AITR

Here's an example of how producers commonly do it:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/AITR_Toad.mp3

The first clip is a regular IR. The second is the same IR with a stereo set of room mic IRs mixed in at -6dB.

The second clip sounds a lot more natural. It smooths out the presence nicely.

Something's Always Wrong? I haven't listened to TTWS in...a long time. I'll have to rectify that.

Doesn't ring a bell with any TTWS song right now but I love that band. They're good to bad song ratio is incredible.

I've been playing around with the room parameters in the Cab block as well as a couple of Reverbs in an attempt to somehow emulate what the FullRes IR does. I've come close enough to see the benefit; it's one of those things you don't know is missing but when you hear it and play with it awhile, it's something that is hard to do without.

As far as whether or not to implement on the Mk1, it's a new feature that can be added without completely removing an existing feature (User IRs) or affecting the overall performance. I haven't heard an explanation of how reducing the User IR storage from 2048 to 1024 slots impacts their workflow or use case.

I understand the convenience of storing IRs on the unit, as well as needing them stored for use in existing presets, but why the need for more than 1024? How often do users actually access both User banks? Do people really even have 1024 IRs that they must have access to on the Axe III? If so, please explain how you use them or the scenarios you need them for. I'm legitimately curious, I love learning new things and different approaches to creating tones and using my gear.

Their new album has some good tones and tracks on it for sure...and I love that they have a new album in 2021. :)

Listening right now, it's a really beautiful album. Glen's voice is perfect for the music and he sounds like hasn't aged in 25 years somehow. They know exactly how to turn longing and wistfulness into songs.

Here's an example of how producers commonly do it:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/AITR_Toad.mp3

The first clip is a regular IR. The second is the same IR with a stereo set of room mic IRs mixed in at -6dB.
To my ears it adds an element to the tone that sounds like it is part of a full band recording. Some may like it, others may not, but having a feature that can make an isolated track sound like part of a band playing in the same room is really cool.

The second clip sounds a lot more natural. It smooths out the presence nicely.
It was as though I’d cleaned my spectacles, and a cloudy layer had gone. Every firmware development which has enthused me over the last 12 years has done so because something which was “wrong” or confusing with the sound had been taken away. I started reading this thread thinking that longer IRs might benefit recordings, and now I’m thinking “I want that in my live sound”.

I'm actually more interested to see how the fullres will react of capturing high gain characteristics
One of the things that a great 2×12 / 4×12 does is to have that certain rumble and oomph.
And FullRes feels much more open and natural. So....

My question is if this isn't implemented on the Mk1 will that create 2 versions of firmware for the Axefx 3 to be maintained or of this the beginning of the end of updates on the Mk1?
(Btw, I would think the Mk1 would be able to run the code just fine, just never able to store or utilize the Irs)

My question is if this isn't implemented on the Mk1 will that create 2 versions of firmware for the Axefx 3 to be maintained or of this the beginning of the end of updates on the Mk1?
(Btw, I would think the Mk1 would be able to run the code just fine, just never able to store or utilize the Irs)

Even if this feature is only on the mark 2 units, The mark 1 units would absolutely still get firmware updates for years to come. Fractal has a long, long history of supporting their products. The Axe-FX standard was updated right alongside the Ultra until they were both discontinued. Same thing with the Axe-FX II Mark 1 and 2 alongside the XL and XL+ units.

Us mark 1 owners will just have to live with some limitations. No biggie. But from my understanding, all updates pertaining to anp modeling and other big stuff will reach both units and even the FM series.

Also, I see a lot of people preemptively clearing their User 2 cabs preemptively when we have no idea if the feature will make it into Mark 1 units. Don't you think you might be setting yourself up for potential disappointment?

Back
Top Bottom