FM9 MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

FXFanatic1!

Inspired
I am on the waitlist for the FM9. It basically has everything I have been hoping for since the FM3 came out. I would however hate to buy one, only to have a MKII come out- maybe one where the logo illuminates, more memory and a larger, touchscreen. I know it's early to even try and venture a guess, but based on their historic release schedule, when do you think a MKII model could follow? What improvements seem most logical to everyone? Guesses welcome! I would guess, maybe 1 year away and with all the improvements stated above- not sure about the touchscreen though- as nice as that would be. Tone matching would be nice as well. Hey, I can dream!

I am on the waitlist for the FM9. It basically has everything I have been hoping for since the FM3 came out. I would however hate to buy one, only to have a MKII come out- maybe one where the logo illuminates, more memory and a larger, touchscreen. I know it's early to even try and venture a guess, but based on their historic release schedule, when do you think a MKII model could follow? What improvements seem most logical to everyone? Guesses welcome! I would guess, maybe 1 year away and with all the improvements stated above- not sure about the touchscreen though- as nice as that would be. Tone matching would be nice as well. Hey, I can dream!
You realize that even those who get on the waitlist in the first month will probably be waiting quite some time? If anything, you will see an axe fx 4. A product isn't even in people's hands and your asking about the MKII.

Really?

With that mentality, I bet car dealerships love to talk folks like you into a lease.
Yes really but your way off base Watty. I have never leased a car in my life. I buy great quality cars and keep them for 10+ years. My last car had over 200k on it when I sold it. It still looked and drove almost like new. I do my research up front. I invest in quality, take care of my things. They usually end up lasting me a very long time. I guess you are more of an impulse type person.

$1,599.99 is a substantial investment so this is me simply doing some diligence. I appreciate the chance to hear the thoughts of others. Does it really make a difference if I ask now, or 3 months from now? I understand that I am slightly ahead of the question curve but I am curious.

I have only been following Fractal product development since around 2019- around the time the FM3 was released. Still, I shared my best guess of what the improvements might look like and the timeline for when it might come out. I don't think I am too far off. I fully realize that I might not get the nod until "sometime" in 2022 and that's perfectly fine. I know others in here are a lot more familiar- with experiences going back to the Axe-Fx Standard, Ultra, AX8, etc. I didn't think anyone would mind a question. Many who are on the list are probably wondering the exact same thing. Obviously no one can know for sure but I would not mind hearing anyone's best guesses.

Have you ever actually bought anything before? With semi-conductor shortages predicted to continue through most of next year I doubt the wait list (which I'm sure is incredibly large) will be caught up. I welcome new products anytime FAS can get them out the door! and that doesn't mean what you already have is any less awesome.

Yes really but your way off base Watty. I have never leased a car in my life. I buy great quality cars and keep them for 10+ years. My last car had over 200k on it when I sold it. It still looked and drove almost like new. I do my research up front. I invest in quality, take care of my things. They usually end up lasting me a very long time. I guess you are more of an impulse type person.

$1,599.99 is a substantial investment so this is me simply doing some diligence. I appreciate the chance to hear the thoughts of others. Does it really make a difference if I ask now, or 3 months from now? I understand that I am slightly ahead of the question curve but I am curious.

I have only been following Fractal product development since around 2019- around the time the FM3 was released. Still, I shared my best guess of what the improvements might look like and the timeline for when it might come out. I don't think I am too far off. I fully realize that I might not get the nod until "sometime" in 2022 and that's perfectly fine. I know others in here are a lot more familiar- with experiences going back to the Axe-Fx Standard, Ultra, AX8, etc. I didn't think anyone would mind a question. Many who are on the list are probably wondering the exact same thing. Obviously no one can know for sure but I would not mind hearing anyone's best guesses.

They released a new version of that car each of those ten years you had it but did that really take anything away from yours? Exact same thing, someday there will be a new one, it's how businesses survive, doesn't change what you have unless you consider resale value, same as the car.

