FullRes IR vs. Reverb

Jason's take on this, through my studio-monitors (listening rig, whatever) ... sound very close.

When I was rocking my Axe-Ultra, I used to experiment with Jay's farfield IRs and mix them in with a room verb behind my regular IRs and I ended up abandoning that because IT SOUNDED LIKE AN AMP IN THE ROOM when what I was after, was a bigass processed sound that was modern.

These things all all very cool, but I'd rather buy the Fractal version of a drum trigger brain with 'Drum-Edit' at this point.

I played a bunch with the York Audio Fullres IRs tonight, using headphones. I couldn't find any use for the Fullres IRs on high gain tones. And although I found them usable on clean tones, I prefer the control of a reverb block after other effects. The processing power was not a huge disincentive, so perhaps I'll try other Fullres IRs in future, but so far I haven't found them all that compelling.

Here is a quick&dirty test of Fullres IRs on high gain tone. No reverb.

They make more pleasant to play with headphones

That's been my experience too: high gain is much easier on the ear when using an AITR block. IR selection is also not as important, probably because AITR seems to round off some of the harshness in some IRs. I'm using the budget AITR block posted on my FM3, but it's already gotten to the point that I prefer to simulate AITR in the Axe for practice rather than go through the FRFR I just bought!

IMO, Fractal should ship a simulated AITR Reverb preset/block in future FW updates. It's too good to be locked away in the forums.

I played a bunch with the York Audio Fullres IRs tonight, using headphones. I couldn't find any use for the Fullres IRs on high gain tones. And although I found them usable on clean tones, I prefer the control of a reverb block after other effects. The processing power was not a huge disincentive, so perhaps I'll try other Fullres IRs in future, but so far I haven't found them all that compelling.
I take it back. By separately controlling the Fullres IRs with an IR Player block (in parallel with a cab block), Fullres IRs are glorious. They just don't seem to work quite as well within the same cab block hosting near-field IRs, for auto level-matching reasons.

... high gain is much easier on the ear when using an AITR block. IR selection is also not as important, probably because AITR seems to round off some of the harshness in some IRs.
Yes I agree. When the Fullres IRs are controlled in parallel to a cab block, I find high-gain tones easier on the ears without getting washed out.

I copied the reverb block settings from earlier in the thread and have been using them with an Atomic CLR. Had to drop the mix level down for my set up, but it's really cool. It's barely audible but the difference in sensation between off and on is like the difference between the sound originating directly inside my head versus hearing the sound, if that makes any sense.

I have a Mark II but haven't bothered to update to the firmware that supports the Full Res stuff yet.

Back
Top Bottom