Waitlist Email

if they keep the pace they have been. I'd say end of October and the latest for the 4 o clockers.

This is of course purely speculative.
From my tracking, it’s a reasonable guess. We’ve been hovering around 8-10 minutes/day of progress. Of course there’s no way to know what the supply is, or whether other mitigating events will occur that change that.

I’m actually glad I’m 8/31, sounds like there’s some outstanding issues and missing features in the 1.0 FW (AFIII Pitch Block, maybe even increasing it to 2). Also looks like FM9-Edit is having some significant issues (backups and importing issues with delay times). Hopefully my number comes up after the first FW update is released. Now I’m not so jealous of the early lab rats.

I’m actually glad I’m 8/31, sounds like there’s some outstanding issues and missing features in the 1.0 FW (AFIII Pitch Block, maybe even increasing it to 2). Also looks like FM9-Edit is having some significant issues (backups and importing issues with delay times). Hopefully my number comes up after the first FW update is released. Now I’m not so jealous of the early lab rats.
I haven’t seen any problems except with importing delays with fixed times and that’s a known bug on the FX3 that’s supposed to be fixed in the next release. The odds are good that the silent majority of people are happily using their FM9 without seeing anything else.

I haven’t seen any problems except with importing delays with fixed times and that’s a known bug on the FX3 that’s supposed to be fixed in the next release. The odds are good that the silent majority of people are happily using their FM9 without seeing anything else.
What about the backups Greg, that sounds like a pretty serious issue…

What about the backups Greg, that sounds like a pretty serious issue…
Serious? It’s not serious, it’s just a little slower than it should be, making it a minor inconvenience that definitely won’t stop me from using it.

It’s not as fast as the FM3, but the FM3 moves less data. It’s a little slower than the FX3 from what I remember, which is moving more data and shares the same USB chip. Switching to an empty block helps, so I do that and go do something else like make some tea, just as I do with backing up the others. They’ll fix it soon I’m sure.

Backups not working at all, or that are so slow I can’t use the unit for an hour would be serious.

PS - I'm amending my statement. I just ran the FX3 and FM9 backups in parallel, starting each on an <EMPTY> preset. The FM9 is just as fast as the FX3 backing up individual preset banks. The FX3 has many more banks available, so it was slower getting them all done but backing up individual banks they're a tie. When it comes to the cab banks the FX3 is significantly faster, but, because the FX3 is backing up a lot more data the FM9 still finished faster.

At this point I don't think there's anything to fix regarding backups unless they can speed up the processing of the cab bank.

Later today I'll try to hook up my FM3 and compare it in parallel with the FM9.

Last edited:

I have not experienced these “outstanding” issues myself. Just outstanding tones and convenience!

So I'm curious...new to the Fractal game, and to modelers in general. I just started researching them, and wanted a floor unit exactly like the FM9. Fractal seems like the best, and I was excited that the FM9 is coming out. Since I was late to the game, I decided to hop on the FM9 waitlist, but didn't get on til Oct 6.

So I figured I might be waiting through, say, November when I got on the list, and that was fine with me. I'm not in a huge rush. But now I'm seeing reports that people waited for their FM3 for a year or more...realistically when do you think I get an FM9? As I said, no huge rush, but if I'm looking at next summer or fall, I will likely not wait for one and will probably go with a Helix or Kemper stage. In which case I'll have to decide whether to sell it when I am eligible for an FM9, or just keep it if I'm happy enough with it. As I mentioned, I'm new to the modeling game, and this would be my first modeler. I do want an FM9, but a year seems like way too long to wait. And the cost of an FXIII plus FC12 doesn't seem worth it to me since it doesn't really fit my use case (live gigging and home practice, no studio work needed).

From my tracking, it’s a reasonable guess. We’ve been hovering around 8-10 minutes/day of progress. Of course there’s no way to know what the supply is, or whether other mitigating events will occur that change that.
Unfortunately. If it is that long I probably won't buy it, seems really slow going. My patience isn't what it should be.

So I'm curious...new to the Fractal game, and to modelers in general. I just started researching them, and wanted a floor unit exactly like the FM9. Fractal seems like the best, and I was excited that the FM9 is coming out. Since I was late to the game, I decided to hop on the FM9 waitlist, but didn't get on til Oct 6.

So I figured I might be waiting through, say, November when I got on the list, and that was fine with me. I'm not in a huge rush. But now I'm seeing reports that people waited for their FM3 for a year or more...realistically when do you think I get an FM9? As I said, no huge rush, but if I'm looking at next summer or fall, I will likely not wait for one and will probably go with a Helix or Kemper stage. In which case I'll have to decide whether to sell it when I am eligible for an FM9, or just keep it if I'm happy enough with it. As I mentioned, I'm new to the modeling game, and this would be my first modeler. I do want an FM9, but a year seems like way too long to wait. And the cost of an FXIII plus FC12 doesn't seem worth it to me since it doesn't really fit my use case (live gigging and home practice, no studio work needed).
You can't compare the FM3 wait to the FM9. They're in different circumstances, the chip makers, the shipping companies, and Fractal learned a lot about getting things done from then until now.

When we were waiting for the FM3, all hell was breaking out, and nobody knew what to expect. We had lock-downs that stopped everything necessary to build the units. That's different from now.

Unfortunately. If it is that long I probably won't buy it, seems really slow going. My patience isn't what it should be.
[…]
a year seems like way too long to wait.

Unless you're going for the FM3 or FX3 as an alternative, and can order now, I'd wait for the FM9. All three units are great, but the FM9 is excellent for an all-around choice and mix of features and capabilities.

Nobody knows how long it'll take, but a year wait seems way too long. Again, with the FM3 wait there were major extenuating circumstances, and, as they worked their way through the list we were seeing the progress moving faster and faster until they were jumping many days at a time. We've already see the FM9 list move from a few minutes to over ten minutes/day.

PS - If you're a pro, especially if you're working in a commercial studio, go for the FX3. If you're just getting into modelers or need to do fly-dates or carry a lot of gear at once, the FM3 + FC6 is an excellent combination, especially with the Studio Slips FM3+FC6 deluxe bag; I helped design that bag and it's made to make it easy to travel. Otherwise, go for the FM9.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom