Sticking with the FM3? Upgrading to FM9? Why?

So yeah. about that.

The FM3 that I bought on July 10th, I just sold and shipped it to a gentleman in CO today. I miss it already. I feel like I have NOTHING to plug all these guitars into! It's a lonely feeling, but it should not last long.

I had planned to sell the FM3 and upgrade to an FM9. I mean, that is what I told myself. The truth was as soon as I played the FM3 it was only a matter of time before I upgraded to the FXIII Mk II. I was never going to be able to settle for less. Soon I won't have to.

I've ordered the Axe-FX3/FC-6 bundle. I hope the man who bought my FM3 is as impressed with it as I am.

I hope everyone is having an awesome week!

2 FM3s are equal to 1 FM9, less than one FM9, or greater than 1 FM9??

This is a riddle I am trying to resolve. :)

I am going to opine on this having had my 9 now for what, three days…
and having experimented with many assorted hybrid FAS rigs..AX8/FX8, AX8/II/III/FM3/FC6, etc.
to my ear ,eye, fingers and foot , the zeitgeist of this all-in one is Much Greater than any combo Ive tried….(the III/FC12 wold be the closest to equivalent, but I haven’t triedit)
’the FC Layout is instantly intuitive out of the box, the stock presets I have tried are way better than on FM3, and rival or surpass some on the III due to the built in modulation capabilies (many many Easter eggs to Be found) in the FCs and pedal settings.
The feel, tone and secret input sauce are identical to III to my ear …. prossibly due to honeymoon placebo , but seems even more fun to play loud through a CLR/Xitone than anything………
winner from moment 1 for my vote.

I was elated with my FM3. Now, well they need to send a poet. I don't have the words.

(The 5U rack will be here next week, and yeah that's a repurposed bed tray table now working as "studio furniture." :p)

I have one more shift to work, then I can get to the real work: Diving into this beast.

Attachments

• DSC00535.JPG
    DSC00535.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 41

I suppose 2 FM3 would actually be capable of running more stuff simultaneously. It's just that managing them is a total nightmare. FM3-Edit only supports one device at a time and since there's no SPDIF in, chaining them together would be its own challenge. Even in a stereo rig where each runs separately you would probably have issues with having to make room adjustments to both etc.

Based on that 1 FM9 > 2 FM3.

I suppose 2 FM3 would actually be capable of running more stuff simultaneously. It's just that managing them is a total nightmare. FM3-Edit only supports one device at a time and since there's no SPDIF in, chaining them together would be its own challenge. Even in a stereo rig where each runs separately you would probably have issues with having to make room adjustments to both etc.

Based on that 1 FM9 > 2 FM3.

I haven't had any issues, since it mostly for real-time live usage when I am running both.
It is convenient being able to switch on /off effects on each unit individually for some wet/dry
fun. Not sure I could do that with the FM9. I am assuming running a dual amp setup on a single
preset I would not have that kind of freedom. Not sure, though---since I don't own one.

I am going to opine on this having had my 9 now for what, three days…
and having experimented with many assorted hybrid FAS rigs..AX8/FX8, AX8/II/III/FM3/FC6, etc.
to my ear ,eye, fingers and foot , the zeitgeist of this all-in one is Much Greater than any combo Ive tried….(the III/FC12 wold be the closest to equivalent, but I haven’t triedit)
’the FC Layout is instantly intuitive out of the box, the stock presets I have tried are way better than on FM3, and rival or surpass some on the III due to the built in modulation capabilies (many many Easter eggs to Be found) in the FCs and pedal settings.
The feel, tone and secret input sauce are identical to III to my ear …. prossibly due to honeymoon placebo , but seems even more fun to play loud through a CLR/Xitone than anything………
winner from moment 1 for my vote.

Doooooooood! You're hurting me with that kind of talk. :)

Congrats!

That input impedance thing-a-ma-job is something I'd never experience with an FM3. No matter
how many I ran at the same time. ;)

I haven't had any issues, since it mostly for real-time live usage when I am running both.
It is convenient being able to switch on /off effects on each unit individually for some wet/dry
fun. Not sure I could do that with the FM9. I am assuming running a dual amp setup on a single
preset I would not have that kind of freedom. Not sure, though---since I don't own one.

Well, I don't own an FM9 (or an Axe-III), however, since you can run dual amps, and multiple instances of effects such as Delay 1 and Delay 2, and/or Reverb 1 and Reverb 2...I assume you could toggle on/off these specific effects, presuming they are put in parallel path with the 2nd instance of the amp.

