Wah help, sweep seems wrong

Full disclaimer, I know little about wah and used one at least 10 years ago.

That said, I have been using a spring modded Moog EP-3 and Dunlop DVP1 and I’m just not getting the sweep I think I should, or hear on other demos.

I am using default settings on the block (or within stock presets) when using the wah. Only adding modifier for the pedal control. 5% to engage, medium speed. Both pedals are calibrated via the FC-6.

I feel like from heel to 30-40% of either pedal the sweep is almost non-existant.

Where should I start to diagnose this?

You Calibrated them from the Axe-FxIII and they are hooked up to the FC-6 and you went through the motion of manually sweeping the pedals heel to toe right?

Hi @sixstringedmatt
As mr feder said - Have a look at the sweep you are getting in the controls panel
1633746254922.png

aslo, have a fiddle with the Control taper in the wah block..
1633746311693.png

thanks
Pauly

Full disclaimer, I know little about wah and used one at least 10 years ago.

That said, I have been using a spring modded Moog EP-3 and Dunlop DVP1 and I’m just not getting the sweep I think I should, or hear on other demos.

I am using default settings on the block (or within stock presets) when using the wah. Only adding modifier for the pedal control. 5% to engage, medium speed. Both pedals are calibrated via the FC-6.

I feel like from heel to 30-40% of either pedal the sweep is almost non-existant.

Where should I start to diagnose this?

Look at the start, mid, and end points of your sweep. Move them around. You can make it peak anywhere you’d like.

In the modifier window, does the graph dot move smoothly from one corner to the other as you sweep the pedal back and forth?
It does!
You Calibrated them from the Axe-FxIII and they are hooked up to the FC-6 and you went through the motion of manually sweeping the pedals heel to toe right?
Yes. I originally calibrated as direct in to the rack but when that didn’t work realized I needed to do so from within the FC-6 option within the AF3.
Hi @sixstringedmatt
As mr feder said - Have a look at the sweep you are getting in the controls panel
View attachment 89910

aslo, have a fiddle with the Control taper in the wah block..
View attachment 89911

thanks
Pauly
Sweep looks good but I do have it to 30A. I went to 5A and no change. Linear however might do the trick!!
Look at the 'control taper' in the wah settings. That was a big thing for me.
Thank you. I think linear is best so far.
Look at the start, mid, and end points of your sweep. Move them around. You can make it peak anywhere you’d like.
How does this differ or interact with the taper?

If the dot is moving smoothly all the way across proportionate to your pedal movement speed, the expression pedal is doing it's job. Beyond that, you can adjust the taper in the Wah block, or adjust the modifier graph shape to fine tune the response to your liking. Most common Vox/Crybaby style wah pedals tend to have more of the sweep action towards the toe down side of the sweep. The linear taper in the Wah block will spread the action more towards the heel side. The smaller number Log tapers below 30A will make it bunch up even more towards the toe down side. It's largely a personal preference thing.

Changing the taper in the Wah block and adjusting the modifier graph shape accomplish basically the same thing. They are affecting how your physical pedal movements translate to the changing resistance values in the virtual wah pot in terms of speed and position in the sweep range.

If the dot is moving smoothly all the way across proportionate to your pedal movement speed, the expression pedal is doing it's job. Beyond that, you can adjust the taper in the Wah block, or adjust the modifier graph shape to fine tune the response to your liking. Most common Vox/Crybaby style wah pedals tend to have more of the sweep action towards the toe down side of the sweep. The linear taper in the Wah block will spread the action more towards the heel side. The smaller number Log tapers below 30A will make it bunch up even more towards the toe down side. It's largely a personal preference thing.

Changing the taper in the Wah block and adjusting the modifier graph shape accomplish basically the same thing. They are affecting how your physical pedal movements translate to the changing resistance values in the virtual wah pot in terms of speed and position in the sweep range.
This is very thorough and helpful. Cheers @mr_fender!

Audio taper pot in your control pedal I would guess. I've had to mod supposed dual-purpose volume pedals to linear in the past to get the correct sweep when controlling midi.

this was a good thread, but after trying all of the recommended options, I'm unable to get my EV-1 to sweep correctly. It goes from 0 to 10, with no range. When I calibrated it, it worked perfectly in the setup screen.

I got it sorted. In Setup|Pedal 1Setup it was set to 1 switch tip rather than expression. I'm learning that as I navigate, I have to be super careful not to change parameters without noticing it!

Never thought of it does it matter if my volume and wah EV1 pedals are plugged into the FC12 ? I have them plugged into the AXE III unit - thanks Guys

Never thought of it does it matter if my volume and wah EV1 pedals are plugged into the FC12 ? I have them plugged into the AXE III unit - thanks Guys
If you want the convenience of plugging into the FC-12 rather than the III, then yes you would need to calibrate the pedals via the FC option. If what you’re doing now works, there’s no need to do this however.

Back
Top Bottom