Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

I really can’t understand this comments, yeah I know I will play my gear until the great gods will do me a favor and I should be grateful. I think fractal who are known for working relentlessly on updates for us customers really care for us so I suggest taking it a step further and give us some kind of a time table for the release of the units and only because they said now shipping.

Perhaps you don't understand the comments because you have not participated in this forum or previous FAS waitlists? I have been involved in the last five waitlists (AxeII, AxeIII, AX8, FX8, and FM3). These are my observations based on participation in previous waitlists. Perhaps this will help, or not...

All "now shipping" means is that they have units in stock and they will start shipping them to the waitlist. The "now shipping" verbiage is significant because the FM3 was announced and waitlist invitations were extended several months before they had units available to ship. There were multiple delays with FAS making statements about when shipping would start, only to have those estimated dates pass by more than once. It was very frustrating for those who were on the waitlist and it was a good 6 months after the product was announced and the waitlist was opened before units started shipping. And even then, the first batch of units were manufactured incorrectly (without a headphone jack) and those who wanted a headphone jack had to wait even longer. Overall, I think it is fair to say that the FM3 launch was poorly managed and it's clear that FAS has learned from that experience.

This time is different. Units are in stock at the time the product was announced and the waitlist was opened (well done Fractal - that's the way to do it). How may units are in stock is a total unknown. FAS is a small company any they historically have ordered units in batches. If previous launches are any indication, they aren't manufacturing thousands of these in advance that are sitting in a warehouse, and they do not have the manpower to ship thousands of units a day. The FM3 waitlist took a year to clear (maybe more). Even if you got on the FM9 list a couple hours after the initial announcement you could be looking at a few months, or more, before receiving the invitation to purchase.

I do recall that Fractal did give occasional updates on the FM3 shipping status. Every once in a while @Admin M@ would post an update stating the date and time of the waitlist that they were processing. For example, I got on the FM9 list Aug 28 at 10:01 am Eastern. If Matt posted an update that they were serving people who got on the list before Aug 28 9:45 am Eastern, then I would know I'm getting close. Whether he does that this time remains to be seen, but I do agree that this would be helpful. For example, I got on the King of Tone waiting list July 3, 2019. The Analogman website says that the King of Tone is now shipping to those who got on the list before Sept. 25, 2017. So, I know that I'm not getting one of those any time "soon"...

Hope that helps to give some perspective.

Last edited:
Perhaps you don't understand the comments because you have not participated in this forum or previous FAS waitlists? I have been involved in the last five waitlists (AxeII, AxeIII, AX8, FX8, and FM3). These are my observations based on participation in previous waitlists. Perhaps this will help, or not...

All "now shipping" means is that they have units in stock and they will start shipping them to the waitlist. The "now shipping" verbiage is significant because the FM3 was announced and waitlist invitations were extended several months before they had units available to ship. There were multiple delays with FAS making statements about when shipping would start, only to have those estimated dates pass by more than once. It was very frustrating for those who were on the waitlist and it was a good 6 months after the product was announced and the waitlist was opened before units started shipping. And even then, the first batch of units were manufactured incorrectly (without a headphone jack) and those who wanted a headphone jack had to wait even longer. Overall, I think it is fair to say that the FM3 launch was poorly managed and it's clear that FAS has learned from that experience.

This time is different. Units are in stock at the time the product was announced and the waitlist was opened (well done Fractal - that's the way to do it). How may units are in stock is a total unknown. FAS is a small company any they historically have ordered units in batches. If previous launches are any indication, they aren't manufacturing thousands of these in advance that are sitting in a warehouse, and they do not have the manpower to ship thousands of units a day. The FM3 waitlist took a year to clear (maybe more). Even if you got on the FM9 list a couple hours after the initial announcement you could be looking at a few months, or more, before receiving the invitation to purchase.

I do recall that Fractal did give occasional updates on the FM3 shipping status. Every once in a while @Matt would post an update stating the date and time of the waitlist that they were processing. For example, I got on the FM9 list Aug 28 at 10:01 am Eastern. If Matt posted an update that they were serving people who got on the list before Aug 28 9:45 am Eastern, then I would know I'm getting close. Whether he does that this time remains to be seen, but I do agree that this would be helpful. For example, I got on the King of Tone waiting list July 3, 2019. The Analogman website says that the King of Tone is now shipping to those who got on the list before Sept. 25, 2017. So, I know that I'm not getting one of those any time "soon"...

