Anyone who likes to grill - SHARE your tips , tools and techniques !

My Masterbuilt electric smoker died earlier this week. Looking at replacing it with a vertical pellet smoker. Do any of you guys have experience with the Pit Boss vertical pellet smokers? I already have a large horizontal woodburner with a propane assist (helps keep the temp steady), but I like the vertical format for smaller cooks. The set it and forget it aspect of the pellet smokers is enticing.

Found an whole Brisket at the store Friday for $3.99/lb. Oh yeah!
Smoked it over night, drank too much beer, and pulled it out of the
smoker to rest at 4 PM Saturday. Did the foil wrap and rest for another
4 hours and then dove in with my son at about 8:30. Was still perfectly
warm and so good! :)

Lesson learned is that fancy-shmancy rubs are not my thing. Not doing that again.
I realize I prefer simple salt and pepper rub, and maybe a light dusting of brown sugar
to further carmelize the exterior at best.

Last big weekend of the Summer, and just 2 days before my son starts his Sophomore
year of High School, so I am doing an all night smoke of a Whole Brisket tonight. Went
in at 10:00PM and hoping it will be done and ready to eat (after a rest) around 5 or 6 Monday
evening.

Just about to crack the first beer. :) 🍻 🍻 🍻

How do them big smokehouse joints do this? They must literally be smoking meat around the clock, 24/7.

I did one all-nighter (with a couple of naps) and I am probably gonna pay for it the rest of this week.

If you have an industrial smoker with a fan and temp sensing electronics you can set it up and let roll for 10 hours without any humans intervening. That stuff makes more and more sense as you scale up to smoking 10 briskets at a time.

Automation for the win!! :)

There's a great series on Netflix on BBQ joints and so many of them have a human
with a shovel chucking wood into big pits, and then mopping the meats. Seems like
the labour intensive methods are what the cream of the crop still employ. I am just not
how they endure it. Must be a labour of love. :)

Automation for the win!! :)

There's a great series on Netflix on BBQ joints and so many of them have a human
with a shovel chucking wood into big pits, and then mopping the meats. Seems like
the labour intensive methods are what the cream of the crop still employ. I am just not
how they endure it. Must be a labour of love. :)

When your day job is a night job, you work nights. ;)

Back
Top Bottom