Is there a future in modeling speakers? Any other cab sim pedal users?

Griff_NZ

Inspired
So, maybe its me, or even my playback system/P.A.. but I use the Cabzeus speaker sim pedal as my cabs with the FM3, and far prefer the sound of it over ALL Impulse Responses I have tried.
I've tried, 3Sigma, Ownhammer, Kalthallen, Celestion, York audio, ML, and even the latest Jens Bogren packs.
Dont get me wrong, there's some real jems in there but the Cabzeus just sounds far more natural to me. There's no buzz, harsh trebles or wooly low end. I find myself not having to LPF or HPF my presets hardly at all.
I've seen a lot of threads of people having a hard time finding the right IR's for their sound. I had the same problem and it was one of the reasons I stuck to a tube power amp and cab setup for so long. The cool thing I find with the Cabzeus is I have one speaker sim for all my presets and it sounds great with all the different amps used within them.
This isn't a knock against IR's, cause a lot of them do sound awesome, but I do wonder if speaker modeling is something that could take really take off?.. or maybe not since most people get great results with IR's and are more than happy as it is.
Is there anybody else here that uses a Cab sim pedal in their rig?

So, maybe its me, or even my playback system/P.A..
What exactly is your monitoring setup?

I'm not yet completely happy with the modelling of the Axe3, but in my case I'm still working on deciding what I'm going to use for my monitors. I'm leaning heavily toward building a couple cabs using Celestion F12-X200 speakers, but I still haven't landed on the exact amp I want either. So until I get this sorted, I'm fine with just using headphones, and the occasional pass through one of my Mesa rack amps, and 2- 4x12 Recto cabs. And I know until I get this part dealt with, the Axe just isn't going to sound as good as it is capable of.

So is it possible you're, in a way, compensating for not having the best-for-what-you-want, monitoring setup? I hear (read) a lot of people here gushing over how amazing the Axe and FM 3 now sounds (post Cygnus), and the guys who say this are usually using things like Atomic CLR, Freidman ASC, Matrix amps, etc.

FOH speakers that I test my presets through are RCF HD 32a's and some Roland headphones. The Cabzeus sounds better through both.

Динамики FOH, через которые я тестирую свои пресеты, - это RCF HD 32a и некоторые наушники Roland. Кабзеус звучит лучше через оба.
I have a question. Explain your cabling diagram. simulator, stereo, mono. Do you include this speaker simulator in the section of the Ax preset or at the output, input to the FRFR? After all, many blocks for processing the signal-delay, chorus, reverb, are included after the cable simulator. All claims are made against Google Translate. :)

Sure.
I actually run the Cabzeus as an fx send, so its in the chain directly after the Amp block.

IN 1 > Amp block > OUT 2 (Cabzeus)
IN 2 > Time based effects > OUT 1 (To XR16 mixer)
The Cabzeus is patched physically into the Fm3 using the Left In 2/Out 2.

Hope that makes sense.

Hi,

You should shot some IRs of the Cabzeus and share them with your Fractal community friends :)

I have a fickle ear when it comes to the IR/cab/final filter in my chain - but over the years I have gravitated frequently to IRs of direct boxes (Palmer/Redbox/Motherload) or even simple PEQ blocks. I go through long spells where actual cab IRs just all sound wonky (I am a total IR junkie so I have pretty much tried them all).

Anyway - how about some Cabzeus IRs? (Note IR junkie comment above)

Haha yeah well I could I guess, but I have no idea how..
Or you could buy one, you won't look back 😉

Hi,

You should shot some IRs of the Cabzeus and share them with your Fractal community friends :)

I have a fickle ear when it comes to the IR/cab/final filter in my chain - but over the years I have gravitated frequently to IRs of direct boxes (Palmer/Redbox/Motherload) or even simple PEQ blocks. I go through long spells where actual cab IRs just all sound wonky (I am a total IR junkie so I have pretty much tried them all).

Anyway - how about some Cabzeus IRs? (Note IR junkie comment above)
Is that even legal? There might be clause in the manual that forbids you from doing that.

Is that even legal? There might be clause in the manual that forbids you from doing that.
I would think it would be the same as sharing an IR of a cabinet you own from a legal perspective.

Certainly if there are any legal or ethical concerns, it isn't something worth messing with.

I would actually be curious if the OP were to shoot some IRs for personal use - their impressions of the IRs vs the Box. Could streamline their setup if they get the same tone without external hardware.

Back
Top Bottom