Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

Enthusiasm will have to be held in check here in Australia - going on usual form, it's likely to be many, many months before there are any units available to buy retail here Down Under. So for now, my AxeFx3/FC-12 combo will just have to do ;)

Can we all take a moment to appreciate how Cooper fucking CRUSHED that demo video without a single marketing gimmick? No sepia-tone-drenched lens filters, no 5k multi-angle jump cuts, no goofy Youtube faces with his mouth hanging open like The Great Kat, and none of other obnoxious nonsense that all the "influencers" pile on when they demo gear these days?

Dude just plugged in, straight up kicked absolute ass and that was it. Perfection.
My dude. Thx 🙏

Wow. There had to have been quite a few meetings behind closed doors to try and suss out how this will affect the business overall. Used AF3's & FM3's & FC6's & 12's hitting the market... Those used items and the FM9 cutting into sales of the other units, new...
The FC’s are still needed to support the AxeIII. But it sure does seem like the FM9 will cannibalize the FM3. Which tells me the FM3 wasn’t doing well to begin with.

I was about to buy an FC6 for my FM3 today, and just recently bought the AB Live Gold set. My timing just sux.

But it sure does seem like the FM9 will cannibalize the FM3. Which tells me the FM3 wasn’t doing well to begin with.
this makes no sense to me. the FM3 is a small unit with 3 switches. the FM9 is a bigger unit with 9 switches. there are many people who need the smaller unit still.

you could make the same argument that the Axe3 cannibalized FM3 sales due to more CPU power, which also doesn't make sense. they are 3 different products.

none of that has anything to do with "how well" the FM3 was doing.

The FC’s are still needed to support the AxeIII. But it sure does seem like the FM9 will cannibalize the FM3. Which tells me the FM3 wasn’t doing well to begin with.

I was about to buy an FC6 for my FM3 today, and just recently bought the AB Live Gold set. My timing just sux.
The FM3 was insanely popular, shipping was delayed internationally because of demand. I believe that even after the $100 price increase the FM3 was back to being on a waitlist on the Fractal site for US customers. To me it seems like the FM3 was so popular that people wanted more and more out of the unit. I don't think there was a sales issue at all lol.

But it sure does seem like the FM9 will cannibalize the FM3.
How could it not (to some degree)? Especially at the price point of the FM9, seems like a no-brainer for anyone thinking of getting an FM3, especially if they also decide they need the extra switches. If your gigging needs are simple, then yeah, the FM3 is fine as a stand-alone unit.
I was amazed that the FM9 is quite a step closer to an Axe III, and not simply an FM3 + FC6 in one unit, that they priced them at $1600. Fantastic value. And it probably didn't really cost FAS all that much to develop, since the units share components.

So here are my questions.

Is the FM9 more powerful than the Axe 3? I think I read the 3 has a dual-core architecture and the FM9 will be quad? (I smell Quad Cortex competitor lol)

Will the FM9 use Axe Edit III or will there be another editor (I.e FM9-Edit)?

Will we be able to load Axe FX 3 presets into the FM9? (This would be AMAZING)

So here are my questions.

Is the FM9 more powerful than the Axe 3? I think I read the 3 has a dual-core architecture and the FM9 will be quad? (I smell Quad Cortex competitor lol)
No. FM9 is less powerful than the Axe-Fx III.

Will the FM9 use Axe Edit III or will there be another editor (I.e FM9-Edit)?
FM9-Edit is a thing that exists.

Will we be able to load Axe FX 3 presets into the FM9? (This would be AMAZING)
Yes! As long as they don’t contain more block instances than the FM9 allows or use more CPU than the FM9 supports.

Frustrating - sent my waitlist email at 1:28 pm. No confirmation reply. Sent another request from a different email account this evening and got confirmation immediately . . . .

Sorry to be that guy but I didn’t read all 18 pages so far… anyone asked about it having the metal brackets like fm3? I signed up for waitlist regardless as soon as I saw the announcement.

Well... crap.

I preferred the AX8 to the FM3 because I like to have at least six footswitches. Also, the AX8 sounds so good, even next to to my Boogie Mark IV, that I had reached perfection to my ears. I would bask in the tones sweetly singing from my six string, hearing sonic nirvana. I could get a recorded sound that was as good as or better than some of my favorite albums (to my ears). Any improvement when playing live would be indistinguishable. However, the other day, I was musing about how the only thing I was missing that would give me a reason to upgrade would be dual amps.

And along comes the FM9 with nine footswitches and dual amps.

EDIT: Awww... No tone matching... I still want one.

Last edited:
How could it not (to some degree)? Especially at the price point of the FM9, seems like a no-brainer for anyone thinking of getting an FM3, especially if they also decide they need the extra switches. If your gigging needs are simple, then yeah, the FM3 is fine as a stand-alone unit.
I was amazed that the FM9 is quite a step closer to an Axe III, and not simply an FM3 + FC6 in one unit, that they priced them at $1600. Fantastic value. And it probably didn't really cost FAS all that much to develop, since the units share components.

that’s why I speculated that maybe the FM3 sales were slowing down, because as a general rule, you don’t create products that make your existing products nearly pointless.

At the FM9 price (great price!), the FM3 market now becomes limited to:

FM3 owners who never needed an FC-N to supplement the FM3 (for example, recording or other non stage use)

FM3 owners that don’t need the additional CPU power.

Anyway, I’m sure they thought long and hard about this. It didn’t stop me from getting on the list

It's a winner. Want a compact low priced floor unit? Get the FM3. Want dual amps and AxeFX-style I/O? Get the FM9.

This is exactly what I've been wanting. For a few months now I've been seriously leaning on selling my FM3 and getting an AxeFX3 to unlock those dual amp potentials and Fractal just dropped the absolute perfect solution in my lap.

I LOVE THIS SHIT!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom