The New Dune Movie Trailer…

Someone did a side by side comparison of the new trailer with the corresponding part of the old movie. Looked surprisingly similar taking in account the 38 year difference. The main problem with the 1984 film is that you can't make a movie that only the people who read the book will understand WTF is going on.

I read the first 6 books on my twenties, and love them so far. I still haven’t decided if like the 80s movie though. How many books in the storyline are covered in this new release?

I read the first 6 books on my twenties, and love them so far. I still haven’t decided if like the 80s movie though. How many books in the storyline are covered in this new release?
From what they have said, it’ll be half of the first book. Hopefully the movie will do well enough to get the second half made, and enough that some key people will be involved

From what they have said, it’ll be half of the first book. Hopefully the movie will do well enough to get the second half made, and enough that some key people will be involved
Well that will make the fans happy if the adaptation is good but for the non fans… maybe will leave it too open, also to describe all that universe in just a movie time is very complex, that was part of the problem of the first adaptation and why they had to use so much narration AFAIK.
Anyway the trailer looks great, let’s have hope.

When I read that Villeneuve will make THIS movie, I had goosebumps. This gonna be by far the most frakkin' epic movie of the last years (Bladerunner 2049 was phenomenal) . I know the story of dune by heart, but I know, I will love it.

The main problem with the 1984 film is that you can't make a movie that only the people who read the book will understand WTF is going on.
The problem is scope. With such a long and involved book series, anyone trying to make this into one movie is bound to run into existential difficulties. Re-interpretation or fan service? Cost? Sequels? Three movies? 4? 10?

The problem is scope. With such a long and involved book series, anyone trying to make this into one movie is bound to run into existential difficulties. Re-interpretation or fan service? Cost? Sequels? Three movies? 4? 10?

IMO this should have been done by one of the paid/streaming services. There's so much depth in the story, that to be restricted to even 3 hours is a hard task. There is plenty of material for a 6 stage mini series.

That being said, this REALLY looks good.

To me, the best way to adapt these books is long form streaming series, Game of Thrones style in terms of pacing.

I remember going to see the Lynch movie in the cinema as a kid and they handed out a photocopied glossary with each ticket. It was wildly abridged with a video game end battle, but I loved it in a different way from the books.

The Sci-fi cable series wasn't bad, but they couldn't portray the Harkonnens in the depths of their degeneracy on basic cable. The Sardukar were not formidable enough either in the fight sequences.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised by this one, but Paul seems less likely to lead a jihad than any of the other previously casted Pauls.

IMO this should have been done by one of the paid/streaming services. There's so much depth in the story, that to be restricted to even 3 hours is a hard task. There is plenty of material for a 6 stage mini series.

That being said, this REALLY looks good.
I suspect it'll get a lot of viewers thru HBO. If so, hopefully they'll see it as worth doing the 2nd part. Dune could be their next GoT if they do it right; there's so much good material after the first book (at least through Messiah and Children if not all of Frank's novels). Plus they already have the Sisterhood prequel in development so it's likely they'll want to keep building momentum.

And with so much backlash against the last seasons of GoT, they aren't guaranteed that House of the Dragon or whatever else they do will be that popular - so developing another franchise is definitely in their best interest. I'm gonna watch Dragon, but at this point I'm less excited than I could have been. Many people have sworn off all things GoT (also thanks to GRRM still not finishing Winds...)

Lynch’s Dune strayed way too far from the book. I’ve never been able to bond with his film.

If you’ve never seen the Sci-Fi network mini-series, check it out. It’s much more faithful to the source material.

The trailer is pretty cool and I've been looking forward to this movie since it was announced a couple of years ago. I have full confidence in Denis' ability to adapt a story this complex onto the big screen and create a stunning visual atmosphere and vibe. Indeed, the look and visuals already look amazing, and, if Bladerunner 2049 is any indication, it's going to absolutely rock on the big screen. This is a movie that may break my Covid-induced moratorium on going to a public theater...it really begs to be seen on a huge screen.

I have the 1984 adaptation on BluRay and there is much to like about it, particularly the steampunk-look, sets, costumes, etc. Many effects look pretty bad however, and condensing the story to a single movie requires too much voice-over exposition and has a general lack of depth of key points, concepts, etc. (understandable, as this story is so rich)...I remember thinking, while watching it at the theater, how glad I was I read the book first.

Awesome stuff....the first movie in quite some time that I've been very excited about.

Someone did a side by side comparison of the new trailer with the corresponding part of the old movie. Looked surprisingly similar taking in account the 38 year difference. The main problem with the 1984 film is that you can't make a movie that only the people who read the book will understand WTF is going on.
I need to take this back. I was thinking about the first trailer. I just saw the second trailer and it looks awesome.

What about a rebooted Battlestar Galactica style TV series of Dune?
No, no, a 1000x no. It would be made woke as f***. Hollywoke can't help themselves race and genderswapping characters left and right, making strong Mary Sue women, soulfull saint black guys and weak pathetic white men. Its bad enough that Villeneuve race and genderswapped Liet Keyes to a black woman.

Right now I don't want them to make ANYTHING until they quit inserting their politics into everything. And no more reboots!

Emily Latilla: WHAT’SO BAD ABOUT ROBOTS???

Chevy: That’s reboots, not robots.

Emily: Oh, that’s very different. Never mind.

Yeah, I’m old. I remember groupies and when SNL was funny.
They may call them by a different name, but there will always be groupies.

Back
Top Bottom