Yes really but your way off base Watty.
How so?
I have never leased a car in my life. I buy great quality cars and keep them for 10+ years.
Great! Then your FM9 which you may end up purchasing will be a "great quality [modeler] that you can keep for 10+ years." End of story!
My last car had over 200k on it when I sold it. It still looked and drove almost like new. I do my research up front. I invest in quality, take care of my things. They usually end up lasting me a very long time.
Yet more insight to prove that you will enjoy your FM9 MKI for years to come!
I guess you are more of an impulse type person.
Possibly, but I'm not the one asking after a new version of a new product several days after the announcement of its release.
$1,599.99 is a substantial investment so this is me simply doing some diligence.
Correct! Your due diligence is figuring out whether the FM9 MKI will work for you, just as deciding whether the 2021 Accord will work for you, knowing that the 2022 will be coming out in a year, the 2023 in two, the 2024 in three, and so on.
I appreciate the chance to hear the thoughts of others. Does it really make a difference if I ask now, or 3 months from now? I understand that I am slightly ahead of the question curve but I am curious.
It matters because the first units to ship have potentially not even arrived at their owner's doors yet. Let's take a different example. Tesla released the Cyber Truck, but it's not out quite yet. Would you be asking after a MKII version of that if you were in the market for the MKI?
I have only been following Fractal product development since around 2019- around the time the FM3 was released.
So you have very little history with the brand then?
Still, I shared my best guess of what the improvements might look like and the timeline for when it might come out.
There are product wishlist threads that exist for a reason. If everyone posted a separate thread for their every desire, the forum would become cluttered pretty quickly. And again, circling back to the car example, you might have any number of proposed improvements for the next model year, but unless you're active on their forums posting about them, I'm not sure this argument holds a lot of water.
I don't think I am too far off.
On the potential MKII features? On the release timeline?
I fully realize that I might not get the nod until "sometime" in 2022 and that's perfectly fine.
Based on their last product refresh, I don't know that there was any "nod." New things are released when they are released.
I know others in here are a lot more familiar- with experiences going back to the Axe-Fx Standard, Ultra, AX8, etc. I didn't think anyone would mind a question.
If the product had been out for 6-12 months, your question might be valid, but the thing hasn't even had an unboxing video uploaded to YouTube yet.
Many who are on the list are probably wondering the exact same thing. Obviously no one can know for sure but I would not mind hearing anyone's best guesses.
I think 99.999% of people on the newly minted list (read: those exclusive of yourself) are probably wondering when they are going to have their name called to purchase. I can almost guarantee no one is wondering whether their money will be poorly spent with the advent of a new version shortly after purchasing. Now, if the waitlist grows to over a year, then perhaps the people that haven't purchased will begin to wonder, but last time a refresh happened and there was a waitlist in place, it's my understanding people were ported over to the list for the new version, thus severely minimizing that concern.

You said...With that mentality, I bet car dealerships love to talk folks like you into a lease...which is not true.

Great! Then your FM9 which you may end up purchasing will be a "great quality [modeler] that you can keep for 10+ years." End of story!

Yet more insight to prove that you will enjoy your FM9 MKI for years to come!

Possibly, but I'm not the one asking after a new version of a new product several days after the announcement of its release.

Also True- like I said- I was simply curious. I haven't ever in my life spent $1,599 on a modeler. Maybe you are a pro- I am a Joe but I do appreciate nice gear.
Correct! Your due diligence is figuring out whether the FM9 MKI will work for you, just as deciding whether the 2021 Accord will work for you, knowing that the 2022 will be coming out in a year, the 2023 in two, the 2024 in three, and so on.

It matters because the first units to ship have potentially not even arrived at their owner's doors yet. Let's take a different example. Tesla released the Cyber Truck, but it's not out quite yet. Would you be asking after a MKII version of that if you were in the market for the MKI?

Sadly, probably YES.

