Bunch of Power Amp Blocks for Gtr and Bass - In case you might want them...

mistermikev

Experienced
so, was watching 2112/Leon's vid regarding setting up an external preamp w axe fx. Initially was just changing the imp curve and matching up a cab... but this still wasn't quite enough to rangle in a few of my presets. Prior to seeing Leon's vid I had considered comparing reg amp blocks to the tube pre block but did not have the confidence that I'd know the complete list of settings to change and did not move fwd. As always, Mr Todd forges the way and is a great inspiration. (thank you for that @2112 !!)

Did the work so figured why not attempt to do what little I can for this community that has given me so much so... here u go.

Incredible the amount of difference this can make to making an external preamp sound great and I've learned a few things about how the power amp is contributing to the overal sound of various amps.
I do bass and guitar.... have an MB1, SVT-IIP, T.B.Raxx, and a Triaxis... and these have really helped me dial them in. I've done 42 so far including 6 bass power amps.

process: basically, start with tube pre block, set drive and master to 6, level to -6, then copy all the tabs from power amp down to dynamics from the corresponding block.

Hope someone finds this as useful as I have!

Note, these generally reside within the 'amplifiers' folder in the blocks folder for axe fx.

1631189459647.png

Attachments

• MVPowerAmpsBkup.zip
    23 KB · Views: 63
This is so nice! Thank You! I have tried several of these blocks with an external pre-amp I have in the loop and they sound fantastic. There is a big impact on the overall sound and each power amp block has its own thing so it is fun and interesting to try out different ones.

This is so nice! Thank You! I have tried several of these blocks with an external pre-amp I have in the loop and they sound fantastic. There is a big impact on the overall sound and each power amp block has its own thing so it is fun and interesting to try out different ones.
right on, well all thanks to @2112 for the inspiration. it has taught me some things about the impact of each power amp on the over sound of the amp. in some cases it's pretty subtle but in others it's huge. anywho, glad you like em!!

So this is emulating the exact power section from the real amp?

Is this useful when using the standalone axe?

So this is emulating the exact power section from the real amp?

Is this useful when using the standalone axe?
yes, that's the idea. more accurate to say using a neutral preamp with the actual power amp since you can't eliminate the software pre completely.
I thought about using them as a pedal platform in certain instances (ie w/o an external preamp). I set one up for bass using the blackglass pedal as the pre and the mesa 400 as power amp and it sounded quite nice. Might be interesting to take an amp model and try to reset it's power amp to the sm settings as the tube pre power section and thus be able to combine preamp from amp x with power amp from amp z... but would require two amp blocks.
as I understand you do loose the interaction between power amp and preamp... but that def doesn't bother me on any of my tube pres so...

so, was watching 2112/Leon's vid regarding setting up an external preamp w axe fx. Initially was just changing the imp curve and matching up a cab... but this still wasn't quite enough to rangle in a few of my presets. Prior to seeing Leon's vid I had considered comparing reg amp blocks to the tube pre block but did not have the confidence that I'd know the complete list of settings to change and did not move fwd. As always, Mr Todd forges the way and is a great inspiration. (thank you for that @2112 !!)

Did the work so figured why not attempt to do what little I can for this community that has given me so much so... here u go.

Incredible the amount of difference this can make to making an external preamp sound great and I've learned a few things about how the power amp is contributing to the overal sound of various amps.
I do bass and guitar.... have an MB1, SVT-IIP, T.B.Raxx, and a Triaxis... and these have really helped me dial them in. I've done 42 so far including 6 bass power amps.

process: basically, start with tube pre block, set drive and master to 6, level to -6, then copy all the tabs from power amp down to dynamics from the corresponding block.

Hope someone finds this as useful as I have!

Note, these generally reside within the 'amplifiers' folder in the blocks folder for axe fx.

View attachment 88350
All very interesting! Thanks for your work on this! You too, @2112!

Back
Top Bottom