Backup gear for rehearsal and gig

Harm

Experienced
Hi all. i have the axe fx 3. What do you guys use as backup? I’m looking for a good,small, not too expensive option. I’m looking for a non fractal option because I already have the ax8 and I will definetly buy the fm9 when it comes available in europe.

Thanks, Harm

what do you need the backup to do?

Good one. Tx. I would like to use it for rehearsals. There is a guitar amp present with horrible gain so Id like to plug in pedals or a multieffect to get that running. Id also like to use this as a backup at a gig. At a gig it will have to be possible to use it with an active monitor speaker. I will. Ot bring a guitar amp. I’d like something compact like one or two strymon pedals

Hi all. i have the axe fx 3. What do you guys use as backup? I’m looking for a good,small, not too expensive option. I’m looking for a non fractal option because I already have the ax8 and I will definetly buy the fm9 when it comes available in europe.

Thanks, Harm
How about changing the title of the thread from "Backup" to something more indicative of what you're looking for, like "What are recommendations for a backup amp?

"Backup" by itself could be file backups, moving backwards, etc.

Well the HX Stomp is an obvious choice. But the amps are not in Fractal's league so I'm selling the one I got after buying the new firmware hype.

I have an Atomic Amplifirebox MK1 in my gigbag as an in case of emergency back up with Clean Crunch and lead programmed in.
The AA6 is a good choice too. Plenty of good sounds and basic effects

Ultimately depends on what features you're after

Thanks, Harm

Why not use the ax8?

Why not use the ax8?

Sounds like crap through the monitor there. (Its the monitor not the ax8. Plus Id like to sell it now that it has more value to get funds for the fm9. Hoping to buy back something cheap. Problem is that my ears are so spoiled by the axe.

Last edited:
I have a Quilter Micropro Mach II -- 8" (I also have its 12" extension cab). Super light; no tubes, but sounds tubey; on board reverb; very reliable. Takes pedals well and can be used with the FM3 via the FX loop.

Sounds like crap through the monitor there. (Its the monitor not the ax8. Plus Id like to sell it now that it has more value to get funds for the fm9. Hoping to buy back something cheap. Problem is that my ears are so spoiled by the axe.

Since you already feel spoiled by the 3 and ax8, trying to save money will just cost you more in the long run. Buy nice or buy twice.

Sounds like upgrading the monitor is a better idea, imo.

Since you already feel spoiled by the 3 and ax8, trying to save money will just cost you more in the long run. Buy nice or buy twice.

Sounds like upgrading the monitor is a better idea, imo.

Lol. I have 2 matrix monitors. The one at rehearsals is not mine but from the guy we rent the place from. I just want to travel light and not carry my monitor(s).
So basicly I’m looking for a lazy man’s solution but still want great sound..

Lol. I have 2 matrix monitors. The one at rehearsals is not mine but from the guy we rent the place from. I just want to travel light and not carry my monitor(s).
So basicly I’m looking for a lazy man’s solution but still want great sound..

Does your space have a lock and security cameras? Leave a monitor there?

The lazy solution is leave a good rig at the jamspace haha.

I keep a pair of flyrigs in my trunk as a backup for my Fractals. Never had to use them but it's nice knowing they're there. I've also used them for actual fly gigs, which was fantastic, just threw them into my carry-on and used backline amps at the gig.

I have both the RK flyrig and the Standard one.

Back
Top Bottom