Metallica uses Axe Fx

The black album is done with hundreds of takes as you can see in the « one year and half « music video . They cut the tapes manually and choose the best parts. If you watch latest « holier than thou » performance at kimmel, Lars got a huge snare sound like in the black album .

There is a technique often used in metal drum production nowadays : Triggering the drums and mixing both acoustic and electronic sound in the mix .
the reverb is very important in the drum mix to make it sound huge too

The black album is done with hundreds of takes as you can see in the « one year and half « music video . They cut the tapes manually and choose the best parts. If you watch latest « holier than thou » performance at kimmel, Lars got a huge snare sound like in the black album .

Yeah. Not arguing that at all. Just saying what is heard by all of us over the years as the final mix and master
is not ALL tape. Heavy use of samples to get the final result.

In 91 they don’t cut and copy/past like « we » used to now . It was done manually . They explain it in the video . I read an interview from jourgensen (ministry), explaining the same thing in his 80’s albums, it was hours cutting tapes to do the first « samples » . But when you see the tour of the black album, Lars played the part like in the album . The performance in 91 were huge

Course, taking some actual music lessons along the way can't hurt either! (Not saying he didn't.)

Yeah, I hear ya, I have a problem with people who are literally paid to be an expert in a field, and then allow themselves to not maintain the skills necessary to deliver what fans/customers/patrons expect from a performance.

I understand this is deeper than a "do your job" comment, I am just asking the question that shouldn't you still have an equal passion for the art similar to James and Kirk? They still LOVE IT and embrace it, it has to be maddening to try and carry someone along who just focuses on napster all day.

;) #HadTo

I think we are saying the same thing, it's just a frustration with those who are no longer as passionate about what made a band the band 30 years ago. The black album is a primary reason why I learned the guitar and drums, thus why I am disappointed in the lack of passion from one of the band members... Ya know? Or am I on an island?

Sorry but Kirk don’t improve his skills since the black album . in the last two albums, he does quick improvisations only with random solos … he is not more into it than Lars . He looks less involved in the band like before . I am always defending him as he teach me a lot, but no, I don’t agree with the previous post .

Now everything is based on the sound . Music is just a sound, a production . everything’s over compressed and maxed, drum machine sound for everyone, all the guitars sound the same … that’s why I like nothing new . I prefer 10 times crappy recording with a good singer and good songs .
but I totally agree that the guitar sound we have with the axe and nowadays daw are really studio sounding . When I listen to my lovely old records, the guitar sound and the rest suck if you listen to it isolated . But the songs were so great that … it was rock n roll . I miss more and more feedbacks in records , noise . Everything is bleached . I am more and more removing the noise gate

Now everything is based on the sound . Music is just a sound, a production . everything’s over compressed and maxed, drum machine sound for everyone, all the guitars sound the same … that’s why I like nothing new . I prefer 10 times crappy recording with a good singer and good songs .
but I totally agree that the guitar sound we have with the axe and nowadays daw are really studio sounding . When I listen to my lovely old records, the guitar sound and the rest suck if you listen to it isolated . But the songs were so great that … it was rock n roll . I miss more and more feedbacks in records , noise . Everything is bleached . I am more and more removing the noise gate

Agreed.

Yeah, I hear ya, I have a problem with people who are literally paid to be an expert in a field, and then allow themselves to not maintain the skills necessary to deliver what fans/customers/patrons expect from a performance.

I understand this is deeper than a "do your job" comment, I am just asking the question that shouldn't you still have an equal passion for the art similar to James and Kirk? They still LOVE IT and embrace it, it has to be maddening to try and carry someone along who just focuses on napster all day.

;) #HadTo

I think we are saying the same thing, it's just a frustration with those who are no longer as passionate about what made a band the band 30 years ago. The black album is a primary reason why I learned the guitar and drums, thus why I am disappointed in the lack of passion from one of the band members... Ya know? Or am I on an island?

I would imagine $$$$$$$$$ and "success" makes maintaining the same level of passion really challenging.
He seems way more passionate about collecting and investing in Art now.

It's a different world when you are not hungry---literally or metaphorically---like you were earlier in your career..

I personally hope they are not using fractal as it does not sound good. It's lacking , yes it's clear as a bell but it is sluggish and weak sounding. Just my.02

Kind of like As the Palaces Burn, crappy original mastering but the songs are great.

Dont know if you have already seen it , I watch this on vhs millions of time 😅
It’s very interesting. I like these type of docs

Look at 31/32 minutes @la noise

I saw them live on the Master of Puppets Tour right before Cliff passed. Most energy I have ever felt
from the band and the crowd in an Arena show. It literally felt like they were gonna take over the world.
And they did. :)

I saw them live on the Master of Puppets Tour right before Cliff passed. Most energy I have ever felt
from the band and the crowd in an Arena show. It literally felt like they were gonna take over the world.
And they did. :)
Bloody hell they were playing fast on that tour. I got into them as a 10/11 year old. I remember taping the BBC Friday Rock Show when they premiered 4 tracks off the new AJFA album (still my favourite). Harvester, One, Shortest Straw and possibly Blackened. The day it was released we went (after school) to a mates house whose older brother had ditched school that day to go buy it. Minds were blown. I also happen to love the sound of it. Lars set down the template for modern metal drumming on that record. I also think of his drumming on that album as more of a conventional instrument as opposed to just ‘keeping the beat,’ probably because he and James wrote, jammed and arranged nearly all the music together. It’s almost, dare I say it, melodic. I think Sad But True is a later example of this.
Happy (angry?) days :)

Bloody hell they were playing fast on that tour. I got into them as a 10/11 year old. I remember taping the BBC Friday Rock Show when they premiered 4 tracks off the new AJFA album (still my favourite). Harvester, One, Shortest Straw and possibly Blackened. The day it was released we went (after school) to a mates house whose older brother had ditched school that day to go buy it. Minds were blown. I also happen to love the sound of it. Lars set down the template for modern metal drumming on that record. I also think of his drumming on that album as more of a conventional instrument as opposed to just ‘keeping the beat,’ probably because he and James wrote, jammed and arranged nearly all the music together. It’s almost, dare I say it, melodic. I think Sad But True is a later example of this.
Happy (angry?) days :)

I agree. Between Lars and Dave Lombardo it was almost impossible to find a drummer
who could play that stuff---because it was so next level at the time. :)

Back
Top Bottom