Is it somehow possible to use apple airpods pro with AXE 3 as in ear monitoring system ?

You would need some sort of Bluetooth interface that the Axe3 will feed into, then your Apple Pods will connect to that interface.

However, I can imagine the latency will be terrible (I have not tried it so don't take my word for it).

Hey there

I tried using Samsung in ear buds with a china bluetooth audio adapter, but i was getting latency on the signal. Didn't timer it, but just guessing the audio was delayed by almost 2 seconds.

Pick the string and wait for the sound.. didnt work for me.

You'd need a bluetooth adapter of some sort, and latency would not be good, but, in a previous version of iPods (forgot which) Apple improved latency in an effort to make them viable for gaming - still not workable imo but there's hope given efforts in that direction.

the average guitar player begins to notice latency by ~7ms, and it starts becoming a problem by 10ms.
where did you get those stats? I've always seen higher numbers stated (for guitar, can be noticable starting at 10-15ms) which made sense to me since distance latency is 1ms per foot - not sure most guitarists would hear/feel latency playing their tube amp 10ft in front of them.

where did you get those stats? I've always seen higher numbers stated (for guitar, can be noticable starting at 10-15ms) which made sense to me since distance latency is 1ms per foot - not sure most guitarists would hear/feel latency playing their tube amp 10ft in front of them.
There's a IEEE study that was published a couple of years ago measuring the affect of latency on many players of various abilities and instruments. The study was absolutely fascinating. (I am an EE that develops products for musicians, so I needed these stats for a design I was working on). As I mentioned, guitarists begin to feel it by 7ms. By 10-15ms it is beginning to affect your playing. So that may be the difference.

Last edited:
Would love to read the IEEE paper. Have you the publication number or a link? Surprised they would get into something like latency effects on musicians…

Would love to read the IEEE paper. Have you the publication number or a link? Surprised they would get into something like latency effects on musicians…
Sorry, it was an AEC study, not IEEE. It is called "the Effects of Latency on Live Sound Monitoring" by Michael Lester and Jon Boley. Sorry, I can't share it because I have access through subscription. But, if it is out there, this would be enough to find it.

Ah — thought that sounded a little bit outside IEEE’s wheelhouse. I know Micheal from Shure when he schooled me on best deployment of large-venue wireless antennae — he does their DSP engineering and certainly knows his stuff. You’re referencing his AES paper from 2007 — I think it was his master thesis @Perdue? Matters not, since I’m pretty sure the Laws Of Physics with regard to human perception haven’t changed much since then. The paper is a slightly hefty read but a PDF is available at
http://jd-xlabs.com/AES_Latency.pdf

Dave Rat has also done a lot of work on latency in touring stage monitor systems — one of the reasons the RHCP stuck with using an analog monitor console even though the FOH board was digital. You can search for his stuff via Pro Sound News “Study Hall”. Turns out that even the minimal latency difference between digital processing (of the highest caliber) and a singer hearing his own voice in his head (b/c IEMs block out more stage volume/noise) was deemed an issue compared to the immediacy of a full analog signal chain. Probably doesn’t really apply to instruments as the player/amp distance (as noted in this thread) creates its own “air latency”…

I love the that folks are starting to pay more attention to latency affects on “performance connection”.

Back
Top Bottom