AITR

@FractalAudio sounds great and very promising for studio work.

Could you let us know about the CPU usage? (even though it would not matter too much in recording/studio situation since FXs and all are done later in DAW in 99% cases)

The reveal:

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Version 17 introduces FullRes™ Impulse Response processing. FullRes processes IRs up to 64K points with zero latency using a novel technique. This provides up to 1.33 seconds of response time. Seasoned producers and engineers often mix in “Room Mics” during recording to increase the depth and liveliness of recordings. However, the typical live room has a reverb time of 500-700 milliseconds, well beyond the 20 ms afforded by typical IR processing. FullRes allows capturing the full response of a typical live room and even the response of small-to-medium halls and clubs. FullRes can also be used for convolution reverb applications for reverb times less than 1.33 seconds.

The IR Player block and the Cabinet block both support FullRes IRs. The last two slots of the Cabinet block support FullRes. This is sufficient to provide two room mics, a left and a right, along with two direct mics within a single Cabinet block.

The new FullRes User IR bank supports up to 64 FullRes IRs. When capturing an IR selecting the USER FR bank will automatically set the IR Type to FullRes. Likewise, when setting the IR Type to FullRes the bank will automatically be set to USER FR. FullRes IRs can be processed with minimum-phase or auto-trim, if desired. However, minimum-phase is not recommended as this will tend to destroy the reflection information.

A FullRes Scratchpad is also implemented for auditioning IRs during the capture process. A new version of Cab-Lab is forthcoming which will support FullRes IR captures and management.

I can't love this enough. IMO, one of the downfalls of modern recording protocols is the omission
of the "room." Everyone and their grandma has been going for the clean, clear, direct, and cold close-micing
technique when that was only a portion of what was captured and then revealed on the most iconic
records, albums, and recordings that inspired so many of us to pick up a guitar, or play music, in the first place.

To be able offer and present more of a live in the room feel for monitoring and recording applications is so exciting. :)

Does this mean we could slice the last half of these long irs off and splice it to a normal ir creating a collection of rooms?

It gives me far-field IR vibes, but certainly more room than the FF IRs I've tried. Perhaps the simplest explanation is that they're just longer FF IRs?

Edit- guess I was late to the party

Last edited:
Sorry, I had to do this... It was flux generated sinperplexed microphone in vertical position 3.55 off-axis while being away 7mm from 5x12 metal cabinet central speaker cone running as mono cabinet connected to Line 6 Spider 75w with all effects to max and insane setting and that line 6 amp was customized to run as audio interface with spdif, but at 22.05 KHz. Microphone is connected through blackberry phone preamp app which is connected to the computer through bluetooth. That's it! Don't tell me that's not it :)

Is there a simple strategy for creating presets with this feature that can switch between recording use and live use? I'd hate to have to maintain separate presets with separate IRs for each use.

Back
Top Bottom