AxeFx Ultra: can it be readily controlled via midi by Helix (3.11)?

hobbes1

Inspired
I've been looking around the AxeFX WIKI, google searching online, etc.I haven't really found much about the older units being MIDI controlled by the current or at least later Helix firmware. Presumably as they both have the right in/outs, it will work but I am wondering if perhaps anyone has a template for controller values, or some other type of preset or patch that might allow me a good starting point. I don't have the Ultra yet but am considering purchasing one. (I don't want to go II or III; I've tried the AX8 and don't want that either).
My use case would basically be for switching modeled amps on/off (eg: in and out of the signal chain) and maybe switching FX on/off and if things were really working well, maybe even be able to switch preset(s) on the Helix will simultaneously switching corresponding scene(s) on the Ultra.
I will be downloading and RTFM as well but as I stated, I'm wondering if someone has already invented this wheel and can save me some effort and head scratching. I'm not a MIDiot but not far above that level, if you get my drift.

Thanks in advance

never had a helix, but used an hd 500 to make midi changes on an ultra. it worked but I ended up using an fcb 1010 with much better results. On the pod hd every pod preset had to be edited for every function wanted on the ultra. fcb was also alot of work to program until I had found an editor that made life good. for the easiest control of the ultra get a mfc, its almost just plug and play.

never had a helix, but used an hd 500 to make midi changes on an ultra. it worked but I ended up using an fcb 1010 with much better results. On the pod hd every pod preset had to be edited for every function wanted on the ultra. fcb was also alot of work to program until I had found an editor that made life good. for the easiest control of the ultra get a mfc, its almost just plug and play.
OK Thanks! As I already have the Helix and it has many great routing and control capabilities I just wanted to have a single source for control instead of having two (relatively large) control boards. I really have a fairly simple use for the Ultra so I'm hoping it won't be a ginormous PIA to set up switching....

OK Thanks! As I already have the Helix and it has many great routing and control capabilities I just wanted to have a single source for control instead of having two (relatively large) control boards. I really have a fairly simple use for the Ultra so I'm hoping it won't be a ginormous PIA to set up switching....
I am sure it will not be Ginormous, but will involve some time depending on how many presets you use. When I used the hd500 to switch my ultra, I set up patches in the hd to match the presets it was controlling on the ultra, that way if the ultra went down the hd was already to be a back up. At the time I was stupid and trying to use a preset per song. when I got the mfc and started using the setlist feature life was much easier.

I tend to use presets that I can cover most/all of the ground I need for a given tone/sound/artist in one preset as I have Helix set up for Snapshots but with a button push, can access the underlying menu of individual effects to add and subtract as needed.
The Ultra would be integrated for some effects that might not be in Helix or maybe I like the sound better (IIRC, rotary was quite good in Fractal vs. Line 6 products. The same for amp models that are either not in Helix or maybe I like the tone better in Ultras content). So, I'd probably build a preset in Helix that had the basic Line 6 stuff I like/need and then (seamlessly, I hope) integrate the Ultra content that I need/want.

Back
Top Bottom