Food for Thought -- Why Fractal Is Better

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
This is in more of praise for Fractal than anything else...and a reason why Fractal products are on par or better than the actual units.

1) Storage Space: Consider how many storage buildings or warehouses you'd need to house the vast numbers of effects, amps or cabs. Then, see either the FX III or FM3 and realize the space you've saved.

2) Cost of Actual Units: Again, think how much money you'd need if you desired to play through each effect, amp or cab. Then, realize you don't need umpteen hundreds of thousands of dollars to own either an FX III or FM3.

3) Portability: Remember when you used to lug inordinately heavy gear to and from gigs? The FM3 pedalboard through the house PA and a floor monitor (sometimes the gig already has powered monitors) is all you'd need to play at a gig, and if perhaps you only practice at home, you've got that covered, too.

This was what I could personally think of. Please add your own comments if perhaps there was something I missed.

Last edited:
This forum. They'll even answer the most basic questions, and rarely give you the RTFM reply.
Frequency of updates.
Not holding back on certain updates, which possibly could have been saved for the next generation of hardware. That right there shows a very consumer-minded approach to business.

For me, they provide actual models of the amps. Other companies will go as far as a presence knob but no resonance. How can you dial in a proper 5150 without a resonance? I like Fractals true modeling and not interpreting to cut down work. All this plus the Amps feel and the knobs interact as the real world tangiable counterpart does

Last edited:
For me, they provide actual models of the amps. Other companies will go as far as a presence knob but no resonance. How can you dial in a proper 5150 without a resonance? I like Fractals true modeling and not interpreting to cut down work
I cannot sing the praises of the amp models enough. This lays to rest any argument against modeling IMHO. I find myself practicing more and looking forward to it b/c I feel a connection with the "amp". In some weird way it's turning me into an amp snob!:eek:

In my particular case, I was looking for an all-in-one guitar solution:

For Play live:

No carry amps or a pedal board with 9 or 10 pedals (Just my guitar and the Fractal unit)

Since 95 percent of the places where I play are small bars where we have a small stage and low volume levels are required on the stage.

For Recording:
Without the need for a physical amplifier, without physical microphones and without a sound card.

The Reason why i choose Fractal:

1.AMP
In the competition Fractal have the largest variety of amps (and they sound great)

We have like a big lab to test and learn how to dial every amp or every rig and that is very fun.

2.Effects List
in the Effect field they are one of the best in the market
You have 50 + distortion pedals,
50+ reverb pedals,
tons of delay types and all the effects you would need and of course thay sound amazing (that's why I sold all my analog pedals)

3.Workflow
Axe-Edit Workflow is amazing

4.Documentation
there is a lot of documentation About how to dial any amps, there are a lot of videos in youtube that explain you everything,
the Fractal team interacts a lot in this forum.

5.Update

I bought in because I'm a huge electronics nerd (EE major) and loved just how far down the rabbit holes I could go. I've learned so much from and because of this unit and that alone is worth the price to me, I've found a passion in audio electronics because of it.

It's quite literally changed my life!

I bought in because I'm a huge electronics nerd (EE major) and loved just how far down the rabbit holes I could go. I've learned so much from and because of this unit and that alone is worth the price to me, I've found a passion in audio electronics because of it.

It's quite literally changed my life!

You know what? Any product that can help folks do their job better is good in my view.

What I've discovered with the FM3, is that it behaves like a well-trained obedient child. It does what it's told, and produces good things when good things are inputted. Similarly, if you mess things up and feed the FM3 bad input, it will return the same.

Although I'm not a parent myself, I appreciate a product when it serves as a helper that understands what I'd like to work towards as my goal. The FM3 just waits until its fed the correct information, and then I'm always amazed at how well the "child" has done. ;)

Their product just feel right in terms of dynamics and the responding to your touch,

That is what separates them from everyone else.

# of effects, amps, IRs, blah blah blah. Those are simple choices based upon marketing and budget.

None of that matters if it doesn't feel right.

Back
Top Bottom