So you have very little history with the brand then?
Basically yes. I have never owned anything Fractal- ever. I am not a pro- more of a Joe but I appreciate nice gear. This will be the most significant investment in a modeler I have ever made- so I am just trying to learn as much as I can by those more knowledgable than me- which is most.
There are product wishlist threads that exist for a reason. If everyone posted a separate thread for their every desire, the forum would become cluttered pretty quickly. And again, circling back to the car example, you might have any number of proposed improvements for the next model year, but unless you're active on their forums posting about them, I'm not sure this argument holds a lot of water.
I did post on the wish-list- check the thread.
On the potential MKII features? On the release timeline?
Yes- I guessed, it might take a year+ to see a MKII...maybe longer. Like the Axe-FX, mabye the logo will be backlit (nice touch), more memory, etc. All good things. A touchscreen that is large would also be a great update.
Based on their last product refresh, I don't know that there was any "nod." New things are released when they are released.
By nod, I simply meant an email telling me to get out my credit card. Should I have said, "My Turn?" The FM9 is already released- the team said it is going to certain people first (I presume, who got the nod.) It's only truly released to all, when there is inventory enough to go around which currently there is not.
If the product had been out for 6-12 months, your question might be valid, but the thing hasn't even had an unboxing video uploaded to YouTube yet.
I disagree. Yes, it will be more fashionable then but a question is a question. Since you are being logical- will you have anymore insight in 6 months than you do now? Probably not. I am not looking for a definitive answer- you are taking me to literal. I was simply hoping to hear some thoughts and opinions based on people's past experiences.
I think 99.999% of people on the newly minted list (read: those exclusive of yourself) are probably wondering when they are going to have their name called to purchase. I can almost guarantee no one is wondering whether their money will be poorly spent with the advent of a new version shortly after purchasing. Now, if the waitlist grows to over a year, then perhaps the people that haven't purchased will begin to wonder, but last time a refresh happened and there was a waitlist in place, it's my understanding people were ported over to the list for the new version, thus severely minimizing that concern.
You are probably right. To be clear, I have no doubt that my money would be very well spent on the FM9 v1. I am also very relieved that I passed on the FM3 (I came close to getting one.) I have been saying literally for years now that there was a gap- how a product very much like the FM9 is needed. No one was happier than me to hear the news and watch Leon's video about the FM9. The spirit of my question isn't that I don't appreciate this amazing new product. My curiosity definitely won't stop me from buying a FM9 v.1. I had just been reading some other posts in the Fractal Forums. Some experienced users where discussing touchscreens and future enhancements that they would like to see. I hadn't even thought of them. They are not deal breakers to me either. Again, I was simply just curious. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You make a lot of sense and brought ups some good points.

I think the time between Axe-Fx III MKI and MKII was about two years.
Thanks Albert- that's exactly the type of insight I was hoping to get. I definitely don't want to wait 2 years for some potentially minor updates. Even if FAS eventually releases a touchscreen- it probably won't be as reliable. Given their passion for quality products, that is probably why Cliff did not put one on the FM9. It's not that he didn't think of it. They obsess over these types of details. It's one reason why they are the best IMO.

I appreciate the chance to hear the thoughts of others. Does it really make a difference if I ask now, or 3 months from now? I understand that I am slightly ahead of the question curve but I am curious.
Mark II isn’t in the foreseeable future. You’re looking at years, not months. And Fractal gear holds its value exceptionally well. Get one when your name comes up, put wishes for firmware updates in the wishlist forum when it’s added, IF a MKII ever comes out sell your MKI and upgrade.

Or just stay mired in worry and indecision and don’t buy it when your name comes up. Maybe the person on the waiting list after you will be happier with it than you’d be. :)

FM9 just announced - so FM9 MkII will not be any time soon - 2yrs probably a good guess - nobody here would know with the exception of Fractal (and I'd bet thier estimate is contingent on how well the FM9 does).

IMO Fractal is the cheapest modeller since it is a vaccine for GAS. Can't count the number
of times I gassed for x,y or z and after a/b ing to what Axefx renders, I end up passing on new/"better"..."stuff".

Not to worry DP25. When my name is called, I'm getting a FM9. I don't think anyone will be happier than I will be. I jumped onto the waitlist 5 minutes after I heard of the release. I've been waiting for a "FM9" type solution since I first saw the FM3. The FM9 bridges the product gap quit nicely.

FM9 just announced - so FM9 MkII will not be any time soon - 2yrs probably a good guess - nobody here would know with the exception of Fractal (and I'd bet thier estimate is contingent on how well the FM9 does).

IMO Fractal is the cheapest modeller since it is a vaccine for GAS. Can't count the number
of times I gassed for x,y or z and after a/b ing to what Axefx renders, I end up passing on new/"better"..."stuff".
Yes, about 2 years seems to be the common best guess thus far. Knowing a little about IT product life cycle development, Fractal isn't waiting around for the sales numbers. MkII is probably already in development- unless you are just referring to the release, then I would agree. Cell phones basically work the same way- every 2 years or so there is a new version- even of top selling devices. Planned obsolescence and SAS are other ways they keep their recurring revenue streams alive. They also know we all jones for new gear! Most of us have G.A.S! Suffice to say however, the FM9 really has more than I will need for a long time. With all the tech baked in, it's really a good value for the price. To get close to all the same tones via actual gear e.g., amps and cabs and effects, it could easily be 10x the cost. I also like that you can play low volumes and still retain the full tone.

I would never worry about something I have no control over, that's a waste of time. The FM9 just started shipping so I would sit back wait your turn and enjoy the ride once it's in your hands. Thank God FAS has built this unit it fills many needs for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom