Mayer used an Axe-FX 3 for his new album

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point of this thread was to show that a major act was choosing to use a piece of kit that we all have in common.

Like John Mayer or not the fact is, he has reached a degree of status in the music industry that most musicians can only dream of. That makes mention of him significant/relevant.

One only has to ask oneself; how many people had a reaction of any kind when I bought the AxeFx.
I'd venture to say that most people around here would be hard pushed to count that number, on more than one hand.

it takes a lot of courage to put your music out there no matter how big a star you are or not.
Most famous bands and artists didn't get where they are because they have thin skins, and as a musician and songwriter, I've never considered releasing music an act of "courage", per se. Sure, I hope it connects with people, but I don't expect everyone to like it, and anyone who does is deluding themselves.

@Jason Scott why are musicians tearing down other musicians?

Why are you asking me? I can't speak for other people, but simply saying you're not a fan of an artist's music isn't tearing them down. It's stating a musical preference. There's also a difference between constructive and destructive criticism.

So what if they are making more money, are more famous or sleeping with better looking partners than the rest of us? We should be standing together when it comes to our art and music! I think there are a lot of assholes here but I go out of my way to listen to all the recordings that are posted and like them because I value and appreciate the courage it takes to make ones self vulnerable and put your creative work out there! Totally dickish to put down another artist for their art!
Edit - I may have done it once to Metallica. I apologize.

None of this is in any way relevant to my post.

Last edited:
I just find it interesting that it’s announced someone uses the product and people just have to post “I don’t like him.”
What difference does it make what an artist uses if you don't like the artist? I like Eric Johnson, so finding out he's using an Axe-Fx III would have some relevance for me.

Last edited:
We don’t have the same John. 🤣
Can’t wait to see him play this song.
each has it’s own definition of what a « crazy » song is 😅

Why should a musician have to play that crazy song in order to be liked? I don't think that Gilmour, Andrew Latimer, Steve Rothery or Nick Barrett would play that, but I still enjoy more listening to their melodic lines than listening to Petruchio

Last edited:
The creative process is so fragile. And it takes a lot of courage to put your music out there no matter how big a star you are or not.
Absolutely. Making and sharing music, or any kind of art for that matter, that is an honest and authentic and truthful representation of your feelings is an unadulterated act of courage.

Dont get me wrong. The guy is a monster player in my opinon. I am a fan of his guitar playing... But did we all forget about this October 03, 2019? lol... I just find it comical... All things considered, John, you do you (with dead and co.), and I'll keep listening...lol...

“Amp modelers don’t quite understand two [other] things: they don’t understand the impulse of the note, so they don’t quite get the contact with the string correct - the way a tube goes ‘whoosh’; what I call the ‘wapoosh’ of the note. Amp modelers don’t yet know how to take a note and squeeze it the right way and send it out."

“Second thing is, there’s a lot of harmonic artefacting taking place if you play more than one string at the same time."

“Like if you do one of those bends where you’re playing three notes at once - you’re holding two, you’re bending the third one - it just goes [makes digital noise] on top of it because it doesn’t quite understand how to translate all that: three different notes of harmonic information, it just freaks out. But it’s pretty close - it’s not bad!”

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jo...hree-things-amp-modelers-havent-got-right-yet

Dont get me wrong. The guy is a monster player in my opinon. I am a fan of his guitar playing... But did we all forget about this October 03, 2019? lol... I just find it comical... All things considered, John, you do you (with dead and co.), and I'll keep listening...lol...

“Amp modelers don’t quite understand two [other] things: they don’t understand the impulse of the note, so they don’t quite get the contact with the string correct - the way a tube goes ‘whoosh’; what I call the ‘wapoosh’ of the note. Amp modelers don’t yet know how to take a note and squeeze it the right way and send it out."

“Second thing is, there’s a lot of harmonic artefacting taking place if you play more than one string at the same time."

“Like if you do one of those bends where you’re playing three notes at once - you’re holding two, you’re bending the third one - it just goes [makes digital noise] on top of it because it doesn’t quite understand how to translate all that: three different notes of harmonic information, it just freaks out. But it’s pretty close - it’s not bad!”

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jo...hree-things-amp-modelers-havent-got-right-yet

That was probably before @Admin M@ started tweaking the tone for him at his Axe-FX.

We've also had few users here saying that this thing sound very bad. Some of them disappeared after their first post (probably trolls from the competition). Others are still here, and very happy with their Axe-FX once their issues were sorted out.

someone can’t change their mind from 2 years ago? Weird.

That was probably before @Admin M@ started tweaking the tone for him at his Axe-FX.

We've also had few users here saying that this thing sound very bad. Some of them disappeared after their first post (probably trolls from the competition). Others are still here, and very happy with their Axe-FX once their issues were sorted out.
I've been a fan of Fractal since AXE. Not here to knock the company. Take my words at face value. Im taking about John...lol...

At what point is it acceptable for someone who only played vintage gear to use a newer product without it being comical?
At the point where 2 years ago he knocks it and then 2 years later he uses it on his album...that what point! I guess you dont share my sece of humor. thats ok. we dont need to discuss further.

I've been a fan of Fractal since AXE. Not here to knock the company. Take my words at face value. Im taking about John...lol...

I'm sorry If I didn't express myself properly. My post is not about you, it is about John comments. I am just noting that many users have bad experience with modelers because they don't use them properly (bad monitors, configuration, etc) so that its what may have happened to him when he made these statements.

I'm sorry If I have been misinterpreted. My post is not about you, it is about John comments. I am just noting that many users have bad experience with modelers because they don't use them properly (bad monitors, configuration, etc) so that its what may have happened to him when he made these statements.
My bad...I get what you are saying and to some extent I agree. I have read about such things. Fortunatly I haven't had such issues. Ive had some, but they were due to my own ingnoance of the unit. I use in-ears to play live and the AXE is amazing. So much so that every detail (I feel like I would have missed) comes though in the in-ears.

Absolutely. Making and sharing music, or any kind of art for that matter, that is an honest and authentic and truthful representation of your feelings is an unadulterated act of courage.

If you have confidence in what you're making, it's less about courage and more about sharing something you love.

This thread has gone way off topic, it should have been a constructive discussion about the fact that one of the biggest guitarists in our time (I said 'one of', there are many great guitarists alive today) has used one of the tools that we all enjoy using too (frankly, the fact that a factory preset was used is brilliant itself).
I would love it if a Mod could delete all the non-relevant messages (including this one) so that the thread is cleaned up and stays on topic and actually have a constructive discussion around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom