Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

All: we are very pleased to announce the latest member of our product family, the new FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor. The FM9 is a nine-switch floor unit based on the award-winning Axe-Fx III, FM3, and FC Controllers. Feature highlights include Cygnus amp modeling, UltraRes™ IR speaker cab simulation, a suite of our highly-acclaimed stompbox and studio effects, FASLINK II expandable footswitching, extremely flexible I/O, 8x8 USB audio interface capabilities, a world-class Mac/PC editor, and more.

The FM9 completes our product family, standing proudly between Axe-Fx III and FM3 in terms of power, portability and price. It is our most powerful floor unit ever, with a four-core architecture able to run impressively complex presets.

The FM9 will begin shipping immediately in limited quantities in the USA and Canada, using our standard waitlist invitations to help manage the demand during the ongoing global semiconductor shortage and shipping crisis. As usual, a VIP invitation list for our endorsing artists will be processed in parallel. This time, we've also shown our gratitude by automatically adding some of the most notable members of this forum (you will have already received a private message). We are accepting orders from our dealers, but as always, we will sell a number of units domestically before commencing international fulfillment.

Retail price in the USA and Canada is $1599.99.

To join the wait list, please send an email to waitlist@fractalaudio.com with the subject "FM9 Wait List".

Our full press release is available here: https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM9/Fractal-Audio-FM9-Press-Release.pdf

On behalf of everyone here, thank you for choosing Fractal Audio Systems.
“Good things (always) comes ..For who wait”……Thanks Cliff and Team!! All f my whining was not in vain :)💯❤️

Congrats FAS...BUT, ever since I took the plunge and went FM#/FC-6 I've been reading all the FM3 Forum request about "can I do this", "why can't I do this" and some us that just play at home only ever wanted to be able to run two amps/two reverbs; that's all. SO unless FAS will give sweet "trade-in" pricing or I want to lose my ass on Reverb I guess I'm back to wondering how the other half lives...

I have never seen anyone connect digitally in a live environment. Since you’re asking there must be some folks out there going full on digital. Very interesting!
With digital taking over live boards, and with the AFX doing great conversion already, why do another conversion at the board? I’ve been using AFX AES ever since I went to a digital board. About a decade I think.

I had a chance once to chat with Sting’s sound man just before Sting went on. He said his system was full digital “universe” and the conversion to analog didn’t happen until the signal reached the concert mains. His board was a giant optical remote control. That was before everyone else went digital. Pretty slick.

Last edited:
Do any of the demo videos show whether it’ll fit into a rack (or not?) I was told earlier it’s too wide.

It’s less than 4” high. Sounds like it might fit a low profile rack drawer. That lets a user control it remotely live and make tweaks, but then pull it for detailed dialing in a studio…or running self contained at “non-rack” gigs…or just use the rack as the road case.

That level of versatility would be awesome.

Last edited:
To be fair I hated the FM3, I still use my FX8 which I loved. I play only stereo amps so this is a no brainer for me. SO, TAKE MY MONEY!
I wrote an email for the waiting list 5 minutes after this was posted but I haven't received any confirmation, I just hope it didn't got lost because that would be the difference between waiting a month or 6 to 12 months for it!... Should I send it again???

So the new FM9 doesn't have the USB A connection?
I still was hoping for the wireless feature for editing on the FM3 and this worries me 🤔 :D

Congrats to the new product launch!

Last edited:
To be fair I hated the FM3, I still use my FX8 which I loved. I play only stereo amps so this is a no brainer for me. SO, TAKE MY MONEY!
I wrote an email for the waiting list 5 minutes after this was posted but I haven't received any confirmation, I just hope it didn't got lost because that would be the difference between waiting a month or 6 to 12 months for it!... Should I send it again???

