Help with this modern pop-punk style tone

strabes

Experienced
Vendor
I've got the vintage marshall thing nailed with the 1987x model but it's not getting me that modern highly-produced pop punk thing that you hear on stuff like this, MGK's record, the new Travis Barker stuff, etc.

Primarily interested in the rhythm tone that kicks in at 0:10. He's playing a tele in the video but it really doesn't sound like it, any suggestions on pickups would be great, I have a few different solid body bridge singles and humbuckers I can try.

Here's another couple examples:

Last chorus in this tune:

It's a shame no one chimed in here. I would love to see more modern presets as well.

The best I can help is thinking v30 and Marshall sounds.

I'm not very up to date with current pop punk.
But the more modern Pop Punk sound I think hasn't changed much.

Artist like Blink 182, rufio, new found glory, lit, sum41, paramore, Millencolin,belvedere,simple plan , yellowcard ,mute and more.......
They use mesa booguie dual rectfier with a mesa booguie cab 4x12.
( late 90s and early 2000s when pop punk was all over MTV, all bands of that genre mostly used that Amp)

So try with mesa booguie dual rectfier with a mesa booguie cab 4x12.

I also know that the offspring and jimmy eat world use the AX Fx:D

I'm not very up to date with current pop punk.
But the more modern Pop Punk sound I think hasn't changed much.

Artist like Blink 182, rufio, new found glory, lit, sum41, paramore, Millencolin,belvedere,simple plan , yellowcard ,mute and more.......
They use mesa booguie dual rectfier with a mesa booguie cab 4x12.
( late 90s and early 2000s when pop punk was all over MTV, all bands of that genre mostly used that Amp)

So try with mesa booguie dual rectfier with a mesa booguie cab 4x12.

I also know that the offspring and jimmy eat world use the AX Fx:D
came to say this. Dual Rec's were huge in pop-punk. Low MV, almost no bass. I believe Relient K may have used them as well. @York Audio might have some insight as well

@strabes For that era, there were two main amps that sort of defined "that sound." A Dual Rec (preferably a 2-channel) and the original Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (not the new DSL) through a Mesa OS 4x12 cab. Sometimes they were used on their own and sometimes they would be blended to get the wall of sound from the Mesa and the tighter pick attack and clarity from the Marshall. A big key is to dime the Mids on both amps, and don't be afraid to raise the Presence to balance out the huge amount of low end.

So I'd try starting with the Recto 1 Red model. Bass around 3, Middle 10, Treble and Presence around 5, and MV around 2-2.5. The Axe doesn't have a JCM 2000 DSL 100, so you may want to try using one of the HBE models and bring the resonance frequency lower to around 100-120Hz and turn the preamp high cut up to 16k (closer to the DSL). Use the Dual Rec as your main amp and set the Marshall/Friedman level lower so it fills in the Mesa gaps and makes your pick attack tighter without overpowering the core tone of the Dual Rec.

I'd use a Mesa OS 4x12 IR. Start with a single 57 or 58 and add in some 160 if you need it. The tone from the first video sounded more like a Les Paul than a Tele when they were doing the single string palm mutes.

When I played with Relient K, Matt would always use a Dual Rec and I played either my JCM 2000 or Hoopes' JCM 800. With Paramore, it was always the JCM 2000 until I went full-Fractal in 2014.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

@York Audio I imagine that's a fun gig! Do you feel the Brit Pre/JM-Pre gets ballpark DSL tones? I haven't spent a ton of time on it, but I was happily surprised.

@strabes For that era, there were two main amps that sort of defined "that sound." A Dual Rec (preferably a 2-channel) and the original Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (not the new DSL) through a Mesa OS 4x12 cab. Sometimes they were used on their own and sometimes they would be blended to get the wall of sound from the Mesa and the tighter pick attack and clarity from the Marshall. A big key is to dime the Mids on both amps, and don't be afraid to raise the Presence to balance out the huge amount of low end.

So I'd try starting with the Recto 1 Red model. Bass around 3, Middle 10, Treble and Presence around 5, and MV around 2-2.5. The Axe doesn't have a JCM 2000 DSL 100, so you may want to try using one of the HBE models and bring the resonance frequency lower to around 100-120Hz and turn the preamp high cut up to 16k (closer to the DSL). Use the Dual Rec as your main amp and set the Marshall/Friedman level lower so it fills in the Mesa gaps and makes your pick attack tighter without overpowering the core tone of the Dual Rec.

I'd use a Mesa OS 4x12 IR. Start with a single 57 or 58 and add in some 160 if you need it. The tone from the first video sounded more like a Les Paul than a Tele when they were doing the single string palm mutes.

When I played with Relient K, Matt would always use a Dual Rec and I played either my JCM 2000 or Hoopes' JCM 800. With Paramore, it was always the JCM 2000 until I went full-Fractal in 2014.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
the man hath spoken

@York Audio I imagine that's a fun gig! Do you feel the Brit Pre/JM-Pre gets ballpark DSL tones? I haven't spent a ton of time on it, but I was happily surprised.
Nah, the JMP-1 is its own thing. I think I’ve gotten closest to the DSL with one of the HBE models and one of the JS410 ones.

I don't know why my brain doesnt make the connection that HBE would be a good one to tweak. I think it's because I tried one IRL, and felt it wasnt any better than my '83 2203 + OCD and kinda wrote them off hahaha.
Yeah, to be honest, I’m not a big fan of the BE/HBE models without tweaking the depth frequency and digging into advanced parameters. Those models have so much low-mid content that it’s easier to just pick a different model than to go down the rabbit hole. The Solo Lead model is hands down my favorite high gain model. It works with everything, it’s clear, the EQ does wonders with small movements, and the gain range covers a lot of ground and sounds great at any setting. Definitely check that one out if you haven’t already. Start with all knobs at noon. If you like midrange, keep MV at 5. If you want a little mids and slightly more air, take the MV to 4.5.

All of this SLO talk is getting me pumped! I’m gonna go play some guitar now. 🤘🏻

Just as an update to this post, I've been having great luck with the 1987x and 6160 models. The first song I tracked guitars for with Fractal came out awhile back. All these guitars are AX3 or FM3 direct with USB or SPDIF.

Sounds great! Great tone! Where did you film the video - sure looks like Corona del Mar / Newport Beach in CA :)

I was playing around with mimicking Millencolin's tone which I recorded a test sample here:

It's using a Triple Crest and JCM800 panned L/R.

Back
Top Bottom