Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Amp modeling improvements to make ten years of machines that much better might be impossible, or a welcome coup. I leave it to Fractal to be the naysayers on going back on "no more firmware updates." I'm happy with my Ares infused IIxl+, but crave relative sonic compatibility with my FM3. IIxl+'s that get sold can generate interest in the company, and may also allow sellers to purchase III's.

The pro players that sold me on Fractal in the first place aren't flush with cash and I see II's still active in their racks. I wouldn't have added my initial "pretty please" message to this thread, but Cliff seemed so enthused about the mods that led to Cygnus, I was hoping to appeal to his obvious pride in the products and interest in keeping the competitors at bay.

I mean, a lot of the "evidence" provided here could have been thrown at the 2019 Ares update suggestion. And I'm typing this on a 2010 MacPro that stomps on many current computers. And for that matter, when I worked at IBM straight out of college, folks could still order ribbons for 1920's models. We all have different perspectives on this stuff. Happy Friday everyone. Thanks again Cliff, Fractal!
I feel that I must remind you that Apple no longer provides updates for your 2010 MacPro and hasn't for a number of years. How can you expect Fractal, a much smaller company, to do something that a much larger company won't?

I still own a IIXL+. I also have a III Mk2. But, the IIXL+ is a legacy product. It still sounds good, and enjoy it for what it is and you should too. Stop wishing for something that is not going to happen. Fractal cannot wave a magic wand and give you what you want.

You have it from the man himself, there won't be any more updates. What else do you need?

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 2.29.36 PM.jpg

I feel that I must remind you that Apple no longer provides updates for your 2010 MacPro and hasn't for a number of years. How can you expect Fractal, a much smaller company, to do something that a much larger company won't?

I still own a IIXL+. I also have a III Mk2. But, the IIXL+ is a legacy product. It still sounds good, and enjoy it for what it is and you should too. Stop wishing for something that is not going to happen. Fractal cannot wave a magic wand and give you what you want.

You have it from the man himself, there won't be any more updates. What else do you need?

View attachment 85331
Folks seem to really hate that I brought up Cygnus modeling improvements, and yet I'm still being asked to justify my position. Not sure there is really much more to be said, so this is my last post on the thread. @FractalAudio's been pull quoted a couple of times here now. Thanks all and I hope you enjoy your respective weekends.

Last edited:

View attachment 85331

I agree and am almost certain there will be no further updates but to play devil's advocate that post was from April 2019.... this whole Ares 2 thread is from September 2019 haha. On September 29th 2019, Cliff said "FWIW, I'll be porting some of the Axe-Fx III 9.xx changes this week. I woke up yesterday and figured out a way to use a single modeling data file for all products going forward so we won't have to maintain multiple files."

I'm assuming that didn't pan out for some reason since we haven't heard anything since then and it's been nearly 2 years haha, so I suspect that won't happen.

I agree and am almost certain there will be no further updates but to play devil's advocate that post was from April 2019.... this whole Ares 2 thread is from September 2019 haha.
What are you talking about? The post by rockstarjazzcat was made on June 25th, 2021. I posted my response on the same day.

I Have a question. No matter what I do, My Axe edit won't read my Fractal XL or my Mark 2 both fractals are on Ares 2.0 and Axed edit is on version 3.14.6

I had the same problem with the latest Axe Edit. So I still had on my Laptop an working older Version of Axe Edit. I installed this Version on my windows pc and is working perfectly. I think the problems have been caused with some bloody windows updates.So I'm not updating my laptop anymore as it's just for my Axe FX II MK I in use.

In case anybody is beating there head against a wall- there seems to be a problem with the smallbox model in ares 2. I had a buddy confirm on his unit- the bright cap appears to be wrong. it is 10pf but acts like a large gain boost. A 10pf bright cap wouldn't be noticable at all. I understand these things aren't going to get fixed- can't post to the locked bugs forum and its an ares2 issue so posting here just in case someone else comes across it.

Has anyone here rollback to a previous FW version? I have been thinking about going back to 10.01 for a long time, because I have the memory that there were several amp models that sounded very good to me, especially the fender models.

If anyone here has done it, I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Has anyone here rollback to a previous FW version? I have been thinking about going back to 10.01 for a long time, because I have the memory that there were several amp models that sounded very good to me, especially the fender models.

I had done it before. I got a great tone out of the Friedman hbe v2 in quantum 10. After updating to ares 2, I couldn’t replicate the tone exactly and there seemed to be a weird crackling noise. Since then, I discovered the fractal amps and never looked back.

Keep in mind that presets are not backwards compatible with older versions of firmware. Presets that you created or updated while on Aries will not load in Quantum. You'll likely need to use presets backed up when you were running that version Quantum or older.

I went back to the last Quantum version since there is a bug in the Smallbox model in Ares2- I was playing Ares2, flashed back and resumed playing. No tears.

I rolled back to the last quantum right after I tried aries. I still use the II for live gigs. I thought the mature Quantum sounded and felt better than the new aries, or at least, I didn't have the time to rework all of my presets.

Thank you all! So I think I'll do a full backup now on Ares2. And I will reinstall Quantum 10.01 to check what I think is correct. If it's not what I expect, I'll go back to Ares. Cheers!

I have gone to the FAS page and coincidentally 10.01 is still available.
Now I am even more intrigued, if what I believe is really so. Interesting.
1663866207814.png

Back
Top Bottom