Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

I really dig the idea of two amp blocks, but it’s too big as a fly rig for me, I’m sticking FM3.
Same for me fly or weekend rig. But what a great product this FM9. Congratulations to FAS, what a commitment to customers & technology. Whatever be the future (thinking about getting the flagship fx iii next year) I'll always keep the FM3 as it's much too practical for bringing it anywhere.

Now that would be something....

That might be a really cool way to expand the ecosystem, especially if it was able to be designed to work with all the Fractal products.
Another neat idea would be a breakout via USB that allows the FASLINK II data from internal/external FC footswitches, attached external switches, and attached continuous controller pedals to be shared with downstream Fractal products via their existing FASLINK port....

I did read his comment, and it certainly alludes to the FM9 working well in 4CM, but the FM3 has also been advertised to do so, and there are many (myself included) who had less than stellar experiences attempting to utilize that configuration, with no comment from the Fractal team regarding the noise issues.

I'm guilty of being pedantic on this topic, if you look through many of my previous posts...
I have read many of your previous posts and you seem to be attacking Fractal products both here and on another well know forum. If that's what makes you happy fine but I'm not surprised that they haven't dignified your posts with a response.

If you read his comment, and the comments of others (see an example below) you can see that this is not an issue with the FM9 and is not an issue with everyone regarding the FM3.

If I had that much of a problem with Fractal gear I wouldn't spend so much time posting on threads about their products. I don't even click on threads about the Helix or QC because I'm not interested in them. I certainly don't have the time to go on to a thread about the release of one of their products and start crapping on something else they make.
I’d actually guess it’s something with the amp. More specifically the way the FX loop is designed. I say this because I’ve run mine in 4CM with a few of my amps and don’t have noise issues (I can’t remember if I had issues with the California Tweed—I feel like I might’ve; I could check again).

Have you provided an audio/video recording of the specific sound you’re getting? I feel like I’ve read a description of it..? Hiss/white noise as opposed to ground hum, was it?

I have read many of your previous posts and you seem to be attacking Fractal products both here and on another well know forum. If that's what makes you happy fine but I'm not surprised that they haven't dignified your posts with a response.

If you read his comment, and the comments of others (see an example below) you can see that this is not an issue with the FM9 and is not an issue with everyone regarding the FM3.

If I had that much of a problem with Fractal gear I wouldn't spend so much time posting on threads about their products. I don't even click on threads about the Helix or QC because I'm not interested in them. I certainly don't have the time to go on to a thread about the release of one of their products and start crapping on something else they make.
If pointing out two specific instances of less than stellar experiences regarding two popularly discussed topics equates to attacking Fractal products as a whole, I’d suggest reconsidering. Those are two pages, not the whole book. If I didn’t love Fractal products I wouldn’t be here. I own them and plan on owning more. I love nearly everything about them, with the exception of the UI, and the frustration I experienced when trying to use 4CM. If asking here if I might experience a problem, that I’ve experienced previously (AS OTHERS ALSO HAVE) and done everything humanly possible to correct is attacking the company, then you have a very low threshold for accepting criticism on someone else’s behalf.

I’d actually guess it’s something with the amp. More specifically the way the FX loop is designed. I say this because I’ve run mine in 4CM with a few of my amps and don’t have noise issues (I can’t remember if I had issues with the California Tweed—I feel like I might’ve; I could check again).

Have you provided an audio/video recording of the specific sound you’re getting? I feel like I’ve read a description of it..? Hiss/white noise as opposed to ground hum, was it?
It’s certainly possible. I haven’t ruled that out. It would be a bummer, but it is what it is if that’s the case.

I haven’t recorded it, but I suppose I could. Not sure it would help, but no one else asked to hear it. In previous threads talking about it, it seemed like an occurrence that people knew what the issue was, or rather experienced it themselves, without needing an auditory example. It’s not a ground hum, it’s a “white noise” type of sound. A “hshhh” if you will, haha.

hmm, well not all amps are designed the same, so it could definitely be how that specific amp handles its effects loop. many are using 4CM with other amps with no problem. i think i remember some users of the FX8 saying specific amps didn't work well with the FX8 or any other effects unit with 4CM.

hard to say without trying that amp myself specifically.
I’ll end up trying it through another similar amp to see, but my Runt is my preferred amp. It does everything I want it to as far as tonality. I was hoping I could use the FM3 for 4CM with it.

If it’s the amp, that’s not Fractal’s problem.

Guys, this is the sweet-spot unit for me. It's got the portability of the FM3, but it opens up all of the potential bottlenecks. There's more I/O (three pairs, so you can run FOH, a stage monitor, and an effects loop all at once), more footswitches (as many as an FM3 plus FC-6 together), more CPU, more ports for expression pedals or switches, just... more. All in one floor box.

Now that the secret is out, this will be my main gig rig for all occasions. It's got everything I need.
Had the FM3, sold it because of the footswitches. Bought the Helix floor(amazing unit). Now I have to sell that to get what I ultimately wanted in the first place!

Very cool. My FM3 just arrived last week, and I already have an AXE III/FC12. My first thought was to check the return policy for the FM3, but I really like the small form factor so I'm going to keep. This is a great addition to the Fractal line-up and I predict will be the best selling unit.

that article meant to say Fractal isn't caught up in making marketing hype videos, where the more videos made = the more popular the product is. (even before the product launched.) because the only way to judge gear is by how many videos are made.

Last edited:
It’s certainly possible. I haven’t ruled that out. It would be a bummer, but it is what it is if that’s the case.

I haven’t recorded it, but I suppose I could. Not sure it would help, but no one else asked to hear it. In previous threads talking about it, it seemed like an occurrence that people knew what the issue was, or rather experienced it themselves, without needing an auditory example. It’s not a ground hum, it’s a “white noise” type of sound. A “hshhh” if you will, haha.

Don't rule out it being the amp. I had a Budda Superdrive 30 for a long time and every digital multi-FX device I tried was noisy in the FX loop of that amp. That amp is gone, but I have used the FM3 in 4-cable method with my RedPlate Blues Machine 66 without noise or hiss issues. There was a slight coloration to the tone, and a little noise, but nothing that you would even notice in the context of a live mix. A humbuster cable was necessary, and the gain staging in the FM3 is also critical. I assume you tried different gain settings for the FM3 outputs? IIRC, the default setting were not the optimal settings for 4-cable method (I primarily use the FM3 with in-ears and not with an amp so I don't recall the details).

Have to admit I’m very excited for this but I haven’t owned any new product since the Axe FX II. I’m really concerned about being able to read the scribble slips with my older eyes especially during the day. I already have problems with my Helix in certain situations and I think their strips are bigger? Can anyone comment about the ability to read the strips for older people without the use of a magnifying lens? That would be weird to have to mount some contraption above the unit just to read the print. Maybe I could also mount a cane holder, a denture cleaner and good hearing aid connection while I’m at it. 😉

I’m really concerned about being able to read the scribble slips with my older eyes especially during the day. I already have problems with my Helix in certain situations and I think their strips are bigger? Can anyone comment about the ability to read the strips for older people without the use of a magnifying lens? That would be weird to have to mount some contraption above the unit just to read the print. Maybe I could also mount a cane holder, a denture cleaner and good hearing aid connection while I’m at it. 😉
😆

I don't anticipate reading scribble scripts onstage. It shouldn't be hard to memorize which footswitches do what and that will be aided by color coding. Unless you use a ton of effects and bunches of presets it shouldn't be an issue.

Of course people have different methodologies...

Back
Top Bottom