#%%^$£ USB

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
My Mac Mini M1 has USB-A and USB-C ports.

If I connect the FM3 or III to a USB-C port, the connection fails after the Mac has gone to sleep for a while. The editor disconnects and the ports just disappear in the editor (Settings > Preferences > Ports).

Tried and tested a lot of USB-C to USB-B cables. No difference.

I have to disconnect the cable and reconnect it, or power up the processor or computer to re-establish the connection.

First I thought that my monitor (also connected through USB-C) was the culprit, sucking up all the USB power. But no, the issue persisted after switching the monitor to HDMI.

I re-arranged the connections, switched the FM3 and III to USB-A, and everything now works as expected.

Sigh, USB …

Last edited:
I use a powered USB-A hub that connects via USB-C and haven’t noticed this on the M1 mini. I’ll see if I can recreate.

So it’s USB-C ports that are the issue?

I use this hub:

Amazon product ASIN B00VDVCQ84
Have for three years -- works flawlessly. The key is it stays powered up even if my iMac goes to sleep. I hang three to four Fractal units off it, my Scarlet 18i20 interface, a handful of external drives and they all work flawlessly. If my iMac goes to sleep and everything is powered up, I come back and it wakes up and everything continues to work.

My Mac Mini M1 has USB-A and USB-C ports.

If I connect the FM3 or III to a USB-C port, the connection fails after the Mac has gone to sleep for a while. The editor disconnects and the ports just disappear in the editor (Settings > Preferences > Ports).

Tried and tested a lot of USB cables. No difference.

I have to disconnect the cable and reconnect it, or power up the processor or computer to re-establish the connection.

First I thought that my monitor (also connected through USB-C) was the culprit, sucking up all the USB power. But no, the issue persisted after switching the monitor to HDMI.

I re-arranged the connections, switched the FM3 and III to USB-A, and everything works as expected.

Sigh, USB …
I use my M1 MBP live with a USB-C to USB-A adapter and I do not have this issue.
What MacOS version are you running? 11.5.2?

I have the last Mini before M1, which has a bunch of C's and 2 A's, using an unpowered hub in one of the A's,the cable from the III goes there.
Works great with everything plugged into the hub, only my audio interface and flight yoke is connected with USB-C, no issues there. :p

the adapter is key.
Sorry I intended to type cable actually a USB-C printer cable. This is the one I am using.

Cable Matters USB C Printer Cable (USB C to USB B Cable, USB-C to Printer Cable) in Black 6.6 Feet​

Also what version of Mac OS are you updated to?

But isn’t that the same as just disabling Sleep mode …?

Yes, but you can do it easily, quickly, and with a high degree of specificity directly from the menu bar … and you don’t need to remember to go back and turn sleep mode back on.

Reactions: yek
This was a very common bug that Apple fixed in a update. I had this issue with external display now coming back on after sleep as well.
I am on 11.5.2 and I do not have this issue.
Suggest you update to 11.5.2 the latest build and it should resolve your issue.

Yes, but you can do it easily, quickly, and with a high degree of specificity directly from the menu bar … and you don’t need to remember to go back and turn sleep mode back on.
I just set the app up. It looks useful, if for no other reason than it can keep the screen from sleeping while I have one of the editors open.

Back
Top Bottom