Hope that helps to give some perspective.
I appreciate your long comment but nothing you wrote is new to me. You are just taking the situation obviously when in fact it should have been handled differently. Maybe FAS should have postpone the announcement until they are really ready to ship at least few hundred units. I mean there are many new products in all kind of areas that ship the day after their announcement. I don’t see the reason to say now shipping when it’s not immediate. They could say shipping October 10 for example.

In the past, FAS has posted an official thread titled "Now Shipping" when orders are being fulfilled. I don't believe that has been posted yet.

I appreciate your long comment but nothing you wrote is new to me. You are just taking the situation obviously when in fact it should have been handled differently. Maybe FAS should have postpone the announcement until they are really ready to ship at least few hundred units. I mean there are many new products in all kind of areas that ship the day after their announcement. I don’t see the reason to say now shipping when it’s not immediate. They could say shipping October 10 for example.
Units already started shipping and we have a few hundred to ship.

Sorry if I missed this in the manual or description, but does the FM9 have an aux port of some kind to pipe in music so you can play along using headphones?
Or do I need to connect the FM9 USB to a laptop and play music from there?

Sorry if I missed this in the manual or description, but does the FM9 have an aux port of some kind to pipe in music so you can play along using headphones?
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 9.31.48 AM.png

You can use either IN2 or IN3 via 1/4" TR connections, SPDIF in with a coaxial cable that has RCA connections, or the USB connection to your computer.

^^^^^...what he said. :0)

Never tried it, but you should be able to stream music via a small bluetooth receiver piped into the return input connection/block.

If it works like the Axe-Fx III, you can use a USB to lightning connector to directly stream audio from any iOS device through it without the need for anything else. I do this with the Axe-Fx III often.

If it works like the Axe-Fx III, you can use a USB to lightning connector to directly stream audio from any iOS device through it without the need for anything else. I do this with the Axe-Fx III often.
I believe it has been stated by FAS that the FM9 USB implementation is identical to the III , which is a good thing as it has evolved into a very flexible and effective routing option (especially with MAC/iOS)

Is there a quantity limit per customer? I’d love to get 2 when it’s my time.

If you subscribe multiple times to the waiting list with different emails, you could probably buy them when the turn of each address comes.
Once there is no waiting list and you can order from the FAS shop, just select the desired number at the quantity field.
1630980687901.png
And do not forget to donate some units to those in need

Last edited:
Who else here has been checking their email a record amount of times since Aug. 27???

Wait hold on....have to check something... 😝

I'm waiting Fractal.....:rolleyes:🤣

If you subscribe multiple times to the waiting list with different emails, you could probably buy them when the turn of each address comes.
Once there is no waiting list and you can order from the FAS shop, just select the desired number at the quantity field.
View attachment 88235
And do not forget to donate some units to those in need
I wouldn’t count on it as long as there are people on the wait list. They didn’t allow multiple purchases of the FM3 unless you were a pro and contacted sales.

Someone might be able to spoof them, but the sales force is very savvy.

Did my first gig with the FM9 last night. I took my main FM3 preset and added a few blocks for some character tones (ring mod, filters, phaser) and had an absolute ball. This is definitely going to be "the one" for so many who have requested a FAS product with this form factor.

The dual amps and the 'free' hq verbs are the things that separate this from my FM3 for my use cases. I don't really get near CPU limits on my FM3, my presets are pretty basic and are in the mid 60's - 70's typically, usually with ultrares IR's and HQ or UQ verb.

I can live with the short delay on amp channel changes, but the dual blocks means I don't have to. The dual verbs means I can run a spring verb in front of an amp also have a verb at the end of the chain to add a room, studio, cavern etc.

I'm looking forward to my invite. It will be nice to have the 'SLR lens selection' like ability to grab my Fractal device for the situation. FM3 for quick and dirty practice/jams solution, FM9 for main gig solution, and Axe III for when power and quality matter the most. The fact that all the devices work essentially the same is great because I don't have to learn or re-familiarize a whole new workflow when moving between them.

Back
Top Bottom