce that dry signal.

The MIX control is blending dry signal from the drive block's input with the wet driven signal. Since the drive circuit almost always adds a lot of signal gain, the wet signal ends up louder than the dry signal. You can hear the difference by comparing the output level between 0% and 100% MIX settings (the amp's compression can mask the difference, so it's most obvious with the amp block bypassed). For 50% on the MIX knob to give you an equal mix of the two, both signals have to be at the same level to start with. Since the wet signal is typically louder, you will usually need to turn the MIX down below somewhere 50% to hit an equal blend between those wet and dry signals. The more imbalanced the level is between them, the further below 50% you'll have to go to get an equal mix.

Reactions: Rex
The MIX control is blending dry signal from the drive block's input with the wet driven signal. Since the drive circuit almost always adds a lot of signal gain, the wet signal ends up louder than the dry signal. You can hear the difference by comparing the output level between 0% and 100% MIX settings (the amp's compression can mask the difference, so it's most obvious with the amp block bypassed). For 50% on the MIX knob to give you an equal mix of the two, both signals have to be at the same level to start with. Since the wet signal is typically louder, you will usually need to turn the MIX down below somewhere 50% to hit an equal blend between those wet and dry signals. The more imbalanced the level is between them, the further below 50% you'll have to go to get an equal mix.
If you turn the mix down to zero on most of the fuzz drive blocks, no signal passes through.

I seriously doubt that the wet fuzz signal is so much louder than the dry signal that having 0% wet fuzz results in silence.

All of the Fuzz models do pass dry signal at 0% mix with 17.01 betas on my MK1, but in most of them it is considerably quieter than the wet and you have to crank the level to hear them. Not sure why there's such a level discrepancy. The dry level is quite a bit lower than the bypassed dry signal even. For most of the other drive types, the level is pretty much the same between 0% mix and bypassed. Not so with the Fuzz models.

Back
Top Bottom