Fatigue with the "I am hitting the CPU limits" on the FM3 talk???

la szum

Axe-Master
First off, it is redundant. Who needs all that stuff on and running in a single preset/scene/channel??

Second, get another FM3 and let them share the heavy lifting if you need all that pre and post modeling signal chain glitter. :)

Lastly, AXFXIII will cure you of that disease if nothing else will. So, there is hope. ;)

Oh, and this may be me stirring the pot a little, but all in good fun. 🍻 🍻

It’s Fractals fault really....

Mai many people said they simple want the power of an Axe III, but in the form factor of the FM3, oh, and they don’t want to pay any more than a FM3 for it either.....

so basically we just need a axe III floor editor and if they could sell it for say $899, it would be really appreciated lol

Easy to say when you have two. Yes, it gets redundant but what was more frustrating to me was seeing users complaining about running out of CPU with the Axe III when it was released. It doesn't matter what the capability of a device is, there will always be those who HAVE to push the limit, then complain about it as a shortcoming. Enough is never enough.

First off, it is redundant. Who needs all that stuff on and running in a single preset/scene/channel??

Second, get another FM3 and let them share the heavy lifting if you need all that pre and post modeling signal chain glitter. :)

Lastly, AXFXIII will cure you of that disease if nothing else will. So, there is hope. ;)

Oh, and this may be me stirring the pot a little, but all in good fun. 🍻 🍻
some people do need all that stuff....but those people should buy a III

There is unlimited CPU for those that want it - just string together multiple units via S/PDIF and divide the load among them.
Yes, but then they would find something else to complain about such as “I wan’t just one unit to take to the gig”.

For what I typically want to have in a preset, the FM3 is often at the edge of its capabilities where I might run into issues like swapping a block doesn't work because the system does not understand to substract the current block from the DSP limits.

I feel if the FM3 had about 10-20% more power there would be less complaints. But other than Fractal optimizing their code further, there is no way forward other than hoping they release a higher power floor format product or a next gen Fractal unit. Alternative you can just augment the Fractal with a couple of your favorite pedals so you can ditch say a delay or reverb block to allow for more headroom.

If you are willing to give up the form factor there is always the rack behemoth of an Axe-Fx 3. I don't want one, coming from an Axe-Fx 2 and never liking the rack format.

There is unlimited CPU for those that want it - just string together multiple units via S/PDIF and divide the load among them.
There is one user that did that (Axe-FX III + FM3) and he vehemently complained that he had to use two different editors. He wanted to edit both with the same software.

Receipt for eternal anguish: never stop complaining and wanting, and happiness will always be like the unreachable carrot in front of a donkey.

Last edited:
I don't mind it, I actually kinda like the challenge to work in every effect I want without exceeding the CPU limit. Work with what you have. It forces me to optimize my presets, consciously think about what I need it to do and cut the fat so to speak. Well, within the current 80% limit that is, so I guess my presets can be on the flabby side. :D I don't need a Chorus running at 5% mix level, but give me the option and I will. I don't need Reverb echo density at 8, but if I can, why not? Usually certain blocks or settings are in my presets out of convenience/laziness too, because I'm copy-pasting most of my own presets to use for different songs, sometimes only adjusting the BPM value. Then when adding things on or exchanging blocks, things can get out of hand so the challenge reappears.

I'm coming from the AxeFX 2, and was running my presets at the limit on that unit too, with 2 amp blocks and 2 reverbs for example, simply because it would let me and that seemed the best way of designing my presets. Now I'm getting the same (well, actually better) sounds and effects from the FM3 having optimized those to fit within the current CPU limit (thanks Channels feature and Plex Delay!). There are enough possibilities to optimize CPU usage whenever I run into that limit without really sacrificing sound quality. Without seeing the value on screen, I don't think I can hear a difference in reverb echo density of 6 vs 8, or a 5% Chorus mix, while that difference may keep the CPU in check and also allow me to run a preset with wah, tremolo, drive, phaser, delay and plex delay added in.

