Ooooh... Charts and Graphs Redux

I had the "other product" for a few months and it definitely sounded warm right out of the box. I seem to gravitate to that so I found I wasn't tinkering very much as I do with other modelers. I had a low pass on at about 8K as I do with all modelers.

I had the "other product" for a few months and it definitely sounded warm right out of the box. I seem to gravitate to that so I found I wasn't tinkering very much as I do with other modelers. I had a low pass on at about 8K as I do with all modelers.
I wonder if Cliff is amused or annoyed.

I wonder if Cliff is amused or annoyed.
Not my intent to offend anyone. At the end of the day, if it sounds good, it's good. My problem with the other product was the feature set and instability. For amusement, I watch Frog Leap.

"Quad Cortex in studio has more harmonic content as fractal, i can say only this.
Amazing job at Neural DSP." comment I just saw on Ola Englunds channel.

Someone tell me wtf this person was saying ^
Since digital sound is all maths anyway, I will explain it with math and a twist of irony. He says that thankfully the QC does not have a weaker fundamental on the stage.

Here's another comparison between the real amp (green), Axe-Fx (purple) and Product B (blue). I've reduced the sweep frequency so the first three harmonics are captured. The reason the Axe-Fx looks "better" than the amp is because there's less thermal noise than the real amp.

View attachment 89068

Here the Axe FX3 produces 2dB more second harmonic distortion, and the new thing produces 28 dB more second harmonic distortion. That could be part of "more harmonic content".

Here's another interesting one. Frequency response comparison. 5150. All knobs at noon except MV at 9:00, Presence and Depth at zero to minimize influence of speaker impedance since Product B's speaker impedance isn't user adjustable.

Green trace is amp. Purple is Axe-Fx. Blue is Product B.

freq_response.PNG

That’s amazing. The differences between the Axe and really amp are incredibly small. Product ”B” is aprox 5db out in the low (hyped) and highly filtered at 10 KHz. That’s a very dramatic deviation from the actual amp.

I guess that B's 5150 model is not based on identically the same amp as the Axe-Fx's model. Isn't it expected, that the Axe-Fx's frequency response is much closer to the real amp's frequency response on which the Axe-Fx's model is based on?

Or was the measurement done with an amp capture?
There isn't that much deviation between particular copies of an amp.

There isn't that much deviation between particular copies of an amp.
That would depend on how the amp sounds were recorded. Microphone choice and position, or direct in. These graphs also don't take into account people's personal captures of the competing product which is its major selling point. I don't think they are trying to compete with Fractal as much as they are trying to bump Kemper out of the way. I had a side by side setup with the new against my kemper. Sold the kemper. Had the intention of keeping both my Fractal and the new one but after finding how far behind the effects were, I dumped it. Fractal alone now.

Back
Top Bottom