“Jesus, is there anything you people don’t bitch about”

I just went to Google maps to find my old alley hangout. Here it is! New fence must keep pesky kids out but 45 years ago that might've been my bike.

View attachment 89394
👍No fence would keep us out when we were kids - we were like little rodents - getting into everything. I'm dissappointed in my neighbourhood kids' resourcefullness - we have what would have qualified in 1968 as a cutthru backyard, but, never seen a kid cut thru the way we certainly would have back in the day to save the walk around the block + at risk of being yelled at by some cranky old cumudgeon. Very dissappointing.

Wanna hear about spoiled? If you climbed the fence at the edge of the tiny lot where my childhood home was, you landed in the alley BEHIND AN APPLIANCE STORE! Not only did we drag home all kinds of giant boxes, but other packing materials were discarded there as well. The first time we found some styrofoam inserts there (early 70s?) it was like an alien treasure. My art-school mom used to paint the control panels, hatches, and portholes on our spacecraft, pirate ships, and mad scientist lab equipment. At one point we had a full on "Yellow Submarine" with a couple of old compacts and a cardboard tube for a periscope. Simple times. Good times.

OMG memories! We used to have the Random House book warehouse up in my area and we would dumpster dive and find all kinds of great treasures in there!!!!

My playground was a car graveyard. Cannibalizing parts from the dashboards, and discovering that the needle of these meters was moving using a small battery may have been the inspiration to become electronic hobbyist at a very early age, and later an engineer.

I'm from '65

Also, keep in mind guys, all the escapades we're talking about occurred OUTDOORS. I cycle and walk in the evenings and have for years, I rarely see kids playing outside. Back in my old neighborhood there were kids everywhere outside after school until dark, at least playing in their own front yards/out in the street etc etc. It really does amaze me how they're mostly inside now looking at a screen. Or when I do see kids outside/in the park they're looking at their phones. My how times have changed. I shudder to think how things will be in another 50 years.

Depends on the kids and where you live. I see lots of kids playing outside all the time in my neighborhood. Riding bikes, building forts in the woods next to our subdivision, having nerf wars, ya know fun kid stuff. I know that's not the case everywhere, but there's still lots of kids around being kids. Sadly, I think kids do have to grow up a bit faster these days. Things just aren't as carefree as they used to be. We were all a lot more blissfully ignorant back then.

My playground was a car graveyard. Cannibalizing parts from the dashboards, and discovering that the needle of these meters was moving using a small battery may have been the inspiration to become electronic hobbyist at a very early age, and later an engineer.

I'm from '65
65 model (high mileage) also :).

Depends on the kids and where you live. I see lots of kids playing outside all the time in my neighborhood. Riding bikes, building forts in the woods next to our subdivision, having nerf wars, ya know fun kid stuff. I know that's not the case everywhere, but there's still lots of kids around being kids.
I'm happy to hear this!

Depends on the kids and where you live. I see lots of kids playing outside all the time in my neighborhood. Riding bikes, building forts in the woods next to our subdivision, having nerf wars, ya know fun kid stuff. I know that's not the case everywhere, but there's still lots of kids around being kids. Sadly, I think kids do have to grow up a bit faster these days. Things just aren't as carefree as they used to be. We were all a lot more blissfully ignorant back then.
Yes, in some ways though, I think we matured faster socially back then because we had our own kids social circle at a young age without parents or adults involved/constantly supervising (kinda like the Peanuts - kids doing their own thing - no adults in sight except a few that say wha wha wha). When we got into trouble we had to figure our own ways out without help.

When the axe II v2 came out there was complaining, same as the XL, then when the mkII was said to be at EOL and the XL wasn’t there was tons of complaining (Cliff came through and gave the original tons more life though) When the ax8 came out there was complaining, same with the III, when the fm3 came out tons of uproar, heck, some ax8 and II are still looking for an update lol

It’s been like this for ages and it’s always going to be like this, it’s just human nature and it’s just business

Silly to pretend that we are seeing anything new or unique
sort of a new model of a mobile phone like iPhone here... business, technology update, etc...

Back
Top Bottom