AFIII I'm finally getting confident in my arrangements

Here's a demo for a stoner rock project I'm starting. It's all Axe-Fx on the guitars and bass, programmed drums, and a friend of mine doing the singing. I'd enjoy any feedback on the mix, tones, arrangement, etc. I'm pretty happy with it(for now) but I'm always looking to improve my craft. Cheers!

Very cool man sounds great that kinda made me think of Ronnie Montrose and Sammy Hagar Great job :)

I'm hearing a dry intro, just the short first part, then open it up as the song gets going.
Something I also hear that may add some flavor, is @ 1:06, "I can...", I'd add a 16-note, staccato guitar part that follows the chords. Maybe start it low, then work upwards, and repeat the 2.

After listening a couple more times, I think @ 2:05 I'd go back to the earlier riff (I think it was around 1:12?), play that twice, do the 2nd verse, and swap the part from 2:05 to 2:35 I think it was, to the end of the song. That part just feels like the song is about to peak, but then it goes into the next verse, which seems to me like it's anti-climactic.

I like the song. And your vocals are really good! Man, I've always wanted to do this sort of thing. I'd love to be in the studio with you right now!

Super cool! Solid work. I like your song Gopher Frustration as well. Good stuff. If I had the time I'd lay down a drum track for you but I have a ton of projects going right now.

The vocals are amazing, I get a Chris Cornell vibe. Seems a little vox heavy but definately keep them prominent in the mix. Intro does seem a little dry but sounds good otherwise.
At around 1:36 I'd add some accent and build up a little more into the next verse, it seems to drag a bit.
Great song man, really dig your sound👍👍

This tune has hair! Love it! When I like something like this when it's done professionally. I don't like to pick it apart because then you're no longer a listener. I mean, have any of us listened to say "Smoke on The Water" and started asking ourselves what we'd do differently? There's always something you can pick apart if you're in that frame of mind, or you can just appreciate it for what it is. This is good enough to just sit back and listen.

Will this be up on Spotify?

That's very much badass!!! :)

Just an immediate thought:

Maybe let the bass carry the first verse all alone, and then bring the guitars back in it at 1:08

Thanks for all the feedback guys I really appreciate it!

@Fashion Foul if you ever get bored and want to throw some drums down I can send you a drum-less version with a click ;)

@Radix Lecti thanks! I met the singer by answering a Craigslist ad lol. I gave this EP the car test the other day and the vocals really poked out at me - I'll be tucking them down in the mix a little more.

@AnswerInfinity yes, this EP will release on streaming services including Spotify later this year(if I can stay on top of the emails with the art/design team!)

@la noise Thanks man! As a one-man-band when I'm arranging I have to really fight my guitar player "Yngwie tendencies" of wanting to put more layers in because "more is more!" lol. I get impatient and want things to sound big immediately but this is a good idea to try building energy in the arrangement; I'm gonna' try it

Last edited:
@la noise Thanks man! As a one-man-band when I'm arranging I have to really fight my guitar player "Yngwie tendencies" of wanting to put more layers in because "more is more!" lol. I get impatient and want things to sound big immediately but this is a good idea to try building energy in the arrangement; I'm gonna' try it
I think we were both hearing the same sort of thing: A way of building an increase of sorts, my way being adding, and LaNoise's of subtracting. But the idea is the same. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.
I used to write, so I know what you mean by resisting the urge to put too much in a song. I remember bandmates telling me, "That part of the song could be made into a different song itself. It's too much for this song." ;)

Just a joke, but doesn't a "Stoner Rock" song have to either be less than 3 minutes long,
or at least 6 minutes long---but never in between 3 minutes and 6 minutes.

Definitely the best thing I've heard come out of an Axe-Fx. Contagiously fun. There is a few chords by Brett Kingsman and a few sections by Cooper Carter that come close on Ernie Ball Musicman guitars that rival this but wow. I wonder if you changed the delay timing as the intro was playing from medium to short to long if that would add something. 9/10.

Just a joke, but doesn't a "Stoner Rock" song have to either be less than 3 minutes long,
or at least 6 minutes long---but never in between 3 minutes and 6 minutes.
Ha! I'm not the best at programming drums and I find it hard to program the kind of longer jams that come naturally when playing with a good live drummer.

For sure. I get how that method can be tedious.

You are doing great. No doubt on the right track.

Good luck finding a drummer. Hopefully, the right guy or gal finds you. :)

Back
Top Bottom