Son's and Daughter's day???? WTF???

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Hallmark bullshit holidays have always been, but I have never heard of this, until this year on Facebook. WTF? Do we need a holiday for everything? My son and daughter get treated well daily. I do not think they need a day, because everyday is son and daughter's day. I guess it is the pansy, everyone gets a trophy mentality, of todays society, that gets to me.

I wholeheartedly agree, especially with the, "We don't want to damage the loser's self esteem, so we give them participation trophies."
The problem with this mentality, is it sets young people up to not know how to deal with failure. Maybe, if instead of giving some bullshit trophy, you told the kids who lost, how to improve themselves, next time they'd win.

The world is a competitive place, and without knowing the "agony of defeat," you won't get a drive for improvement. No, you don't want to let your kids get hit by a car to teach them to not play in the street, but you also don't want to protect them from everything in life that will hurt, because those are the lessons that we truly remember! Jobs are being replaced by technology, which is only going to make things even more competitive, and not everyone who shows up to a job interview will get the job. So you gotta do everything in your power to set yourself apart. You just can't get by on that sense-of-entitlement attitude that things like "everyone gets a trophy" mentality propagates.

But they'll probably be tons of people who will jump on this "kid's day" hallmark holiday BS, enough that other kids will feel left out and complain, and the parents will be too busy or lazy to use it as a teaching moment, and instead just give in, again, so as to not hurt der wittle fwagile self esteem, just like they do when letting kids who are too young, have cell phones.

Yeah, I can go off on tangents when it's related to issues I feel weaken us as a society. Ok, stepping down down... ;)

Hallmark bullshit holidays have always been, but I have never heard of this, until this year on Facebook. WTF? Do we need a holiday for everything? My son and daughter get treated well daily. I do not think they need a day, because everyday is son and daughter's day. I guess it is the pansy, everyone gets a trophy mentality, of todays society, that gets to me.
As @iaresee said, "Facebook is the problem". I agree. I do think these ideas are drummed up to drive the need for people to post more crap on Facebook and social media in general. I also continually bring up the point of, would anyone be doing the crap they are doing if it wasn't for the need to post it on the internet? I feel bad for kids these days. I wasn't aware "until social media" of the expectations put on boys now to ask a girl to a dance or something. It's become a whole 'event' now, probably more goes into that than the actual event. And for what? To post on social media. Same with 'gender' reveals, and so on... Everyone is living to post crap on the internet. That is sad!

Edit: Also, to add, I know get to feel 'guilty' too for not being aware it was sons/daughters day ;)

I wholeheartedly agree, especially with the, "We don't want to damage the loser's self esteem, so we give them participation trophies."
The problem with this mentality, is it sets young people up to not know how to deal with failure. Maybe, if instead of giving some bullshit trophy, you told the kids who lost, how to improve themselves, next time they'd win.

The world is a competitive place, and without knowing the "agony of defeat," you won't get a drive for improvement. No, you don't want to let your kids get hit by a car to teach them to not play in the street, but you also don't want to protect them from everything in life that will hurt, because those are the lessons that we truly remember! Jobs are being replaced by technology, which is only going to make things even more competitive, and not everyone who shows up to a job interview will get the job. So you gotta do everything in your power to set yourself apart. You just can't get by on that sense-of-entitlement attitude that things like "everyone gets a trophy" mentality propagates.

But they'll probably be tons of people who will jump on this "kid's day" hallmark holiday BS, enough that other kids will feel left out and complain, and the parents will be too busy or lazy to use it as a teaching moment, and instead just give in, again, so as to not hurt der wittle fwagile self esteem, just like they do when letting kids who are too young, have cell phones.

Yeah, I can go off on tangents when it's related to issues I feel weaken us as a society. Ok, stepping down down... ;)

I remember getting "participation trophies" in the '70's. This isn't a new thing as some suggest. And as far as the hallmark holiday, so people post something on facebook or something saying they love their sons or daughters. So what. On the list of societal problems that's way, way, way down the list.

SMH. Next thing you know there will be National First Cousins day. My kids are doing just fine in their lives without me posting a picture of them on FB (which they never go on anyway) or any social media for that matter. They know I'm proud of them and their accomplishments.

Click on it or like it, and suddenly FB knows you have kids. One more data point they can to put you in what they call an audience to make available to advertisers to target you with ads.

As @iaresee said, "Facebook is the problem". I agree. I do think these ideas are drummed up to drive the need for people to post more crap on Facebook and social media in general. I also continually bring up the point of, would anyone be doing the crap they are doing if it wasn't for the need to post it on the internet? I feel bad for kids these days. I wasn't aware "until social media" of the expectations put on boys now to ask a girl to a dance or something. It's become a whole 'event' now, probably more goes into that than the actual event. And for what? To post on social media. Same with 'gender' reveals, and so on... Everyone is living to post crap on the internet. That is sad!

Edit: Also, to add, I know get to feel 'guilty' too for not being aware it was sons/daughters day ;)

I quit ALL social media during the past year. Had to for mental health reasons. The most insane thing is
I had what I thought were good friends later tell me that due to my lack of involvement on the various platforms
that we could not be "friends" any longer.

That's what those platforms get people to do---to value the platform and investment/involvement in it more
than actual existence and real life. Have no idea how humanity survived for millennia without social media. ;)

Click on it or like it, and suddenly FB knows you have kids. One more data point they can to put you in what they call an audience to make available to advertisers to target you with ads.

When do we all start getting royalties on the data that gets mined from us so religiously now?

Is it too much to ask? :)

Might sound like a joke, but I am kind of serious. If $$ are being made from data mining then the holders
of the data (us) should see a cut as if it is a mineral..,. or... uhmmmm other commodity, which it is.

So we should get rid of Father’s Day and Mother’s Day too. And valentines… they get treated well daily.

I quit ALL social media during the past year. Had to for mental health reasons. The most insane thing is I had what I thought were good friends later tell me that due to my lack of involvement on the various platforms
that we could not be "friends" any longer.

That's what those platforms get people to do---to value the platform and investment/involvement in it more
than actual existence and real life. Have no idea how humanity survived for millennia without social media. ;)
but you are posting on social media ?

It's unfair that we only have 365 days each year, when there are so many holidays worthy of celebration. My proposed solution: the great holiday consolidation act of 2021. We start by all taking holidays that celebrate people based on their genealogical designation (e.g., fathers, mothers) and call it "person day". Ditto for religious and historically significant dates, where we just combine all celebrations into a single "event day". This clears up much needed space for "Firmware Friday" (recurring) and "Klon Emulation Dissention Day" (which occurs every Tuesday and Thursday).

#Follow me for more tips on political leadership

Back
Top Bottom