AITR

Let’s hope MKI will be sufficient :)
It would be amazing if the Mk I would work. As someone suggested earlier, I fully support making the factory cabs downloadable and allowing that space to be used for FullRes IRs. Those who use the factory IRs can download what they want, and those who don’t use factory IRs could utilize that space for the FullRes experience.

I'm a bit unclear about this response - so "it doesn't sound different"? if I split any stereo IR and hard pan the 2 halves L/R vs the original stereo ir?

Hope so, as I've been doing that for years always thinking it's exactly the same.
If you are hard panning the mono left and right files as hard panned left and right and keeping the volume equal between the two IRs, yes they are the same.

I you start to alter the panning or volume or accidentally use two left files, they will start to sound different.

Sure thing. My last post addressed this last thing you said (sorry multi quotes is misbehaving on my phone);
"Sorry yes in a reverbarent room, you can capture not only the cab but even the room reflections (even though the cut at the end sounds unnatural like the room parameter which already exist in Cab Block)

and as i said “acoustically treated professional environment” I am not talking about shooting IRs in a iso box or in a dead room!"

Unless I am misinterpreting your writing, you are talking about capturing IR files in a reverberant room, but you give no specifics on the particular parameters in terms of pleasing characteristics.

You later say and even in your last post that it should be a good sounding room.

Therefore it's only fair to ask what specific measurable parameters you think makes a good sounding room.
In an another post you made clear wrong statements about stereo vs mono which got corrected by other users. And here to my responses you are putting out a lot of terms this and that and making things unnecessarily complicated.

I never went to a studio (before i owned one) and asked for decay time of live room etc...either it sounds good or not and you judge by your ears not with numbers. I never cared for all those numbers, terms for room acoustic before i needed to fix my room/studio.

And do you share for your IRs (which i bought, the HiWatt one) all the theoretical stuff you are talking about. No disrespect but i am out...too many words not much content about actual conversation...all i am saying is when i buy FullRes IRs when they pop up, i will go for ones that are made with “Room Mics” and not the ones say...” its not a room mic but it’s the full res length with an off axis mic.”

IOW Can it help make the FRFR experience more like the Cab-In-The-Room experience.

To an extent, but not entirely. You'll hear the increased decay time of the captured room reflections, but the response in the room is a physical interaction between the room surfaces and the resonance and dispersion pattern of the cab/speaker(s). No IR can change that.

To put it another way, if you used a distant mic IR and your FRFR was in an anechoic chamber, the IR would not be able to change the deadness of the room. You'd still hear the captured reflections in the IR, but they would be heard as direct sound from the cab and not coming from all around you in the room like true reflections do.

In an another post you made clear wrong statements about stereo vs mono which got corrected by other users. And here to my responses you are putting out a lot of terms this and that and making things unnecessarily complicated.

I never went to a studio (before i owned one) and asked for decay time of live room etc...either it sounds good or not! And do you share for your IRs (which i bought, the HiWatt one) all the theoretical stuff you are talking about. No disrespect but i am out...too many words not much content about actual conversation...all i am saying is when i buy FullRes IRs when they pop up, i will go for ones that are made with “Room Mics” and not the ones say...” its not a room mic but it’s the full res length with an off axis mic.”
There are physical and acoustical properties to that room which sounds pleasing to you, correct?

Can you quantify them or do you say, if someone is serving up a room mic then it must sound good?

Either you have criteria about a room that helps back your evaluation or you just go by gut.

Either way is fine, but it helps to know your thought process.

If you bought my Hiwatt pack, did you try using the fig8 mics as a room mics in terms of level blend with traditional placement mics or use the HypeReal mixes using the 414, 89,CV-12, or U97? Those give an example of the technique that I am talking about.

It would be amazing if the Mk I would work. As someone suggested earlier, I fully support making the factory cabs downloadable and allowing that space to be used for FullRes IRs. Those who use the factory IRs can download what they want, and those who don’t use factory IRs could utilize that space for the FullRes experience.

This!!!
+1

This is the best idea yet, we can download or not download factory presets per our choosing why not the factory cabs. Is it so that other products can not use them, that would make sense if that was the reason.

I would imagine that the software would have to be modified so that when you install a factory preset it would automatically install the corresponding cab IR as well if it’s not already in your library. Or the cab IR gets baked into the factory preset

Yeah, just like you can browse the Preset banks in your PC using Axe-Edit and grabbing only those you like.

There are physical and acoustical properties to that room which sounds pleasing to you, correct?

Can you quantify them or do you say, if someone is serving up a room mic then it must sound good
Either you have criteria about a room that helps back your evaluation or you just go by gut.

Either way is fine, but it helps to know your thought process.

If you bought my Hiwatt pack, did you try using the fig8 mics as a room mics in terms of level blend with traditional placement mics or use the HypeReal mixes using the 414, 89,CV-12, or U97? Those give an example of the technique that I am talking about.
Again bunch of unrelated stuff or things i never said/asked.

I never used the word MUST and said anything like “the room mics MUST sound good.”

It either sounds good to ME or not. I use, play it...and if it sounds good i don’t use bunch of theoretical words stuff to explain it (to my self or others). If does not sound good (the room in a studio or an IR...i just move on to next one).

Good luck with your IRs. (no i did not do what you said about your IRs, HypeReal blablabla,...commercial recordings i do with Axe Fx since years sound real enough for me already, i dont need a HypeReal mix of IRs etc)

So this makes me wonder, does a whole bank have to be used for the same kind of IRs, or can it be a mix? Let’s say they made the factory IRs downloadable…..in that bank, or any other bank, could I then have a mix of a few factory IRs along with a few Full Res IRs? If so, that would be awesome.

Normal IRs are 2K. FullRes IRs are 32 times larger so an entire bank would provide 32 FullRes slots.
But I thought UltraRes IR's are 8K samples or about 170 ms long. Is there some kind of file compression or other trickery that allows for all that extra sample data to be stored in the same slots as 2K long IRs? Ancient Chinese secret perhaps?

Either way, I'd be fine with even getting only a few FullRes slots on the MK1 to use. I personally have only a handful of go to IRs that I use for everything live. For recording purposes, it's so easy to swap IRs using Axe Edit, so the number of storage slots is largely irrelevant since I have basically unlimited storage space on my PC. I'd gladly manually swap them as needed to be able to still use the feature on the MK1.

Again bunch of unrelated stuff or things i never said/asked.

I never used the word MUST and said anything like “the room mics MUST sound good.”

It either sounds good to ME or not. I use, play it...and if it sounds good i don’t use bunch of theoretical words stuff to explain it (to my self or others). If does not sound good (the room in a studio or an IR...i just move on to next one).

Good luck with your IRs. (no i did not do what you said about your IRs, HypeReal blablabla,...commercial recordings i do with Axe Fx since years sound real enough for me already, i dont need a HypeReal mix of IRs etc)
I was trying to understand the basis that you had for your evaluation criteria.

Thanks for your time and your clearer explanations on the matter.

Some answers:

1. This will currently only be available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. Our other products do not have the NV memory to store the large IRs. I will look into ways of possibly supporting this on the other products. The Mark II has double the NV memory of the Mark I. All the NV memory on the Mark I is allocated. If the demand is great enough one possibility is to reduce the number of slots in the User IR banks and allocate the freed memory to FullRes slots.

If the banks were able to be variable rather than fixed in size based on your usage we could have a winner

This WOULD be lovely and has been asked long before the III and the answer was no. Hopefully that has changed. If not I cant see removing a bank of user IR's just for 32 FullRes, even though I don't use that many.

Back
Top Bottom