I have the Axe Fx III racked in the studio, FM3 and now just got the FM9. I sold an FM3. I actually had two. I have a band and a studio. I set up the bass rig with a FM3 and XiTone powered wedge. So I’m still hanging on to that one. I still have a AX8 I hope to sell. But I think the FM3 is a good little unit to have. But my live rig will be the FM9

Didn't know you actually had two. How do you run them and how do you manage e.g. preset switching and stuff? Just chained together via MIDI or?

I am running them parallel into separate amps and cabs on each side of the drums/drummer.

They are not linked together. I just split my guitar signal before running into them. Too dumb
for MIDI and any kind of master/slave setup.

Love the results I am getting. :)

I own an FM3 and FC6 and will stick with it because offers the flexibility to use the small form-factor FM3 with an additional two switch box for rehearsals and gigs like duos at small venues or the FM3 and FC6 with two expression pedals when space isn’t an issue or I need more control for more complicated music. One other advantage to the combo of the FM3 and FC6 is it can be separated to be on each side of a microphone stand and angled inwards. Yes, I wish it had a tiny amount more power for “kitchen sink” presets, but it’s nothing that is debilitating. The FM3 and FC6 is a huge improvement over my AxFx II and MFC even though I gigged with it for 5+ years without incident. Fractal Rocks!

Slightly off topic, but I sold my III MK I intending to move to the FM9. I got on the list, and have a slew of great amps to play until my name comes up. My band of the last dozen or so years was a casualty of the pandemic, so I thought it was an opportune time to downsize, refresh my setup by starting from scratch, blah blah blah. Also put my RJM Mastermind GT/22 on the block.

After spending several days on a deep dive comparing units (FM3-9, FC pedal combos) with what I personally needed, I reached a decision. I’m going to buy the Axe Fx III MK 2, keep the RJM to run it. Why? Because both fit what I do and want to do:

1. Getting the MK 2 brings me back to Tony Montana “The World Is Yours” territory, and I’ve loved the unlimited nature of that with each FAS flagship unit since the Ultra. Might as well continue the run.
2. I don’t play anywhere a 3-6 space rack won’t fit.
3. I love the RJM unit. It’s bigger top to bottom than the FM9, but is actually a little smaller side to side. Combined with the III, it’s an FM22. The world is mine.

It’s about what works for you, and this works perfectly for me. I wasn’t planning on upgrading, the MK 1 is incredible. But being as I sold it during a period of opportunity, I don’t mind kicking in a couple of hundred to step up. Is there a good side to this (and for you guys having to slog through this post)? Yes. It looks like I’ll be passing when my FM9 invite arrives. One more for you guys on the list behind me!

It hurts a little to even think this could be the case, but I may pass, too.

I am just super stoked with the dual FM3 rig. Just know getting my head and
hands around it. I feel like I have so much to discover with this rig that I won't
be lacking for anything with it.

The FM9 is gorgoues. I am super excited for those who have one now. I am going
to have big decision to make this coming week.

It hurts a little to even think this could be the case, but I may pass, too.

I am just super stoked with the dual FM3 rig. Just know getting my head and
hands around it. I feel like I have so much to discover with this rig that I won't
be lacking for anything with it.

The FM9 is gorgoues. I am super excited for those who have one now. I am going
to have big decision to make this coming week.

Yeah, you were the first forum person I thought of when the FM9 was released after reading about your dual FM3 adventures. My thoughts are with the FM9 you can control stuff all at once without midi, which is a pretty big plus. you can edit them at the same time also. I would think its overall less hassle to have the FM9, although you will have a few less blocks overall.

I'm starting to lean towards staying with the Fm3. I'm on the wait list, but I kinda like being able to set the Fm3 off to the side and having only the FC6 directly in front of me. I'm also not sure, for my use case anyway, that the cost is really worth upgrading, except to cure my GAS! lol. I only get to play at church, and it's 3 songs per week. Hard to put another $16000 towards the gear when what I have is killing it already.

Yeah, you were the first forum person I thought of when the FM9 was released after reading about your dual FM3 adventures. My thoughts are with the FM9 you can control stuff all at once without midi, which is a pretty big plus. you can edit them at the same time also. I would think its overall less hassle to have the FM9, although you will have a few less blocks overall.

I am actually closer to pulling the trigger on a III.

The things we do, and contemplate doing, eh?? :)

Back
Top Bottom