Joe Bonamassa Fractal or dis?

He's a great player and entertainer who also is an obsessive collector. All I'm seeing here is a lot of keyboard warriors ripping a guy that has been able to follow his dream and build a very successful career doing what he loves. He plays in and sells out a lot of legendary venues and has played with quite a few guitar legends. Not bad for a guy that's uninspiring, unoriginal, and an insufferable, disingenuous hack.

Thanks guys, now I gotta go take my meds!!

He's a great player and entertainer who also is an obsessive collector. All I'm seeing here is a lot of keyboard warriors ripping a guy that has been able to follow his dream and build a very successful career doing what he loves. He plays in and sells out a lot of legendary venues and has played with quite a few guitar legends. Not bad for a guy that's uninspiring, unoriginal, and an insufferable, disingenuous hack.

Thanks guys, now I gotta go take my meds!!
Well you know, so many of the "guys" on here are much better players than Joe. (in their dreams) You know, they just haven't got their break yet.
Kind of sucks...Guy works his ass off since he was, oh, 10 yrs old maybe and of course the wanna be clowns on here have to get their digs in.
Sad........
EDIT: To clarify, I am NOT a huge Joe B. Fanatic. Don't have any of his cds, etc. But I do think he is a great player. I enjoy many of the vids he posts, hence why I subscribe. MOST, which usually are not about himself, but other players old and new. The greatest, no. Especially since their is no greatest. Some of you folks need to get a life.
There are many vids posted on here over the years that imho suck. But I refrain from dissing the players. That's not why I play guitar or why I frequent this forum.

Last edited:
There are many GREAT guitarists that are not my taste in music, I'd categorize JB as one that does nothing for me.
But, anyone who gets to the level he has achieved has my respect and I don't understand why anyone would take a flippant comment about any piece of gear so seriously.

I dont get why people are so upset that his playing doesnt do "it" for a lot of us. No one is saying he cant play, or doesnt have talent or skill, or that he doesnt deserve his status. I mean, the Beatles were the biggest band of all time and not even 1/10 people like them.

For blues, I like SRV and Freddie King. Also Clapton and Mayer.

His collaborations with others seems to be 70's or blues hard rock oriented, which I love! but his solo efforts I feel, that maybe by the fans, he's pushed into carrying the torch for the srv style of things? He's very talented and can play what he chooses but I believe he may be influenced most by a certain group of people. Whatever the case, in todays music world it great to see someone pushing "real" guitar forward.

I dont get why people are so upset that his playing doesnt do "it" for a lot of us. No one is saying he cant play, or doesnt have talent or skill, or that he doesnt deserve his status. I mean, the Beatles were the biggest band of all time and not even 1/10 people like them.

YOU: "No one is saying he cant play, or doesnt have talent or skill, or that he doesnt deserve his status."
Me: uh, well, yes they are, just not those words in particular. Not you mind you.

YOU: "No one is saying he cant play, or doesnt have talent or skill, or that he doesnt deserve his status."
Me: uh, well, yes they are, just not those words in particular. Not you mind you.
I didnt read anything here that I interpreted in those ways. Most of the knocks on him were some version of him being derivitive, which is fair (although we all are a product of our influences), or simply uninspiring (which is a taste thing). The other dings were on personality, which is the one thats silly to me for the most part. Seems like an ok guy to me. Agree to disagree I guess.

Joe may be famous in the musician world, but in the mainstream world he’s a nobody. How many average humans know the name “Joe bonamassa” who sells out theaters vs someone like “John Mayer” selling out arenas. All the real professional artists using fractal in the studio and on stage are a testament to how good it is.

He’s only a human and his ears are no better than mine. In fact, with his age and loudness he plays, I’m certain my hearing is better.

I see more an more people going back with tubes amps . Periphery this morning with no more axe but tubes and torpedo …
The question is, if you really have the choice, money, guys who brings your stuff … what do you do ? Do you prefer to record with the original or the copy ? At my level and even now, this is a question I have in every records. Will I use my boogie or the axe ?

Maybe the thing is that we see the axe “improving” , like it’s not a finished product yet . So using the real stuff erase the “maybe in 2 months the sim will be different or better or … “

A record does not update 😅

I play more with the axe because of the easy switching with effects and channels etc … and if someone famous use another thing that’s not important

411EF68D-AA4D-40E7-B1DE-DEA9CAB793BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Yup. If you don't like something or someone you are jealous, or envious, or an ill-tempered old fart
who never realized your dreams. I don't get the descent into name-calling because someone doesn't
like someone I may like.

Yadda yadda yadda!! :)

I don't think Joe is a saint. I have yet to meet one in this life. He's indeed a very proficient player. I have seen him live
and yet I don't think he is immune from criticisms when he is obviously "trolling" and admits as much. Probabbly not like
he enjoys the attention it garners him or anything, eh?? :)

I don’t know much about him, or what he uses or plays through but when I read it, my thought was that he was saying a person COULD have all that gear in the back, or they could also just get a Fractal unit. lol

I don’t know much about him, or what he uses or plays through but when I read it, my thought was that he was saying a person COULD have all that gear in the back, or they could also just get a Fractal unit. lol
It's soooo freaking awesome fractal has made the tonal pallet of all that gear and more available to the masses at a very reasonable price point. What a great time to be a guitar player.

I don't hear or feel any difference with the amps I use to use for 30+ years and the Fractal stuff. But, hey, that's just me I guess.
Except of course the ease of use with the fractal stuff.

Joe plays Glam-Blues.

He has chops and enough money to buy a really good band, let alone all the vintage guitars and amps one could ever wish for. He does what makes him happy. Maybe too happy to play the Blues. But that's cool. There's clearly a market for it. Like for VIP packages, staged meet and greets, key chains, limited signature guitar picks and Epiphone guitars (sorry, not sorry) That's all cool as well.

He gets credited for awesome tone, but at least to my ears that's nowhere near as divine as let's say Derek Trucks. Or as vocal as Walter Trout, as piercing and expressive as Albert Collins... and all of those guys aren't so focused on the gear either

Joe plays Glam-Blues.

He has chops and enough money to buy a really good band, let alone all the vintage guitars and amps one could ever wish for. He does what makes him happy. Maybe too happy to play the Blues. But that's cool. There's clearly a market for it. Like for VIP packages, staged meet and greets, key chains, limited signature guitar picks and Epiphone guitars (sorry, not sorry) That's all cool as well.

He gets credited for awesome tone, but at least to my ears that's nowhere near as divine as let's say Derek Trucks. Or as vocal as Walter Trout, as piercing and expressive as Albert Collins... and all of those guys aren't so focused on the gear either
Bingo

Back
Top Bottom