String Choice: Ernie Ball or D'addario?

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
Among those who have really compared them, which do you prefer, and why?

I was a D'addario player forever, but then switched to Slinky's several years ago. Don't recall why. But I had a high e string breakage problem with my Majesty, so my first try at resolving the problem was to switch back. (Didn't cure the issue though. Abrasive cord found the tiny burr.)
I've compared my new Majesty to the other one, since it has Slinkys on it from the factory, and they maybe sound a bit "edgier...?" Not totally sure.
But I'm getting close to needing to re-up my strings, so I wanted to know if any of you truly prefer one over the other. Could be due to the sound, how long they last, whatever.

And over the years I have used other brands, but just settled on these 2. Plus, a buddy of mine who sounds like he knows what he's talking about tells me there's only 3 different string makers out there, and the various brands are just packaging and sets of certain gauges. Don't know for a fact if what he tells me is true, but it sounds reasonable.

My Slinkys are all gone so not positive which ones I used to use, but iirc it was a yellow package, 10's. I think just regular Slinkys. I'm using EXL140's currently, and I'm not switching gauges. I am however thinking of stringing the 20th to C standard, if that matters, as in, would a particular brand be better suited for that?

Thoughts/suggestions/likes/dislikes?
TIA

Probably have to run a thicker gauge if you are going to tune to C Standard. Otherwise, flop city. :)

I'm going to check out some Stringjoys my next purchase. Been happy with a variety of strings over
the years (mostly EB Slinkys 11-48). The only ones I didn't like were those Cobalt strings that ate up
thew frets on my Les Paul before I realized what the fuck was going on. That was a bummer.

Probably have to run a thicker gauge if you are going to tune to C Standard. Otherwise, flop city. :)

Absolutely. I checked the tension with the original strings (RPS 10-46), and to keep that same tension @ C standard, the closest match is the Not Even Slinky, 12-46. I want approximately the same tension feel under my fingers, don't want adjust the trem springs, and definitely don't want them flopping around.

The only ones I didn't like were those Cobalt strings that ate up
thew frets on my Les Paul before I realized what the fuck was going on. That was a bummer.
Damn, that sucks. Good to know!
Edit: 12-56. not 46, is the EB set that matches the tension the closest, 111.5 lbs stock; 109.9 c std w/ heavier stg ga.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I checked the tension with the original strings (RPS 10-46), and to keep that same tension @ C standard, the closest match is the Not Even Slinky, 12-46. I want approximately the same tension feel under my fingers, don't want adjust the trem springs, and definitely don't want them flopping around.
I was thinking of doing that on one of my PRS and got a set of D'addario 11-56. Haven't had the time to switch it over yet, and hoping I don't have to file the nut.

I have 10-46 on a PRS 22 and get close to the same feel with an 11-50 set tuned to drop C on my PRS 245.

I don't really want to go much above 50 or 52 due to possibly having to file the nut slots on the wound strings.

I love the primo 9.5 slinky's on a 25.5 scale tuned standard. Power slinky's 11-48 for Eb Slinky 10's for the multi scale Strandberg tuned standard .

I buy them by the case.
Because I break the $#\+ out of d'addarios

D'addario. EB's last a week, and thats playing at home not sweating at a show or practices. Never had great luck with EB, wont be buying them again. XL's work and have worked for me for over 20 years.

I bounce back and forth between the D'addario NYXL and the Ernie Ball Paradigm strings in their same size sets. They last a lot longer in my experience, and I've only seen one string break, and that was when a "friend" borrowed my guitar for a set and was deliberately trying to bend the string to death. Suffice it to say he doesn't get to touch my guitars ever now.

D'addario NYXL 10-46, just seems to be the right balance of tone, playability and longevity for my needs

Used to be GHS Boomers years ago. Not sure why I made the change but I was happy and stuck with the D'addario.

D'addario NYXL 10-46, just seems to be the right balance of tone, playability and longevity for my needs

Used to be GHS Boomers years ago. Not sure why I made the change but I was happy and stuck with the D'addario.
I’ve been using the NYXL since they came out, and really like them. The Paradigm seem to be the equivalent.

I used the Boomers for a while but really like how long the others last so I haven’t tried anything else.

I use 9s and 10s depending on the guitar and use both interchangeably. I buy whichever I get a better bulk deal on. My favourite strings are NYXL but it's hard to justify the price over the regular ones. The main thing in recent years for me has been high E strings coming unraveled at the ball end when you first put them on , Mainly on Ernie Ball. You stretch tune and the E just keeps dropping in pitch and then ping, it seems like it broke but on inspection the ball end unravelled . I have taken to soldering the wrap these days . This is probably only 1 in 20 or so sets but a PITA and not good enough. Tonally? I'm not sure I can tell the difference between them when the spec is the same.

+1

Also a Boomer user for a long time. Then my Suhrs had NYXL, and they lasted so long that I made the switch. Now I switch between different D'addario long lasting strings. Still waiting for the XS series to include electric sets.

I was a DR player for decades, then about 3-4 years ago they started having serious QC issues, never got straightened out to my knowledge.
In an attempt to replace my beloved DRs, I tried every string out there. Wound up settling on NYXL, they sound and last as good as the DRs did (might even last a tad bit longer), at twice the cost they aren't cheap, but I can't stand crappy strings, and they are certainly not crappy.

I've tried almost everything but always went back to EB Pure Nickels for sound/price. When I bought my Ibanez AZ a couple of months ago the seller had NYXL's on it and an extra pack in the case. He also had it refitted with Suhr pickups, but I could tell these strings were special.

I like NYXL strings the most, after trying EBs for a while. I use l 9.5-44 on standard tuning, 25.5" scale guitars; 10-46 on standard tuning Les Paul (24.75" scale) or when tuning 25.5" guitars to Eb.

D'Addario XL110 (10-46) for as long as I can remember, use them on my 3 Ibanez's and Gibson Les Paul, very dependable strings imo, I've never had a new set that I put on before a gig have a string break during a performance (nock on wood).

Back
Top Bottom