Dual CLR’s or Dual Powercab 112 plus? Help me decide...🤔

Fractivator

Hi guys. After a couple of years of using studio monitors with my axe fx 3 (Presonus E44 and Genelec 8010) I’m looking at finally investing in a decent frfr setup.

I’m a home hobbyist player and guitar is my “me time” pleasure. I recently acquired the family teenage sleep out after my son left for Uni so able to go big for first time in 20yrs. Just purchased my first valve amp - Mesa TC 50 with 212 recto vertical cab. It’s a joy for sure but so is my axe fx. I choose to drive a 10 year old car & this is where I’d rather channel my disposable income.

I’ve done my research and the consensus seems CLR is the way to go. I’m on the wait list last 6 mths and hear of guys waiting years...my question here is do I continue holding out for CLR’s to come available or do I just pull the trigger on 2 x 112 powercab +’s which I could buy now. Personally, I’d go 2 CLR’s if they were available. I don’t want to do the purchase / sell / purchase thing so I will be stuck with what I get. Is PC going to leave me feeling wanting or is it good enough to put a smile on my face with no regrets? Money is less of an issue as I know the 2 CLR’s would be more coin...really not wanting to wait another year or more if I can avoid it UNLESS the CLR’s are worth it.

What would YOU do? I’m interested to here your perspectives out there.

Cheers

CLRs have been on wait-list status a long time. I think the last time I saw reports of them shipping was at least 12 months ago.

Yeah - I’m not sure I can wait indefinitely but otherwise they are what I’d go for. Thanks for the reply Unix-guy

Well I have had both, and kept the CLR. The CLR’s are flatter and just a better monitoring solution than the powercab IMHO. Another option that I prefer over the powercab is the Laney LFR in the 1x12 emulation mode (cab sim off in the Axe FX)

My favorite rig with the Axe right now is through a Matrix power amp and into a cab loaded with Celestion F12-X200 speakers. That’s an option there’s no waitlist for, and for straight up enjoying guitar at home I think it’s better than the CLR’s personally. The CLRs get a bit spiky when you push the volume on them, so if you’re looking to really move some air I wouldn’t recommend them for that. Great stage monitor though, I use it for both guitars and vocals in that context. If I were you I’d get two 1x12 cabs with X200‘s, and either a Matrix or maybe a Seymour Duncan Powerstage.

Hey Purplestrats (I have a blue Strat😊)

Thanks for your inspired reply. I hadn’t thought to go poweramp and cab because I wanted to leverage the full power of my Axe fx. BUT didn’t know celestion made a modeler flat speaker and with a SS poweramp I guess you’d be running both IR’s and poweramp modeling in your Axefx with that setup? I am shopping for a timber router and jig to make my own cabs to try my TC50 with some open back cabs (compared to the recto cab I currently have) so your reply has me now on a re-think. Thanks for the comments - I’m going to do some research but think this is a strong option. For what 2 X CLRs would cost I can jump right into Matrix and my own custom built cabs with those X 200’s

Cheers!

CLRs have been on wait-list status a long time. I think the last time I saw reports of them shipping was at least 12 months ago.
I’d say the CLR Neo MkII as well, but you might as well look for a matching pair of unicorns. Although the price has gone stupid, the RCF NX12SMA is an awesome speaker for the Axe Fx. Mike at AudioPyle used to get them at a significant discount, but I haven’t talked to him in a while. Even then, you’re talking $3K and up for a pair. The NX10SMA is also great, and is slightly less costly.

I’d like to try a Xitone just from hearing people here talk about them. Also not “cheap” but you have to remember that, in sound quality, cheap sounds cheap and expensive generally sounds, well, expensive. Lots of “make do with” options out there, but I’m in the “buy once, cry once” crowd.

I love my CLR's. I bought them around 2011/2012. Over the years , on this forum, I see loads of love for the CLR's but the consistent theme is always complaints with availability and/or customer support. Is it just that they are a small company? too much demand/limited resources , suppy? It's too bad. great Monitors.

Never go Powercab.
Thanks Jive Turkey. Kind of the steer I was looking for - I can get them today but just felt they were perhaps not the full monty I’m looking for. There’s plenty of YouTube clips people raving about them but feedback in this forum seems less enthusiastic. I trust the views here as no ones selling anything 😊

I love my CLR's. I bought them around 2011/2012. Over the years , on this forum, I see loads of love for the CLR's but the consistent theme is always complaints with availability and/or customer support. Is it just that they are a small company? too much demand/limited resources , suppy? It's too bad. great Monitors.
Thanks Chewie. Yeah it just comes down to supply for me. I’m in New Zealand which makes it even worse.

I agree completely about Atomic. I have a CLR Neo Mk II. Great product! But if it dies and you have to deal with getting it serviced, you come dangerously close to wishing you’d never bought it anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback here guys. Really appreciate all the input & opinions.

Today I ordered 2 x F12-x200 speakers from a supplier in US. Even with ridiculous freight, they still came out cheaper than NZ supplier who only had 1 unit in stock.

While I wait for those to arrive, I’m planning out a home DIY project to make two 212 vertical cabs which I plan to run the F12’s in the top position and eventually add some different cream backs / greenbacks in lower position which will pair with my TC50 and recto 212. The home made 212’s will have separate compartments so they are independent between top and bottom with the F12 top position closed back and ported according to Celestion requirements. Kind of like the pic of the stage hog below but with the ported baffle on top position for the F12-x200’s.

Will make a separate 5RU rack case for the Ax FX and Matrix GT1000 2RU.

Very excited to go this route. Will give loads of options...

Attachments

• E8091B7C-A825-4371-98DC-7A1797A655F2.jpeg
    E8091B7C-A825-4371-98DC-7A1797A655F2.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom