AFIII Need help with getting a beefier/thicker tone on my song. Please advise.

Maybe you need better speakers? I just listened on my Adams Audio T7V's and it sounds pretty darn good here! Not thin sounding at all to me. Nice work

Check out Rhett Shull's video on the use of fuzz. He has a segment in there on how to use it to thicken your tone (and not for the fuzz quality). I think this is the vid:

Are you bussing the guitar to any 'verbs or room IRs? This was always my go to for making guitars sound "bigger".
Is it double tracked? How is it panned? (quick listening on speakers, can't tell) also vital to making that "wall" sound.

Unless you are specifically mentioning the preset.

A few months ago, I read this article about how Korn archives massive guitar. They quad record (4x of each guitar) using different amps. Then they record a single note line of each guitar. I thought it was interesting, especially the single note part.

ok lay down vocals .. please advise. also them guitars and drums still sound thin and weak. any advice?
thanks

Last edited:
Your SoundCloud links aren't working for the first song anymore. Having said that, the other 2 links are working and to my ears the guitars sound just as good in each one. The 'Life Goes On' draft sounds great to me! Presumably that was on the Axe FX right?

Yes axefx. Please advise
Thanks
Honestly I like the guitars, I don't think they sound thin, I wouldn't change them at all!

The drums sound nice in the mix, but they do sound a bit programmed. There are some fast double bass runs which sound a little too perfect, and you maybe need to humanise them a bit by alternating the velocity on each transient. Having said that, most of the drums sound great to me! It's only the fast bits that need minor tweaking.

Again, I am making assumptions because you are not giving a lot of information. I'm assuming the drums are programmed right? If not, then can I hire your drummer!? :D

Overall I really like what you have done!

thanks.. yea midi drums. Not a drummer.. not much of a guitar player/songwriter but i try. how are the levels ? anything too low or too high?

Last edited:
Are you bussing the guitar to any 'verbs or room IRs? This was always my go to for making guitars sound "bigger".
Is it double tracked? How is it panned? (quick listening on speakers, can't tell) also vital to making that "wall" sound.

Unless you are specifically mentioning the preset.

A few months ago, I read this article about how Korn archives massive guitar. They quad record (4x of each guitar) using different amps. Then they record a single note line of each guitar. I thought it was interesting, especially the single note part.

Wow... I do that and didn't know they did. :) Never heard of others doing it before.

I only do it on some songs, just to add some definition and tightness as chords
can sometimes get mushy with gain.

I can't recall which band or guitarist did this, but I seem to recall during recording
that the chords are divided up and in one pass only the lower notes are played and
then in another pass the higher notes of a chord are played.

In the cab block do you have your low cut up high? if so maybe open it up a little while listening in the mix to let the low end on the guitars breath a little more.

Back
Top Bottom