Mayer used an Axe-FX 3 for his new album

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it interesting that it’s announced someone uses the product and people just have to post “I don’t like him.”

Thanks for letting us know I guess?
I think the reason for the some of the negative knee jerk reaction is that people may have written him off in the early days when he wasn't known for brilliant guitar work, just another typical pop singer. If the last thing someone heard was the old radio hits like "body is a wonderland" or that other song with the lyric "I wanna scream from the top of my lungs," (which he doesn't even scream in lol) they assume all his stuff is like that and wonder why it matters if he's using an axe fx. To those people who don't know any better of his musical evolution, It would be like hearing Justin Timberlake now uses axe fx.

I have never liked John Mayer because of his singing style and because when he debued it was all catchy pop z100 music. I didn't know he had real guitar chops until a Chappelle Show episode where he was playing blues in the street. Then I was like, " wow, mad props to the dude." Over the years I realized he has real chops and I "get" why people here see him using axe III.

As for the "what music have you written at 14" sentiment: I don't think anyone has to be an expert or successful in the field themselves to express dislike of an art or product. Once the product is released it belongs to the public and the perception of its competency is now on the hands of the audience. The whole "can you do better" argument is moot. This person wants me to pay for their work. It has to be good (to me) in order for me to buy in. Me being a good guitarist or song writer are irrelevant when you're trying to sell me your art. I just have to consume it to decide if I like it. Sure, me being a good musician would help to inform me on the creative process and the work that goes into to making music, but it isn't a requirement. You don't need to know how cook to know what good food tastes like and you certainly don't have to be a world renowned chef just to justify being able to say "Carlo's Bakery in NYC is over rated"

Last edited:
I'd also like to add
to everyone who doesn't get why it matters that Mayer is now using the axe fx: it matters because he's someone who was about all vintage amps is now embracing the axe fx. If I got one of my friends to make the switch, I'd make a post and you people would be like "yeah, awesome! See? fractal is the best" so why can't it be just as relevant when an artist you barely know has made the switch? Is it only newsworthy if it's someone you personally like?

Last edited:
Some people are being overly negative about John Mayer and some people are acting like he switched completely to Fractal modeling! I think it's great for Fractal that an artist like John is using their device. It's a great time to be a guitar player, thanks Fractal :)

As opposed to someone I don't like? Yes. Why would I care what an artist I don't like uses?

If you like him and are happy he's using an Axe-Fx III, I say more power to you.
I don't like him or his music. It's not about caring what he uses, its about understanding why other people care.

Most famous bands and artists didn't get where they are because they have thin skins, and as a musician and songwriter, I've never considered releasing music an act of "courage", per se. Sure, I hope it connects with people, but I don't expect everyone to like it, and anyone who does is deluding themselves.

Why are you asking me? I can't speak for other people, but simply saying you're not a fan of an artist's music isn't tearing them down. It's stating a musical preference. There's also a difference between constructive and destructive criticism.

None of this is in any way relevant to my post.
Let me pull up my extensive Jason Scott catalogue of music to critique … sorry, … I am sure you have released something but if I could find it, I would never attack you art, your music or creativity as I appreciate the challenges of creating art and music. And while it goes beyond just critique of their music, big name artists are just as vulnerable as the rest of us to the pressures of life https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-musicians-who-committed-suicide/celebrity-lists

I work 40 hours a week at a job I don’t particularly love but it pays the bills...

if I could of written a few hit pop songs at age 14 and never had to work a real job again in my life you bet I would of done it.

can anyone here really say they wouldn’t like the royalties JM still is making of that stuff ?

I didn't like Mayer in the beginning but appreciated his skill on guitar when he showed it. After watching a few of his interviews I have respect for the man and his music. The pop aspect is amplified by the music business but he has some interesting and complex stuff.

Let me pull up my extensive Jason Scott catalogue of music to critique … sorry, … I am sure you have released something but if I could find it, I would never attack you art, your music or creativity as I appreciate the challenges of creating art and music.

My music isn't listed under the name Jason Scott on YouTube or SoundCloud, but I've posted plenty of stuff in the Recordings section of this forum. I don't consider someone saying they're not a fan of my music as an attack at all. My music is influenced by certain other artists, and if you don't care for the music of those artists, there's a good chance you won't like mine. That's not an attack. It's expressing a musical preference, and there's a difference between expressing a musical preference and being insulting.

And while it goes beyond just critique of their music, big name artists are just as vulnerable as the rest of us to the pressures of life https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-musicians-who-committed-suicide/celebrity-lists

Artists shouldn't be involved in the industry if they're not emotionally responsible enough to deal with the vicissitudes of public opinion.

My music isn't listed under the name Jason Scott on YouTube or SoundCloud, but I've posted plenty of stuff in the Recordings section of this forum. I don't consider someone saying they're not a fan of my music as an attack at all. My music is influenced by certain other artists, and if you don't care for the music of those artists, there's a good chance you won't like mine. That's not an attack. It's expressing a musical preference, and there's a difference between expressing a musical preference and being insulting.

Artists shouldn't be involved in the industry if they're not emotionally responsible enough to deal with the vicissitudes of public opinion.
I DM’ed you so that we don’t have to detail this thread any further.

I love john mayer so much man. Amazing songwriter, world class guitar player, and legacy level tone. I recall I was feeling down one autumn day, listening to Continuum, and I finally went and ordered a strat. it changed my playing forever.

I totally get not liking something, but there's a difference between that and saying something is objectively bad. In terms of creativity and goodness, that's like watering weeds.

Love that someone as mainstream and a fan of vintage gear is embracing a thing we all dig so much. I agree studio clean is awesome. Now we can all await his 8 string album featuring the Fas brootalz

I don't care much for his music or genre altogether, but I respect the skills he has. He's an incredibly skilled player, and I'm glad to have him on our team. I hope this brings lots of good press towards fractal products and modelers altogether.

You asked "Why would I care what an artist I don't like uses?" I'm saying that I try to understand why others do care about the gear he uses.
And that's your prerogative. If I don't like an artist, it really doesn't make any difference to me why someone else likes the gear that artist uses, but that's just me. To each their own, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom