FullRes IR vs. Reverb

One of the samples below uses a FullRes IR and the other uses a Reverb block. The difference might seem obvious to some, but I think the Reverb block does a very passable job.

Sample A
Sample B

Incidentally, the FullRes IR I used is one of the two that's linked to in the latest Beta 3 firmware post(ie. V2-Viper-k-sE8-FFL.syx).

Awesome attempt.

For the record, the first thing that popped into my head was "Josie's on a vacation far away"...

Reveal:

A: Reverb
B: FullRes IR

Reverb settings are below, though it's important to note I placed the Reverb block before the Cab block for mono because the FullRes IR is in mono. Setting the Stereo Spread to 0 didn't produce the same effect. EQ, Modulation, and Ducker are at stock settings. Reverb block is attached.

Reverb Settings 1.jpg
Reverb Settings 2.jpg

Attachments

• FullRes IR Emulation_20210928_073349.blk
    713 bytes · Views: 157
Last edited:
I thought both sounded really good, but before the reveal, if I had to pick one, I would have picked A. I think we're splitting hairs at this point. It's good to know that on my Rev 1 I can achieve nearly the same thing with the Reverb block. Thanks for those settings!

I too preferred A - I picked up a lot of metallic sound in B, which I believe is some sort of phasing. Could it be that the FullRes IR needs a bit more delay to get the separation just right? It could also be that the FullRes IR was recorded in a less than ideal room?

Before I look at the results...

I preferred A and I think that's the reverb block. I think my preference is just due to years of using a room reverb block when I play to add a little space to things. B seemed drier.

Both sounded very good and either would be excellent to play with, for me.

Edit: It was the reverb block! It was a total guess on my part. I have nothing to hang that guess on and probably couldn't repeat the guess if you change up the tones.

It's interesting you used Plate for the match and not a room algorithm. My usual "add some reverb all the time" has been Medium Room as of late. I like the balance of high and low frequency reflections in that algorithm. The plates always seemed too bright for my tastes.

I preferred A and I think that's the reverb block. I think my preference is just due to years of using a room reverb block when I play to add a little space to things. B seemed drier.

I almost never use reverb, at least for monitoring, but to me the FullRes sample sounded like reverb without "real" sample. Kind of washed out and lacking definition.

I'm always running a little Medium Room on my patches. Live, I'll dial it all back from the global settings to dry it out.
I had like 15 year pause in guitar playing, and after I got back, I very soon started using digital gear. So maybe I just forgot AITR sound years ago and don't miss it at all.

I too guessed A was the reverb, because it was a little smoother than the IR. I suspect the smoothing parameter on the IR could be used to even out the phase issues a little, but I can't test it.

Back
Top Bottom