Is the Mk I now a little outdated?

The idea that the MKI is obsolete compared to the MKII simply because it can't save FullRes IR's on the device (even though it can utilize them) is truly and utterly stupid. The FM9 doesn't have Tone Matching or IR Capture capabilities (like the MKI does) but it's certainly not obsolete, and those are far bigger omissions. Is the FM9 outdated because it can't save FullRes IR's? Of course not. Seriously, people. Just stop.

Last edited:
Is my Mesa Mark III obsolete because of the Mark V? Yep, I threw it in the trash.
Sorry to point out the obvious, the concepts of being outdated for analog gear and digital gear are vastly different...

A good analog amp either becomes obsolete or end up being a vintage classic (like some classic Fender amps), but that simply doesn't happen for digital gear, where generally newer gen is almost always superior.

Yes, but does a new version mean the current version now sucks? If it was good the day before the latest and greatest was released, it is still good.
If my AF3 Mark I is still functional in 20 years, it will still sound good.

Yes, but does a new version mean the current version now sucks? If it was good the day before the latest and greatest was released, it is still good.
If my AF3 Mark I is still functional in 20 years, it will still sound good.
Absolutely, the MK I is still a killer unit, and vastly superior than almost anything outside of Fractal land.

Strangely, how human psychology works is that, our happiness is not built on absolute value but value difference/relatives when comparing with others.

For example, technically speaking most people's current life experience is likely VASTLY richer and superior than the king of England from hundreds of years ago, but do many people feel as happy, privileged and satisfying like a King? No, simply because the "Kings (super rich)" in this age is completely redefined.

Such is one of the ironies of life, I guess, e.g. happiness is something we are all after but never fully achieve.

That being said. No, I don't believe MK I is not outdated.

It'd most likely be more than sufficient for many folk's use cases!

However, it's no longer the best or newest Fractal flagship, sorry if that hurts your pride.

FullRez IRs are awesome! Too bad MK I couldn't fully support it. This is the real bummer, IMHO. However, all hope is not lost yet:
View attachment 89633
Using light mode when there is a dark mode? You madman! 😳

What baffles me is that apparently people think that FullRes is the new standard and that you HAVE TO use it or else you will be labeled a caveman.

"MKI outdated, we gotta go back to drawing on cave walls HELP!"

FullRes is nothing but a nice gimmick that can mimic-ed with a reverb block. Maybe I just don't have the bat like hearing where I can count the individual bits in a guitar signal, but it's just as good
I'm calling it now: A year from now, very few will use or even care about FullRes.

I think the cool thing about FullRes is the convenience. You can get the same, or very similar results with the current tools, but it is nice to just slap an IR on there without additional tweaking on other blocks

I'm calling it now: A year from now, very few will use or even care about FullRes.
I think your prediction is way off.

I think a year from now on, anyone who plays with headphones or in-ears and whose Axe FX units supports FullRez IRs will be using it most of the time.

I think your prediction is way off.

I think a year from now on, anyone who plays with headphones or in-ears and whose Axe FX units supports FullRez IRs will be using it most of the time.
Sorry, I really can't see that happening. I've used IEM a lot, and would never want FullRes in that situation. As said earlier, this is a fun little gimmick for the few who use headphones and like "that sound" (which far from everyone does to begin with), nothing more.

Sorry, I really can't see that happening. I've used IEM a lot, and would never want FullRes in that situation. As said earlier, this is a fun little gimmick for the few who use headphones and like "that sound" (which far from everyone does to begin with), nothing more.
Initially, I was very skeptical about this FullRez thingy as well, and that's how I thought about it. I am certainly no stranger to similar ideas and often put a subtle room reverb after my main reverb in my patches.

In fact, I was so non-interested in it, I didn't even try any of the public betas.

Finally after the final release, I upgrade my unit and figured out how to dial it in, initially I still thought these FullRez IRs sounds just like some good room reverbs. Then a few days later, I realize they are much more than that, and I could no longer live without them when using headphone or studio monitors.

Sorry to point out the obvious, the concepts of being outdated for analog gear and digital gear are vastly different...

A good analog amp either becomes obsolete or end up being a vintage classic (like some classic Fender amps), but that simply doesn't happen for digital gear, where generally newer gen is almost always superior.
Aaah, but my Axe Standard is Vintage. 😄

For me …. I have à Mark 1 …it s not à question of using Fullres Ir s or not ,
For a mot of peuple , i suppose … i m in that case , offeraing myself an Axe III represents a huge amount of money , many sacrifices … even if thé unit deserves thé Value in terms of playing , pleasure … updates of Fw , presets and more !!!
But not all of us can décide to buy those type of product when they want … so seing thé unit on his way of being … obsolète after two years can disturb a bit , thé same as happen now with FullIr s will happen with others stuff in a near future ….

Back
Top Bottom