904B7F32-3E61-4DE2-A5B4-B01C987889D1_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • 7DB1D43E-274C-4774-A574-24FDD6CE03B8_1_201_a.jpeg
    7DB1D43E-274C-4774-A574-24FDD6CE03B8_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • A1B91A51-88C6-4CAD-852A-4180CB660317_1_201_a.jpeg
    A1B91A51-88C6-4CAD-852A-4180CB660317_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
I love parts guitars but as easy as it may be to screw stuff together the devil is in the detail.
Take your time and choose carefully and you can end up with something that is the equal of anything many costing multiples of your build.
Everything matters though and beware of just going by the looks.

158500583_3284701858296697_7952280377279451361_n.jpg

My nod to Jimmy's Dragon tele. Warmoth neck and body. I did 100% Tung Oil on the body and fine layer of Tru-Oil on the neck. My first attempt at relic'n hardware and got carried a way on a few spots but it looks cool to me. A buddy did the phenomenal art work. Sounds and plays great.

View attachment 86420

My nod to Jimmy's Dragon tele. Warmoth neck and body. I did 100% Tung Oil on the body and fine layer of Tru-Oil on the neck. My first attempt at relic'n hardware and got carried a way on a few spots but it looks cool to me. A buddy did the phenomenal art work. Sounds and plays great.
That's a helluva nod! Looks fantastic!

I love parts guitars but as easy as it may be to screw stuff together the devil is in the detail.
Take your time and choose carefully and you can end up with something that is the equal of anything many costing multiples of your build.
Everything matters though and beware of just going by the looks.
Yep. I think I spent more time dialing in the nut and fretwork than I did assembling it. It plays better than my American Professional Tele.

I put this together a few years ago, all warmoth, Mahogany body, Roasted Flame Maple Top, Roasted Maple neck. Set up currently in Drop C# with the floyd dive only
IMG-9639.jpg

IMG-9638.jpg

IMG-9640.jpg

IMG-9641.jpg

IMG-9645.jpg

IMG-9643.jpg

IMG-9642.jpg

IMG-9644.jpg

old school floyd arm
IMG-9646.jpg

I only have the one. This is its story:

During the years when I was "attending NCSU" (euphemism for skipping class to play guitar) I met a student from Charlotte who had a maple Schecter neck that he didn't need. I bought it for $50 (bear in mind we're talking 1989/90.)
My first thought was to put it on my awful Kramer Striker and I tried that for a short time. The neck deserved a real guitar body and my Dad's Warmoth catalog came in handy then. I bought an extremely basic Southern Ash strat body with the intention of staining it red (like the guitar in my av). I thought I needed something that could be a real blues guitar as the only good guitars I had were a JEM77FP and an RG77DX (what is a guy to do? Shred machines.) I was already tired of dealing with dual-locking trems, as well. I had discovered King's X and I needed to be able to downtune on the fly!
I gathered all the parts: the neck and body, stole the tuners off my Kramer (which now has Grovers on it), I bought a white three-ply Fender S/S/S pickguard and put a couple SD Vintage Staggered SSLs in there with one of the ubiquitous Fender '57/'62 pickups.

I did a test-fit of the parts, stripped it back down and rubbed some paste-wood filler into the end-grain of the body with a piece of burlap. It turned the pretty, blonde wood into a "pretty hideous" orange. My intention was to seal and protect the wood until I primed and painted it (I had given up on the stain/clear-coat idea as way beyond my skills.) I put the guitar back together and that was the last time I seriously considered finishing the body. I'd like to have it healed up and painted grand piano black but who am I kidding? It's been 29 years.

Don't ask me why but I never liked those pickups and they didn't last too long. When the Texas Specials hit the market I put them in there and was much happier. Time passed and I wasn't playing it very often and I admitted the hard truth: I couldn't get with the single-coil bridge pickup (I'm a big baby.) I couldn't do it justice with my playing, for sure. That was when I faced reality and decided I would go H/S/S with it. I bought a Fender pearloid pickguard, put the neck and middle Texas specials in it, and ordered a trem-spaced Pearly Gates. I had a hunch I'd love that pickup and it was a good hunch. The best part about it is how it sounds in parallel. It's very much in that hot single-coil territory without being as thin as a coil tap (while still "bucking hum"). And that's where I left it. It's solid like a rock. It's my second loudest solid-body (acoustically). It'll need another fret-level eventually as I've probably put more notes on this guitar than the rest (being that so many of the other guitars are double-locking trem systems and this guitar can zip through tunings while hanging in on just about any style of music from clean to fully-saturated high gain, string changes take ten minutes, making it a go-to for random noodling and practice.

It's never been much to look at, but it plays like a much more expensive instrument and it sounds fantastic. Very raw, old-school sounds from an extremely simple build.

Let's see if I can link some pics:
HC0sAKo.jpg

One thing I did finally do was shield that pickup cavity last month:

vyvU8Xn.jpg

Wp7qQHL.jpg

No thumbnails. I'll work on that.

Last edited:
I only have the one. This is its story:

During the years when I was "attending NCSU" (euphemism for skipping class to play guitar) I met a student from Charlotte who had a maple Schecter neck that he didn't need. I bought it for $50 (bear in mind we're talking 1989/90.)
My first thought was to put it on my awful Kramer Striker and I tried that for a short time. The neck deserved a real guitar body and my Dad's Warmoth catalog came in handy then. I bought an extremely basic Southern Ash strat body with the intention of staining it red (like the guitar in my av). I thought I needed something that could be a real blues guitar as the only good guitars I had were a JEM77FP and an RG77DX (what is a guy to do? Shred machines.) I was already tired of dealing with dual-locking trems, as well. I had discovered King's X and I needed to be able to downtune on the fly!
I gathered all the parts: the neck and body, stole the tuners off my Kramer (which now has Grovers on it), I bought a white three-ply Fender S/S/S pickguard and put a couple SD Vintage Staggered SSLs in there with one of the ubiquitous Fender '57/'62 pickups.

