Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 17.01 Public Beta

Ok I must be blind. I have updated both the Axe and Edit and keep trying to load a Full Res IR from the Legacy bank into Cab 3 and/or 4 slot but cannot see any noted as Full Res or by the noted suppliers. Can someone direct me on what I may be doing wrong?

Ok I must be blind. I have updated both the Axe and Edit and keep trying to load a Full Res IR from the Legacy bank into Cab 3 and/or 4 slot but cannot see any noted as Full Res or by the noted suppliers. Can someone direct me on what I may be doing wrong?

Axe-Edit updated?

I found some at the end of the Legacy cabs.

I updated last night and thought it brought in the most recent firmware. I just rechecked while in edit and it was 17.00. Loaded 17.01 B4 and they are there.

Was using an older version of Edit before.

I'll admit that sometimes I can be a bit slow on the uptake, but this:

"Added 10 FullRes IRs to the Legacy bank provided by Valhallir and York Audio. These are at the end of the bank. These can be loaded into the IR Player blocks or into Slots 3 and 4 of the Cabinet blocks. Note that Slots 1 and 2 of the Cabinet blocks do not support FullRes."

...is missing something in the description that blew my mind when I tried it - you can now SAVE a preset with the FullRes IRs, and they'll still be there when you power off and back on! Holy crap! Okay, so us Mark I guys can't have a full bank of FullRes IRs, but come on - THIS IS FANTASTIC! Look at what Cliff accomplished:

• incorporated 5 stereo pairs of FullRes IRs into the Legacy bank
  • Left both User banks 1 & 2 untouched
  • added the capability for Mark I users to save presets with these FullRes IRs

Thank you, sir. MUCH appreciated!

I'll admit that sometimes I can be a bit slow on the uptake, but this:

"Added 10 FullRes IRs to the Legacy bank provided by Valhallir and York Audio. These are at the end of the bank. These can be loaded into the IR Player blocks or into Slots 3 and 4 of the Cabinet blocks. Note that Slots 1 and 2 of the Cabinet blocks do not support FullRes."

...is missing something in the description that blew my mind when I tried it - you can now SAVE a preset with the FullRes IRs, and they'll still be there when you power off and back on! Holy crap! Okay, so us Mark I guys can't have a full bank of FullRes IRs, but come on - THIS IS FANTASTIC! Look at what Cliff accomplished:

• incorporated 5 stereo pairs of FullRes IRs into the Legacy bank
  • Left both User banks 1 & 2 untouched
  • added the capability for Mark I users to save presets with these FullRes IRs

Thank you, sir. MUCH appreciated!

Just realized that too!

I could not decipher it clearly in release notes nor the subsequent posts.

FAS always 2nd to none!!

I don't hear or measure this. Be aware that long times and small size are not naturally occurring so you will get excessive flutter on transients just as you would in a real space that had very low acoustic absorption (if you could find one).
Forgot to post this yesterday, I realize there's a new beta out and I'll try that out hopefully tonight. But to confirm @mr_fender's post...

I hear the clicking on all presets I've tried. Have to hit the strings hard, then there's small clicks in the decay. Have to turn it up loud to hear it, here's a clip with factory preset 72:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fng4631r4f2crr/band_commander_facPreset_click.wav?dl=0

It should be pretty much factory settings, but attaching preset and system stuff.

Attachments

• Band Commander.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IIIMk2-211010-202550-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 0
MKI user here, using an external audio interface and the latest AxeEdit on a Windows 10 PC.

Three possible bugs with FW 17.01 public beta 2:

1. I recently reinstalled all OEM FW 16 presets. I then modified one of them, making it processor-intensive (with FullRes IRs). With that preset open, I opened the Preset Manager. Via drag-and-drop, I attempted to move presets 1-5 to empty slots close to the end of the list. The Axe FX 3 hung, and what's more, my computer crashed with Microsoft's famous all-blue screen. After resetting both the Axe Fx 3 and my computer, I could not reproduce the problem, which makes me think the real bug may be a load problem as described below.

2. Sometimes, when I play on a processor-intensive preset with FullRes IRs, and then try to add a block that is clearly beyond processing capabilities, the Axe FX 3 hangs, and my computer crashes with Microsoft's famous all-blue screen. A full reset of the Axe Fx 3 and my computer is required.

Are there any known USB issues known to cause the host computer to crash and show Microsoft's blue-screen?

3. IR block with stereo inputs and two FullRes IRs loaded. Both IRs are panned left/right. The right IR causes some "crackle", similar to crackle heard when there's a clocking problem.

MKI user here, using an external audio interface and the latest AxeEdit on a Windows 10 PC.

Three possible bugs with FW 17.01 public beta 2:

1. I recently reinstalled all OEM FW 16 presets. I then modified one of them, making it processor-intensive (with FullRes IRs). With that preset open, I opened the Preset Manager. Via drag-and-drop, I attempted to move presets 1-5 to empty slots close to the end of the list. The Axe FX 3 hung, and what's more, my computer crashed with Microsoft's famous all-blue screen. After resetting both the Axe Fx 3 and my computer, I could not reproduce the problem, which makes me think the real bug may be a load problem as described below.

2. Sometimes, when I play on a processor-intensive preset with FullRes IRs, and then try to add a block that is clearly beyond processing capabilities, the Axe FX 3 hangs, and my computer crashes with Microsoft's famous all-blue screen. A full reset of the Axe Fx 3 and my computer is required.

Are there any known USB issues known to cause the host computer to crash and show Microsoft's blue-screen?

3. IR block with stereo inputs and two FullRes IRs loaded. Both IRs are panned left/right. The right IR causes some "crackle", similar to crackle heard when there's a clocking problem.
I've never seen anyone here report a BSOD related to Axe-Edit or the Axe Fx.

Doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened, but it would be very surprising to me.

Perhaps your computer has an issue of some sort with the USB hardware and this use case exacerbates it?

Regarding #3, is that also on CPU intensive presets? Those are prone to crackles...

I've never seen anyone here report a BSOD related to Axe-Edit or the Axe Fx.

Doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened, but it would be very surprising to me.

Perhaps your computer has an issue of some sort with the USB hardware and this use case exacerbates it?
I've got an ASUS ROG Strix Z590-A motherboard. My separte interface is plugged into the "USB Sound" port, and the Axe Fx 3 MkI is plugged into one of the "non-special" USB input.

Regarding #3, is that also on CPU intensive presets? Those are prone to crackles...
Yes I'm using a CPU intensive preset, but the crackles disappear when the IR Player block is replaced with a cab block. Since the cab block is more CPU intensive, it stands to reason that the IR Player block is the problem.

Be aware that long times and small size are not naturally occurring so you will get excessive flutter on transients just as you would in a real space that had very low acoustic absorption (if you could find one).
I've heard stairwells that have a clicky sounding flutter echo. No DSP/algo needed....

Back
Top Bottom