humbuster cable and noisegate offset question

Harm

Experienced
Hi all,

I googled and searched the forum but can't find the answer. I have a bit of hiss. I use wireless, axe3 and then to active matrix speakers. I know a bit about hiss and where to look, but 2 things I'd like to hear from you:

1) As an easy step I ordered a humbuster cable to go from wireless to axe fx. Now I read only about it being used to plug into the "outs" of the axe. Any point of using the cable between wireless and axe in on the rear or should I send it back?

2) I use the noisegate on the input of course when necessary, but I found the noisegate offset in thee global menu. It is set to zero. I am assuming that that is the standard setting? Or did I mess with it in the past and don't remember?

Thanks in advance.

Harm

If i'm not mistaken, Humbuster is only in the Outputs of the Axe and is for eliminating ground loops (eg in a 4CM scenario) so it won't have any effect on your signal path from wireless to Axe III and won't get rid of hiss anyway. Keep the Humbuster cable though..could be useful in the future.

Regarding the hiss, i'm assuming it's the wireless that's causing this if you then plug your instrument directly into the Axe and don't get hiss.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I googled and searched the forum but can't find the answer. I have a bit of hiss. I use wireless, axe3 and then to active matrix speakers. I know a bit about hiss and where to look, but 2 things I'd like to hear from you:

1) As an easy step I ordered a humbuster cable to go from wireless to axe fx. Now I read only about it being used to plug into the "outs" of the axe. Any point of using the cable between wireless and axe in on the rear or should I send it back?

2) I use the noisegate on the input of course when necessary, but I found the noisegate offset in thee global menu. It is set to zero. I am assuming that that is the standard setting? Or did I mess with it in the past and don't remember?

Thanks in advance.

Harm
A Humbuster Cable is not a guitarcable.
You need a Humbuster cable when you connect the Axe III in 4CM.

A Humbuster Cable is not a guitarcable.
You need a Humbuster cable when you connect the Axe III in 4CM.
Thank you. I go straight to monitors from the axe,so I do not need it there. I put it between the wireless and the axe now. I figured that if it did nothing extra, at least it would be a good quality cable there. Am I right or should I put in a different cable? The wireless has nothing to do with the hiss btw. No difference between straight from guitar and wireless.

What kind of monitors and what are the input levels (if any) set to? What level do you set on the output of the AFX?

Well the monitors are matrix active speakers set at 11 o clock amd the ace is between 9 and 10. The hiss is very minimal and the only reason I am trying to reduce it is because I bought a preset pack from edo and the hiss is off the charts. He was very helpful in looking into it, but at the end of the line I have a lot of noise in my preset, so much that I cannot use it. I have to set the noisegate very high to get rid of it. All my guitars do it. And no other preset I ever had was this noisy. And yes I have many high gain presets. Thank you for thinking with me. Tonight Im going to take a very close look at all the outputs and drive~amp combination.

Thank you. I go straight to monitors from the axe,so I do not need it there. I put it between the wireless and the axe now. I figured that if it did nothing extra, at least it would be a good quality cable there. Am I right or should I put in a different cable? The wireless has nothing to do with the hiss btw. No difference between straight from guitar and wireless.
I would not use the humbuster cable for the wireless to Axe-fx input. As has been said, it is not designed for that. Just use a decent quality unbalanced cable for that.

As far as the offset, that is a global offset. So if you are playing at a venue and say the lighting in the place is causing extra noise, you can use the Noise gate offset to increase the threshhold of the noisegate for all your presets by the given amount.

I would not use the humbuster cable for the wireless to Axe-fx input. As has been said, it is not designed for that. Just use a decent quality unbalanced cable for that.

As far as the offset, that is a global offset. So if you are playing at a venue and say the lighting in the place is causing extra noise, you can use the Noise gate offset to increase the threshhold of the noisegate for all your presets by the given amount.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom