FM3 Presets FAS SOS: Set of Settings Project: Data+Presets: COMING SOON: SOS PROJECT 2.0!

Third-party preset or preset pack for the FM3

Prince

Inspired
Vendor
https://www.sospresets.com/

SOS Preset List 1.png

The "Set of Settings" (SOS) Project is a statistical analysis of thousands of presets for the Fractal Audio™ Axe-FX 3™ & FM3™. The “Set of Settings” or “Save our Settings” (SOS) Project is the result of 1 year and over a thousand hours of research, data mining, compiling, preset creation, and more. I have analyzed over 6,030! unique amp block Ideal channels/presets, and over 2,065 “advanced” presets! Plus I have been tracking thousands of channels for cabs, drives, reverbs, delays, comps blocks, & more to come. This big data approach to preset creation for guitar digital modelers is the first of it's scale & possibly of it's kind.

After purchasing my FM3 and being a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of amps, cabs, & effects, I set out to gain a little inspiration/direction from the factory presets, pro/paid creators such as Austin Buddy, Fremen, Marco Fanton, & most importantly, from YOU on AxeChange, to see how experienced vets were dialing in their presets. Just a gentle nudge in the right direction…Well, that escalated quickly and soon spun out of control, as I started tracking stats for almost all of the amp and effect models available in the FM3.

The goal of the SOS Project is that by tracking the minimum, maximum, average, median & more values for each setting/parameter, the SOS can provide users with 6-8 "suggested" or "usable" values, to act as starting points for dialing in their own tone. The SOS Project doesn't provide definitive answers for what is the perfect/best setting. The SOS’ are not answers; they are tools.

The SOS Project provides means, not necessarily ends. The SOS Presets, aren't presets per se; rather they're "Ante-Presets", or templates. The SOS Presets are what comes before you create your own presets. My hope is that they should provide us with some guidance, by drawing upon our collective experience, expertise, and preferences, to demonstrate general patterns/trends in how we collectively dial in our FAS gear.

All of the SOS’ displayed on the Website are available for FREE!

12 sample presets featuring 48 of the most popular amp models are available for FREE!

Available for purchase is 90 presets, the SOS' for 252 Amp models, All of the Cab Block Settings, all of the Drive models, Input Gate, and select Compressor, Delay, & Reverb models. Included with the presets are custom FC Controller Layouts that I made to make navigating the SOS Presets as easy and intuitive as possible. These are based on a modified version of the OMG9 Layout with an Amp Control Layout similar to Austin Buddies, with six Control Switches for various Amp Block parameters.

In the coming months I will be creating 1 preset per amp model, with 3-4 unique channels made up of values from that model’s SOS. But first I will continue compiling the data for the remaining effects models, primarily Modulation Blocks, Drive, Delays, Reverb, Pitch, & more effects blocks. These will be available for purchase with a similar FREE! sample.

Thank you for taking interest in my compulsive obsession, ahh, I mean my research project. I hope you find this data as resourceful as I have and that it enables you to gain a greater familiarity of the FAS models, hardware, and ultimately aids you in unleashing your creative fury!

May the Chug Be With you! \m/

Presets 4x Amp Models.png
Cab Block.png

SOS Layouts.png

SOS Control Switches 1.png

Last edited:
so how would this be used?

say i'm new to the Axe-Fx. i want to try an amp model. what do i do? what do the spreadsheets provide?

SOS .................... be careful , the free jp mesa preset makes your fm3 collapse . reboot required !!!!!!!!!!
the
HG1 mesa boogie l-SOS and ll-SOS
scene 5 , boinggggg

SOS Sample Presets 1.0, do not save when loaded into "Manage Preset" tool. FW 3.0. / FM-EDIT 4.01

Please advise.

So... A long advertisement for something quite cryptic (although impressive-soundng) followed by bug reports... what's going on here lol?

This is so forward looking it is copyrighted in the Future…(or perhaps OP has been watching too much Loki)…pasted From website below,,,,,
© 2023 SOS Presets. created with Wix.com

SOS .................... be careful , the free jp mesa preset makes your fm3 collapse . reboot required !!!!!!!!!!
the
HG1 mesa boogie l-SOS and ll-SOS
scene 5 , boinggggg
I just checked and this isn't happening on my end. If you're still experiencing this issue, please DM me and I'll help get it sorted out. Thank you.
SOS Sample Presets 1.0, do not save when loaded into "Manage Preset" tool. FW 3.0. / FM-EDIT 4.01

Please advise.
All of the presets were built/modified on the FM3 FW 4.00 and FM3-Edit 1.05.01. Sorry but the Presets won't be backward compatible to any pre-Cyguns/4.00 firmware. I just downloaded, unzipped, and reinstalled the files with no issues. If you are running 4.00, did you make sure to unzip the files? I tried to replicate this issue and accidentally clicked on the zipped rather than unzipped folder, which predictably didn't allow me to load the presets into my FM3. Please DM me and I'll help get it sorted out. Thank you.
This is so forward looking it is copyrighted in the Future…(or perhaps OP has been watching too much Loki)…pasted From website below,,,,,
© 2023 SOS Presets. created with Wix.com
Typo or Time Travelers? Coincidence or Aliens!?!

so how would this be used?

say i'm new to the Axe-Fx. i want to try an amp model. what do i do? what do the spreadsheets provide?
This project is aimed at two types of users: 1) beginner users like myself who are baffled by the massive amount of models & parameters, 2) more experienced users who want to gain familiarity with neglected models, or to gain a deeper familiarity with various models & parameters.

What the SOS Project offers is a methodology for dialing in models. The SOS Project isn't just research data meant for observation only. The data/suggested settings are ingredients, meant for a plug and play approach. The SOS methodology (for dialing in models, not for it's research methods) is very loosely defined. I've included a page on the website that gives a rough explanation of my suggested method, along with some other notable methods from esteemed fellows.

Here is intended SOS methodogy:
1. User picks an amp model to explore.
2. User finds the SOS Preset with said amp model. The presets are templates, they are meant to be engaged with and altered. The Presets are means, not ends. All of the Presets contain the overall Average values from each models SOS. While a lot of these presets sound usable/good with just the average values, they are meant to be the starting point for dialing in ones personal tone.
3. User consults the corresponding Spreadsheet for said amp model.
4. (Optional) Use the Looper Block or one's DAW and record some simple passages. Press Play.
5. User then dials in their own settings, likely working in this order:
a. Gain & Master controls,
b. EQ controls (Bass+Middle+Treble+Presence)
c. Advanced controls
6. For each control, start with the SOS Suggested Values: Average, Median, Low 2 avg, Max, etc.. If you're not satisfied, choose any of the random/included values from the spreadsheet.
7. Recheck Gain, Master, & EQ Controls
7. Level preset to an average of -18.0 LUFS.
8. Save!

This methodology is meant to cut down on the time it takes to dial in tones. A user can work through all of the 6-8 Suggested Values in order from Min->Low->Avg->High->Max. If the user narrows it down to a Suggested Value between say Medium & Max, then they can choose High Avg 1 or High Avg 2 or any value of their choice within that range.

I made a quick MSPaint image that might help to visualize how the settings are ranked from low->high, and where that makes those settings fall into the different Low 2 Avg/Low 1 Avg/High 1 Avg/High 2 Avg ranges. If you think of the results like a parameter knob you can twist, and we have a perfectly even distribution of results between 0.0 & 10.0, then on the dial, the Suggested Values should look like this:
Min = 0.0, Low 2 Avg = 1.25, Low 1 Avg = 3.75, Average/Median = 5.0, High 1 Avg = 6.25, High 2 Avg = 8.75, Max = 10.0.

on the Spreadsheets, all of the columns are arranged from low->high and are color coded with the Low1/Low2/etc. group they are a part of. The purple blocks designate where a row's values had to be shared between the two adjoining sections because the total # of rows in the SOS didn't evenly divide by 4.

