Sell me on dual amps

gdgross

Experienced
Have always been a single amp guy, but I got on the FM9 waitlist, mainly for the extra switches and pedal inputs.

Tell my why I would want to bother with dual amps/cabs? Back in the amp days, I'd never have done this. Even in the OG AXE-FX/2 I was still using single amps (did we even have a two amp option back then, I don't remember lol)

Y'all do one amp left and the other right, maybe with different effects, for some wide sounds? Or just to get the secret tone you're after?

There's Plexi+AC30 factory preset in the Axe-Fx III, which even made it one of Steve Stevens favorite presets.

Another benefit of dual amps is the fast switching between them (no gap).

Wet/dry setups. Dual amp configs with varying gain levels for increased clarity, punch, and presence.
Dual amps whose inherent tones compliment each other rather than cancel each other. The other
key thing about dual amp configs is it also means dual cabs/IRs. You can pair a Greenback with Alnico Blues,
or V30s with Greenbacks. Just opens up an entire realm of possibilities that a single Amp chain cannot
accomplish.

For me it is just an helluva lot of fun, and I enjoy playing more in a dual amp/cab, wet/dry config. :)

Have always been a single amp guy, but I got on the FM9 waitlist, mainly for the extra switches and pedal inputs.

Tell my why I would want to bother with dual amps/cabs? Back in the amp days, I'd never have done this. Even in the OG AXE-FX/2 I was still using single amps (did we even have a two amp option back then, I don't remember lol)

Y'all do one amp left and the other right, maybe with different effects, for some wide sounds? Or just to get the secret tone you're after?
Seamless amp switching with zero gap. Immediately via MultiPlex or smooooooove via Mixer....

For me, the magic of dual amp rigs is divided into two categories.

1. I like the sound of stereo pedals in front of two amps. Particularly delay and chorus, but also including pitch and others. I grew up playing rigs like this in the 80s.

2. I also love the layered distortion that comes when combining two amps with different amounts of gain. Thick and wooly mated with crisp and biting.

For me, the magic of dual amp rigs is divided into two categories.

1. I like the sound of stereo pedals in front of two amps. Particularly delay and chorus, but also including pitch and others. I grew up playing rigs like this in the 80s.

2. I also love the layered distortion that comes when combining two amps with different amounts of gain. Thick and wooly mated with crisp and biting.
Do you have any examples of your 2nd point? Ive never tried a dual amp setup. Seems cool but wouldn’t even know where to begin. Would love to try though. But would love to hear some good examples of a dual amp vs single amp and see if I can tell the difference

Do you have any examples of your 2nd point? Ive never tried a dual amp setup. Seems cool but wouldn’t even know where to begin. Would love to try though. But would love to hear some good examples of a dual amp vs single amp and see if I can tell the difference

Steve Stevens preset that Yek mentioned is already in your III, not sure of the name but it's a mix of a Plexi with an AC30 and is a nice mix of the two amps in a nice character iirc

Sounds nice

It's at the end of the factory presets

Steve Stevens preset that Yek mentioned is already in your III, not sure of the name but it's a mix of a Plexi with an AC30 and is a nice mix of the two amps in a nice character iirc

Sounds nice

It's at the end of the factory presets
I have the fm3 not axefxIII haha

I haven’t experimented much. I did not care for the sound of a clean amp blended with a driven amp. One thing I’d like to try though, is a boutique version mixed with the real deal. Like a Morgan AC20 mixed with a Top Boost, or a Tweed Deluxe mixed with a Swart

Just listen to Tool, or Stone Temple Pilots, or Muse live. They all do it, and have done it
pretty much since the inception of those bands.

Back
Top Bottom