Talk box with Axe-Fx III

Glad I could help! Good luck if you decide to go with this! I’ve had no issues whatsoever. I’m sure you saw it also offers effects and subtle pitch correction for your vox, too (if you sing).
The ONLY thing that’s somewhat different: if you’re out of shape, like WAAAAAY out of shape, it’s tough to keep air on the mic for long passages you want talkbox fx. A traditional talkbox shoots the air into your mouth so all you’re doing is vowel shapes. With this pedal, you only get the effect upon signal coming in from the mic. I’m in less good shape than I care to admit and don’t have a problem to the point of failure, but for a song like living on a prayer, after the verses I feel like I just walked up a flight of stairs.

Yes this is a slight inconvenience at the moment for me as well...however ...I’m working on a possible way that would keep the guitar sound on (effected) in between vocalizing or breaths. Aside from the onboard option.

Even if it’s just the simulated effect from the axe using the formant filter or even an auto wah effect.

I love it because it eliminates the very unhygienic tube entirely. It connects to your vocal mic and processes the sound. Also makes unique and interesting synth vocoder type things.

I got my first Talk Box when I was 16. I have video of my band at the time playing a party and on a break, a couple kids coming up and just putting their mouths on it. Then in the practice space, the bassist and drummer would both want to play with it. Even when I blew it up, my drummer and I were laughing at how it was making our teeth rattle because it was so loud.....then we smelled that smell.

I’ve got enough disinfectant wipes that I can set aside a dedicated box just for the Talk Box, at least.

It's not going into the Axe-Fx. The mic picks up the signal and goes into FOH.

But if I would, I'd connect the mic to Input 3 on the Axe-Fx, with a mic preamp or something in between, assign it its own row, and make it go out Output 1 or it's own output.
@yek I have the MXR and am considering this. Any suggestions on a mic preamp to use? I play mainly at home through headphones.

I have the MXR. It's great because it has everything built in.
Hi @yek, what do you feed into the MXR talk box? The signal coming out of the cab block? Or amp block or straight from the input block? I play wireless with the receiver in the 19"rack with the AF3 so can't plug in the guitar directly. Thx / bedankt

Last edited:
Hi @yek, what do you feed into the MXR talk box? The signal coming out of the cab block? Or amp block or straight from the input block? I play wireless with the receiver in the 19"rack with the AF3 so can't plug in the guitar directly. Thx / bedankt
I can comment in the meantime Yek adds. I send signal before the amp through output 3 (set the level on front panel to max) to the MXR and return via input 3. Then I use the level of input 3 plus an Eq after input 3 to regain the gain needed. I feed then the cab out out and the Eq after input 3 into a mixer block to balance volumes. I do this as I mix the amp signal and the talkbox. It sounds much thicker.

I am happy to elaborate more and share preset if needed.

Last edited:
I use the MXR. Output 3 goes into it, and I have the output 3 block as a separate output after the amp block. Easy.

This way, I have both the guitar and talk box effect at the same time.

I drive a homemade talk box from the Axe via a Class D amp and send the mic output back to the Axe. Midi controlled relays route the mic output to either the Axe (for talkbox use) or to FOH ( for normal use).

I bought the patch to see how this guy got such a good Talk box sound and the secret sauce is in the talk box IR that he sells with the patch. Unfortunately this is a paid product so it should not be shared freely. If there is someone out there that knows how to create a Talk box IR that they wish to share then we could upload some very cool talk box patches on Axe exchange.

I bought the patch to see how this guy got such a good Talk box sound and the secret sauce is in the talk box IR that he sells with the patch. Unfortunately this is a paid product so it should not be shared freely. If there is someone out there that knows how to create a Talk box IR that they wish to share then we could upload some very cool talk box patches on Axe exchange.

I've got a talk box and a decent recording set up, I wonder if it'd just be shotting an IR of the end of the tube and then adding a formant filter to it? I'll give it a shot if anyone has any ideas.

I've got a talk box and a decent recording set up, I wonder if it'd just be shotting an IR of the end of the tube and then adding a formant filter to it? I'll give it a shot if anyone has any ideas.
I have no Idea how to do it. I also have a Talk box and I think the IR would have to be the minced sound from your mouth.

Back
Top Bottom