I promise this isn't as complicated as it sounds. It is meant to be quick and simple. I hope this helps!
Settings Wheel.png
What in part differentiates this approach from other commercial presets is that the presets are the main course, there more like hour derves to tide you over until you create your own unique sound. While with other commercial presets the user is paying for the creators finely crafted presets akin to a decadent meal, with the SOS you're just some bags full of groceries and a crumpled up recipe written on a cocktail napkin. This is more like a cookbook that only list the ingredients than the procedures. Some assembly required, with a DIY punk-ethos, for adventurers and creators, not just replicators.

Def seems like you put a lot of work into it, but with the way a lot of the Cygnus presets came out - I just have to hit a few buttons and I'll find a great tone. If it works though - great - any tool that helps people use the Axe to it's fullest potential is worth looking at.

Where are the free sample presets at https://www.sospresets.com/ ? I couldn't find them.
Store & More (right tab) -> Store (1st sub tab) -> SOS Sample Presets 1.0 $0.00 (first product on left).
Def seems like you put a lot of work into it, but with the way a lot of the Cygnus presets came out - I just have to hit a few buttons and I'll find a great tone. If it works though - great - any tool that helps people use the Axe to it's fullest potential is worth looking at.
Were you trying to access the website on a desktop or via a mobile device? For the mobile platform, I just added the missing menu tab that provides access to the entire site. Hopefully this should fix it, if not, please let me know.

Sorry for all of the technical glitches y'all. I built the website all by my lonesome and I only have limited experience with web design. If this horribly unsmooth rollout persists, I'll hire some professional help.

Someone did that exact same thing with the Helix, took thousand of presets to dissect them, ran stats on amp parameter settings to find an "ideal" setting for each amp model etc. Except that amp settings are dependent on the cab used, so if you use custom IRs, that changes the relevance of the analysis, no?

Someone did that exact same thing with the Helix, took thousand of presets to dissect them, ran stats on amp parameter settings to find an "ideal" setting for each amp model etc. Except that amp settings are dependent on the cab used, so if you use custom IRs, that changes the relevance of the analysis, no?
That was most likely me. I've included the SOS Project that I did for the Line 6 Helix family on the SOS Presets website. I would say that "ideal" settings not matching up with cab/IR changes was/could be two things: 1) my fault for not explaining the intent of the projects and presets clearly, resulting in 2) user error.

For the FAS SOS Presets I created, all of the included values are just starting points. They are not "ideals/absolutes/best evars"; they are the overall averages of the tracked parameters. The averages are good jumping off points for the user to plug in the other suggested values (or their own!) and dial in the tones that they desire. Presets = templates = meant to be edited. This is an interactive project.

As for the cabs, yes, changing cabs/IRs will have a dramatic affect on the tonality of each model. Each Cab Block in the SOS Presets includes four channels of popular speakers/blends that work with the amp models/channels in that preset. The choice of the Factory Cabs was based on a) the most popular cab choices from various pro/paid, factory, and AxeChange sources, and b) my own personal preferences. Each Cab Channel uses 2 IRs, 1x SM57 + 1x R121. The a/b/c/etc. mic positions were chosen based on my personal preferences. Users should not be afraid to experiment and try out different Factory and third-party Cabs/IRs and mic combinations, positions, speaker mixes, etc.. ALL values featured in the SOS Presets are just suggestions.

The SOS Presets aren't ends, they are means. Some Assembly Required. What's more fun; having the thing on the LEGO box after it's been built? Or the process of building the LEGO box thingy, or better yet, using the LEGOs to build something else entirely!? The presets are in service to the data featured in the spreadsheets. The spreadsheets are the truly valuable content, not the presets. The SOS Project is not meant for passengers on a cruise liner; it is meant for sailors, explorers, wayfaring adventurers, but for those ruffians who prefer to keep map or compass nearby.

