Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00

I have just installed FW17. I wasn't going to, as I am a happy 16.05 MkI user, but curiosity won out regarding FullRes. A couple of observations:

1) Oh dear lord, yes it's true. It is like tasting sugar in your coffee for the first time (if you're into that).

2) For other LT TV Mix 7 luddites out there - the files from the 17b4 forum sound great with the only IR I ever use. I have them at about -17 and it just adds some nice... sugar? Nothing too extreme as I don't actually want an AITR sound.

3) I am SO tempted to use this live. I know it's not the intended purpose, but quite apart from making it sound like an AITR, at lower mixes it just adds something gorgeous that the room parameter doesn't.

4) I am now one of those annoying people that hopes at least some space can be made for MkI if at all possible.... but I trust the decision of the Jedi.

When activating the tuner in Axe-edit it doesn't mute anymore, I checked and it's set to mute output. A bug or am I missing something?
Strange stuff. No issues with Tuner on this version for me. Muting and working fine when activating from FC6 or from front panel. However, I wasn't able to update from the Fractal bot unless I had the downloaded version on my desktop. Oh well, no worries. It's all working fine at this point so no complaints!

This is another amazing update! I’ve been playing mostly through headphones, as my older son has come back home for a couple months, and my usual time to practice is during my son’s night-shift sleep pattern. I finally had some time to play through my Adam A7X speakers today. I’ve enjoyed the sounds put out by all of the my different versions of AxeFX (Ultra up to present day AF3 MkII), but the tones today were somewhat breathtaking. I only played through one preset today, and it was soooo good that I wanted to just keep playing , rather than wasting any time switching between presets. Surprisingly enough, I hadn’t yet added in the FullRes cab(s) on this preset! So, I have a little more icing, that I can slather on at my discretion. What a very special magic box we have. Thank you very much Cliff and all at Fractal Audio!
Lee

I finally tried FullRes. I honestly love completely bone dry tones, but I just had to give these a shot, and I am really blown away by the difference in feel. I mean, it really does, to me, accomplish the feeling of AITR, amazingly. The York 4 x 12 Brit Greenback Room L is feels just like it's breathing, for lack of a better term. @York Audio and @Valhallir, thank you so much for making these free IRs available.

@FractalAudio Thanks as always for these innovations that make this box feel truly not like rack gear for some studio, but a living breathing instrument for a player, and the ultimate tool for any studio!

Last edited:
Really loving the FullRez IR currently, they are awesome!

On the other hand, they consume A LOT of CPU/DSP power. Looking at the graph of these FullRez IRs room IRs:
1. Normal IR contains little infor after 6ms.
2. FullRez IR contains little infor before 6ms.

I wonder if there is certain optimization one can do on the processing of the FullRez IR, which take advantage of the fact there is little info before 6ms and hence only process the latter half of the FullRez IR before mixing with the normal IR, as a result we'd save a good chunk of CPU... :p

Is this possible or completely wishful thinking? @FractalAudio :p

1633330867945.png

On the other hand, they consume A LOT of CPU/DSP power. Looking at the graph of these FullRez IRs room IRs:

I wonder if there is certain optimization one can do on the processing of the FullRez IR, which take advantage of the fact there is little info before 6ms and hence only process the latter half of the FullRez IR before mixing with the normal IR, as a result we'd save a good chunk of CPU... :p

View attachment 89571

I bet you could trim the leading silence and dial it back in via the distance knobs....

It is a pleasure to practice with headphones and FullResIR over a backing track. If I could practice with this 30 years ago, maybe I would have already learnt to play :D

This is the FAS Buttery amp pushed with the Tube Drive 3-knob. YA 4x12 Brit Greenback Room at -12dB. No reverb

Last edited:
Yeah I've been playing through headphones a lot more with FullRes. The added depth really takes the fatiguing edge off playing through cans. It has reminded me how much I get annoyed by sweaty ears on long playing sessions. Time to pick up some good open back cans.

View attachment 89571
That 6 ms is only about half a percent of the total IR length of the FullRes IR, so I'm not sure it would really make that much difference in the CPU load, but who knows. Every little bit helps.

View attachment 89571
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/is-the-mk-i-now-a-little-outdated.177303/post-2157838

Back
Top Bottom