I hadn't got a reply after 5 hours ago so I sent another request from a different email account. Got a confirmation immediately. I'm figuring a month per hour . . . . :)

I hadn't got a reply after 5 hours ago so I sent another request from a different email account. Got a confirmation immediately. I'm figuring a month per hour . . . . :)
Bad news it seems. I just sent another request from the same account (my main account where I had always sent emails to fractal) and nothing happened, then I did it from another account and got a response immediately, 26 hours later from my first email. Why is this happening @Admin M@ ? Not happy at all because really each hour is like a month in waiting time taking into account everyone is interested in this thing! And it seems this is happening to a lot of people. Bummer....

Did @austinbuddy get one to start work on his sound packs?
Mine should arrive next week.

If the preset design architecture holds up, this should be a simple port for the 1000+ LiveGold, 200+ Bass, and Brit Rock Royalty #1 TonePacks. Still will need some time to check everything.

Naked Amps not sure about - I sometimes use more than two cabs (slots three and four) in those and the Fm9 will chop those cabs off I think (only two IRs per cab).

Assuming above is correct, I will just add a Cygnus FM9 (fw1.0) saved version to download zip files. So if you already bought a TonePack (aside from Naked Amps, have to investigate more), then you will get FM9 version free in the update once I finish them.

I just upgraded to a Quad Cortex from my Axefx 2 specifically for form factor and the fact that I run 2 guitarists through a single unit and the FM3 was totally inept and unable to do this. Today is my 30 days from my ship date and my return period. I'm trying to find the actual specs for the FM9 as a comparison to see if I should send the QC back and pickup the FM9... Fractal has not posted the true specs anywhere I can find though, just that it now has a quad core processor. They also don't say if you can simultaneously run multiple instruments through the unit. This makes it nearly impossible to make a fair comparison between the QC and FM9...

Does anyone know of anyway to get this information?

I just upgraded to a Quad Cortex from my Axefx 2 specifically for form factor and the fact that I run 2 guitarists through a single unit and the FM3 was totally inept and unable to do this. Today is my 30 days from my ship date and my return period. I'm trying to find the actual specs for the FM9 as a comparison to see if I should send the QC back and pickup the FM9... Fractal has not posted the true specs anywhere I can find though, just that it now has a quad core processor. They also don't say if you can simultaneously run multiple instruments through the unit. This makes it nearly impossible to make a fair comparison between the QC and FM9...

Does anyone know of anyway to get this information?
Its in this thread.

I think I read the III has a dual-core architecture and the FM9 will be quad? (I smell Quad Cortex competitor lol)
I've seen this misconception a lot. This is sort of like imagining that a go-kart with 4 wheels is faster than a Kawasaki Ninja with two.
The DSPs of the Axe-Fx III process data like, what's the expression? Oh yeah.

Last edited:
simultaneously run multiple instruments through the unit.
Yes, you can do this. There's an example preset for Electric and Acoustic on p.38 of the Owner's Manual. Combined with the knowledge that the unit has two amp blocks (press release, web site, manuals) you can extrapolate that it is possible to run two electric guitars into two different amps. In fact, you could technically do three instruments at once if one of them didn't require an amp block (acoustic? bass? accordion?)

Haha! It's absolutely amazing how many of the same burning questions get asked again and again
We received about 20 emails yesterday asking the price. It's in the press release, on the web site, in the forum post, in the Facebook post, on Instagram, on Guitar World/Music Radar, and other places too.

It makes me think people are unable to imagine that it is possible to learn things on one's own. I don't think that it's laziness, per se, because it takes more effort to ask the question than to find the answer. Maybe "lazy thinking". Whatever it is, this mentality demonstrates something about our societies.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to a Quad Cortex from my Axefx 2 specifically for form factor and the fact that I run 2 guitarists through a single unit and the FM3 was totally inept and unable to do this. Today is my 30 days from my ship date and my return period.

I would drop that QC like a crazy ex GF !
while it is still worth some cash.
The FM9 will do 2x the FM3 in one box .
or perhaps I would consider two FM3s

and tell the other guitarist to get a job
(Totally kidding)

Back
Top Bottom