Basically this is IKEA, not West Elm.

Last edited:
Wow, it appears to be a lot of work! I am guessing your a numbers guy by trade or addiction:grinning:
Partially by trade (real estate), mostly by addiction/OCD. I actually hate math. My academic background is in Philosophy and Religious Studies. So, not math! I'm just an avid (over) researcher.

Very much appreciated, This is invaluable data and IMO worthy of being pinned in the forums
Thank you. Hopefully this can help alleviate the inevitable "what are y'alls go to/best/essential settings for [insert model here]" questions/threads. I hope the average values will serve as good starting points, and then users can take it from there.

I forgot to actually reply to you in my previous post where I quoted you. Sorry! I completely agree. After Cygnus, I found it very swift and easy to dial in most tones. The SOS Project and method should be an extension of this, not a replacement. The SOS should augment the fact that Cygnus has gotten easier to dial in, but hopefully making it (in a way) even easier, or, more so that users are making more engaged and informed decisions as they choose their own values to use.

There are patterns a user can glean from the spreadsheets that might help to dial in an amp that the user is unfamiliar with. For example, a user might not know that it is common practice with a Euro Red/Blue to crank the treble, or with a USA Lead, to cut the bass way down. The user leaves their bass or treble at 5.00 and wonder why they are getting "that" tone.

The data should show these general practices. For example, the USA Lead Mid Gain Bright's average bass = 2.10. If you look at it's table/SOS, the highest bass setting is only 4.98. For a more "normal" amp, most of their average EQ values will fall in the 4.50-5.50 range. A 2.10 tells me that the USA Lead ain't no average amp and needs a different EQ approach!

I also feel that there is a lot of pertinent info in the SOS Project that goes beyond knob turning, such as the lists of popular Impedance Curves and Cabinets (per amp model or gain family).

Originally I was just going to track the Amp Block's Ideal Page settings, but I got curious about the ~90 other parameters. I decided to track some "Advanced" parameters (aka those listed on pages other than the Authentic or Ideal pages). I did some research and made a list of what Advanced parameters users on various FAS & TGP threads said they liked to tweak the most. I then narrowed that list down to what I felt were the most important/popular ones. As a user, this helped me engage things like Bias Excursion or Supply Sag, parameters I would have previously avoided/left stock. My hope is that for fellow non-veteran users, the short list of Advanced Parameters can also help them overcome option paralysis and venture beyond the Authentic & Ideal Pages.

It's like going spelunking, but the SOS gives you a flashlight!

I forgot to actually reply to you in my previous post where I quoted you. Sorry! I completely agree. After Cygnus, I found it very swift and easy to dial in most tones. The SOS Project and method should be an extension of this, not a replacement. The SOS should augment the fact that Cygnus has gotten easier to dial in, but hopefully making it (in a way) even easier, or, more so that users are making more engaged and informed decisions as they choose their own values to use...

My only feedback is that in your initial post when I was reading it, it seemed more complicated than I would want to dive into - not saying that's the case at all - that was just my original gut feeling that made me not want to pursue it right now. The Axe is, or can be pretty complicated and the tool you've designed while potentially beneficial to everyone, is probably something that would REALLY benefit new users - so making it less complicated would be the way to go. If it isn't complicated, perhaps it's just a matter of documentation that's easier to consume.

Just constructive feedback - I applaud anyone that is out there trying to help the community and bring us tools that give everyone the ability to access the full potential of the Axe.

Peace and keep up the good work!
Brian

i purchased the SOS presets . going trough with my suhr classic and jp 15 , i discovered a lot of treasures ! had to make room for them in my fm3 :) . on the fx 3 they sound (imho) even better .
a huge enrichment for my hunger to find the best sounds !!!!!
Thx CB

Back
Top Bottom