I did a test-fit of the parts, stripped it back down and rubbed some paste-wood filler into the end-grain of the body with a piece of burlap. It turned the pretty, blonde wood into a "pretty hideous" orange. My intention was to seal and protect the wood until I primed and painted it (I had given up on the stain/clear-coat idea as way beyond my skills.) I put the guitar back together and that was the last time I seriously considered finishing the body. I'd like to have it healed up and painted grand piano black but who am I kidding? It's been 29 years.

Don't ask me why but I never liked those pickups and they didn't last too long. When the Texas Specials hit the market I put them in there and was much happier. Time passed and I wasn't playing it very often and I admitted the hard truth: I couldn't get with the single-coil bridge pickup (I'm a big baby.) I couldn't do it justice with my playing, for sure. That was when I faced reality and decided I would go H/S/S with it. I bought a Fender pearloid pickguard, put the neck and middle Texas specials in it, and ordered a trem-spaced Pearly Gates. I had a hunch I'd love that pickup and it was a good hunch. The best part about it is how it sounds in parallel. It's very much in that hot single-coil territory without being as thin as a coil tap (while still "bucking hum"). And that's where I left it. It's solid like a rock. It's my second loudest solid-body (acoustically). It'll need another fret-level eventually as I've probably put more notes on this guitar than the rest (being that so many of the other guitars are double-locking trem systems and this guitar can zip through tunings while hanging in on just about any style of music from clean to fully-saturated high gain, string changes take ten minutes, making it a go-to for random noodling and practice.

It's never been much to look at, but it plays like a much more expensive instrument and it sounds fantastic. Very raw, old-school sounds from an extremely simple build.

Let's see if I can link some pics:
HC0sAKo.jpg

One thing I did finally do was shield that pickup cavity last month:

vyvU8Xn.jpg

Wp7qQHL.jpg

No thumbnails. I'll work on that.
Fun stuff!

How much difference did the cavity shielding make?

Fun stuff!

How much difference did the cavity shielding make?
I really wish I knew! I moved into this apartment at the beginning of May. When I finally got my guitar rig set up and plugged in it was with this guitar, and I'm getting some pretty bad noise through every preamp/amp in the place. It reminds me of when I visited a friend's house and I was playing in a spare room and the line noise was terrible, picking up actual radio stations on the amps (even with the guitar rolled off). So I'm doing things like shielding guitars and I bought a new Furman M-8lx. Haven't tried the Furman yet but this noise is bad. Anything I try to do with high gain suffers. It's not the instruments because even my quietest guitar circuits yield the same results. It sounds like I am in a room full of flat-panel monitors and flourescent bars, but it's actually a rather large apartment building with a LOT of units.

It's an ongoing thing so I'll absolutely share the story if I can resolve the issue. I'm beginning to think it's going to take some sort of nuclear option to fix (Blast off and nuke the site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.)

I really wish I knew! I moved into this apartment at the beginning of May. When I finally got my guitar rig set up and plugged in it was with this guitar, and I'm getting some pretty bad noise through every preamp/amp in the place. It reminds me of when I visited a friend's house and I was playing in a spare room and the line noise was terrible, picking up actual radio stations on the amps (even with the guitar rolled off). So I'm doing things like shielding guitars and I bought a new Furman M-8lx. Haven't tried the Furman yet but this noise is bad. Anything I try to do with high gain suffers. It's not the instruments because even my quietest guitar circuits yield the same results. It sounds like I am in a room full of flat-panel monitors and flourescent bars, but it's actually a rather large apartment building with a LOT of units.

It's an ongoing thing so I'll absolutely share the story if I can resolve the issue. I'm beginning to think it's going to take some sort of nuclear option to fix (Blast off and nuke the site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.)
Hmmm, so not that much of difference then. That's too bad, but you may have saved me some annoying work on my EJ.

I have built and rebuilt one on the warmoth website for the last week straight does that count? The funds have been encumbered for the project, need to pull the trigger. Great inspiration picks throughout here

Assembled this a year ago as a standard tele with Fender OV pickups.

Today I received a set of Wilde Keystone T Nashville pickups. Wired as a standard 3-way tele with a mini toggle for the middle pup. I might have to wire my Strat this way as I find it much easier to kick in the N/M or M/B than the 2/4 position on a 5-way switch.

The Keystone pups are on the brighter side for my tastes so installed a heavy Gotoh six saddle bridge to tame it down. Worked out perfectly.

I am pleased with the results, aesthetic and sound.

Other specs: MIM Fender deluxe alder body. Fender roasted maple 12"r 22f neck with a bone nut. Fender locking tuners. Control plate from RockRabbit.

IMG_0578.jpeg

Assembled this a year ago as a standard tele with Fender OV pickups.

Today I received a set of Wilde Keystone T Nashville pickups. Wired as a standard 3-way tele with a mini toggle for the middle pup. I might have to wire my Strat this way as I find it much easier to kick in the N/M or M/B than the 2/4 position on a 5-way switch.

The Keystone pups are on the brighter side for my tastes so installed a heavy Gotoh six saddle bridge to tame it down. Worked out perfectly.

I am pleased with the results, aesthetic and sound.

Other specs: MIM Fender deluxe alder body. Fender roasted maple 12"r 22f neck with a bone nut. Fender locking tuners. Control plate from RockRabbit.

View attachment 86998
Are you rocking a Reverend string tree?

Back
Top Bottom