If you're aiming for the ultimate sound quality of studio reverbs and ultrares cabs with a kitchen sink of effects, then there's the AxeFX 3. Which is tempting sometimes, but I enjoy the compactness of the FM3+FC6 combination a lot as well.

I remember when the Boss CE-1 came out, and I got one, and shortly after that, it was always on. Did the same thing with the stereo BBE Sonic Maximizer. Was guilty of doing that with several effects. Then one day, I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I only had an amp to plug into, and it was like, wow. Where has this sound been? Then I realized I was trying to put all the spices in the dish, because they were in my spice rack, so to speak. It was all too much, and my tone had no variety. I started backing off, and using effects more sparingly after that, and people noticed my tones actually improving.
Now that I have an Axe Fx III, I try to remember that, and pick effects in a way that compliment the various parts of the song.

I don't mind it, I actually kinda like the challenge to work in every effect I want without exceeding the CPU limit. Work with what you have. It forces me to optimize my presets, consciously think about what I need it to do and cut the fat so to speak. Well, within the current 80% limit that is, so I guess my presets can be on the flabby side. :D I don't need a Chorus running at 5% mix level, but give me the option and I will. I don't need Reverb echo density at 8, but if I can, why not? Usually certain blocks or settings are in my presets out of convenience/laziness too, because I'm copy-pasting most of my own presets to use for different songs, sometimes only adjusting the BPM value. Then when adding things on or exchanging blocks, things can get out of hand so the challenge reappears.

I'm coming from the AxeFX 2, and was running my presets at the limit on that unit too, with 2 amp blocks and 2 reverbs for example, simply because it would let me and that seemed the best way of designing my presets. Now I'm getting the same (well, actually better) sounds and effects from the FM3 having optimized those to fit within the current CPU limit (thanks Channels feature and Plex Delay!). There are enough possibilities to optimize CPU usage whenever I run into that limit without really sacrificing sound quality. Without seeing the value on screen, I don't think I can hear a difference in reverb echo density of 6 vs 8, or a 5% Chorus mix, while that difference may keep the CPU in check and also allow me to run a preset with wah, tremolo, drive, phaser, delay and plex delay added in.

If you're aiming for the ultimate sound quality of studio reverbs and ultrares cabs with a kitchen sink of effects, then there's the AxeFX 3. Which is tempting sometimes, but I enjoy the compactness of the FM3+FC6 combination a lot as well.
I agree with this, I switched down from a III to the FM3 - and this was one of the drivers, with the III - every preset I made had every possible effect, which truth be told I just didn't need/use.

With the FM3, I think more about what I really need and have better, more focussed presets as a result

You all do know that, while yea, there is a slight gap when switching presets, this does not mean one cannot switch presets fluidly while performing, and must only use scenes and stay in a single preset right?

I don't mind it, I actually kinda like the challenge to work in every effect I want without exceeding the CPU limit. Work with what you have. It forces me to optimize my presets, consciously think about what I need it to do and cut the fat so to speak.
Ah, but the fat is where the flavor is, innit? ;)

I do the same thing with my AxeFX3. My busier presets nearly trade paint with the CPU 80% mark, but usually I find a way to economise. Currently going through a few at a time and pre-mixing IRs in CabLab on presets that allow for it (i.e., ones with 3rd party IRs) to save CPU cycles.

When the 4 eventually comes out some day, hopefully it will quadruple the 3's processing power, and be capable of 4 amps and 4 cabs simultaneously. I can't imagine hitting the rails on something with that much reserve power.... :)

When the 4 eventually comes out some day, hopefully it will quadruple the 3's processing power, and be capable of 4 amps and 4 cabs simultaneously. I can't imagine hitting the rails on something with that much reserve power.... :)
In b4 "I'll wait for the AxeFX V because it'll have 8 amps and cabs!"
The cycle repeats, repeats, repeats

It’s Fractals fault really....

Mai many people said they simple want the power of an Axe III, but in the form factor of the FM3, oh, and they don’t want to pay any more than a FM3 for it either.....

so basically we just need a axe III floor editor and if they could sell it for say $899, it would be really appreciated lol

Haha! Ask and ye shall receive, eh?? :)

Probably not in this case.

Back
Top Bottom