ZenRigs FM3 screen protector

Valgua

Inspired
I ordered the ZenRigs screen protector for the FM3 as soon as I knew when I would get my device. The screen protector arrived today. So far I like it a lot. Installing it could not be easier. It relies on magnets to stick to the FM3. It seems robust, offering a good protection against falling objects. I also like the looks:

Attachments

• 49D91AF8-D494-4674-91A2-2CDCB6055A5C.jpeg
    49D91AF8-D494-4674-91A2-2CDCB6055A5C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 421
Last edited:
I ordered the ZenRigs screen protector for the FM3 as soon as I knew when I would get my device. The screen protector arrived today. So far I like it a lot. Installing it could not be easier. It relies on magnets to stick to the FM3. It seems robust, offering a good protection against falling objects. I also like the looks:
That looks clean, I tried to order this but all on back order for FM3 so I went with CEBA and got a skin too, hope it looks good like your's

The CEBA is nice. It has its drawbacks like restricted access to all the push buttons.
It's difficult to install. The rotary knobs get pushed sideways to get the guard on and in place.
You can't use Barefoot buttons on the switches that have a skirt, the guard over the foot switches is too tall.
It picks up light and there is glare with it.

I just purchased the ZenRigs. Very nice products.
Got the complete set for the AX3, FM3 and FC-6!
In my opinion and experience the ZenRigs is a better product.

The CEBA is nice. It has its drawbacks like restricted access to all the push buttons.
It's difficult to install. The rotary knobs get pushed sideways to get the guard on and in place.
You can't use Barefoot buttons on the switches that have a skirt, the guard over the foot switches is too tall.

Ah crap, I'm canceling my order, thanks

Good to know. CEBA looked nice on picture but I guess that the glare would indeed be annoying after a little while. The ZenRigs is intelligently made in that regard: black areas that prevent any glare. Also, it fits without having to push anything.

I'm not sure this thread is entirely fair to Ceba's product. I use one.

Yes, it's a bit tricky to get onto the unit. You have to bend the sheet to get it in place.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I haven't had any problems with glare in any lighting situation I've encountered....and if you have skinny fingers, the recess of the buttons could be considered a feature since it makes it unlikely that anything will happen by accident.

Above all else, it provides very solid protection. I don't regret getting one.

I'm not sure this thread is entirely fair to Ceba's product. I use one.

Yes, it's a bit tricky to get onto the unit. You have to bend the sheet to get it in place.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I haven't had any problems with glare in any lighting situation I've encountered....and if you have skinny fingers, the recess of the buttons could be considered a feature since it makes it unlikely that anything will happen by accident.

Above all else, it provides very solid protection. I don't regret getting one.
Does it provide coverage from spills?

Sounds like a manufacturing issue with your piece, just got my CEBA recently and literally just placed it on without any issues whatsoever. No adjustments for fitting, no tight fit, none of that, perfect placement.

I've gigged in light rain (not on purpose) with it on and I think it might have helped a little...but I wouldn't count on it.

Mainly it protects from dropped stuff.
Yeah actually I emailed a rep from ZeniRigs and they said it does not protect against spills. The rep actually suggested some people use Ziplock bags to cover gear and I think that’s a good idea actually. Has anyone ever tried that? Could even cover it from the back and poke holes in it to connect the wires/inputs. Can also poke some holes in the sides to allow for air ventilation.

Yeah actually I emailed a rep from ZeniRigs and they said it does not protect against spills. The rep actually suggested some people use Ziplock bags to cover gear and I think that’s a good idea actually. Has anyone ever tried that? Could even cover it from the back and poke holes in it to connect the wires/inputs. Can also poke some holes in the sides to allow for air ventilation.
Well, first you shouldn’t ever play, even in a light rain, especially if it results is standing water on the stage. Wireless mics and wireless guitars should be required if the show MUST go on. And avoid touching two amps or anything wired to a separate power source at the same time. Wet fingers conduct electricity and plenty of musicians have been badly shocked or killed in the rain.

That said: I’d cover it from the front, and then use some packing tape to close the opening on the back as much as possible leaving spaces for the wires. If it’s a big enough bag it’ll hang over the ends of the connectors and completely cover the back of the unit so taping it down like a flap will work well. Put a couple strips of packing tape over the plastic that covers the foot switches to avoid your shoes tearing a hole through the plastic.

THEN flip the unit over and carefully cut away the plastic from the fan opening. I’d use scissors, as a knife could scratch the bottom; The unit will be protected from the rain when sitting right side up but needs to be able to pull air in easily.

Flip it right side up and slice slots into the plastic on both sides where the Fractal logo vents let the air out; the fan should be able to push air out through the slots, and any rain drops that hit should bounce off, be blown away if the fan is running, or, hopefully, be slowed enough that they wouldn’t get inside but instead would run down underneath the unit and drip out the hole.

It would be even better to try covering it from the top, but finding a bag that would fit could be hard.

I used to use an eight-light array of strobe monoblocks outdoors in rodeo arenas with wireless triggers, and used the biggest, heaviest, clear ziplock-type bags for a similar use, and they worked great. Even in heavy downpours everything stayed nice and dry. Well, except me. I’d get soaked and covered with mud.

There are no guarantees that any of this will work, and I was out of town when anything bad happened.

Last edited:
Well, first you shouldn’t ever play, even in a light rain, especially if it results is standing water on the stage. Wireless mics and wireless guitars should be required if the show MUST go on. And avoid touching two amps or anything wired to a separate power source at the same time. Wet fingers conduct electricity and plenty of musicians have been badly shocked or killed in the rain.

That said: I’d cover it from the front, and then use some packing tape to close the opening on the back as much as possible leaving spaces for the wires. If it’s a big enough bag it’ll hang over the ends of the connectors and completely cover the back of the unit so taping it down like a flap will work well. Put a couple strips of packing tape over the plastic that covers the foot switches to avoid your shoes tearing a hole through the plastic.

THEN flip the unit over and carefully cut away the plastic from the fan opening. I’d use scissors, as a knife could scratch the bottom; The unit will be protected from the rain when sitting right side up but needs to be able to pull air in easily.

Flip it right side up and slice slots into the plastic on both sides where the Fractal logo vents let the air out; the fan should be able to push air out through the slots, and any rain drops that hit should bounce off, be blown away if the fan is running, or, hopefully, be slowed enough that they wouldn’t get inside but instead would run down underneath the unit and drip out the hole.

It would be even better to try covering it from the top, but finding a bag that would fit could be hard.

I used to use an eight-light array of strobe monoblocks outdoors in rodeo arenas with wireless triggers, and used the biggest, heaviest, clear ziplock-type bags for a similar use, and they worked great. Even in heavy downpours everything stayed nice and dry. Well, except me. I’d get soaked and covered with mud.

There are no guarantees that any of this will work, and I was out of town when anything bad happened.
Why not cover it from the side to seal off the back? That way one side is completely open (and you can tape if needed) and then cut slots on the other side? I got that idea from an Larry Mitchell post

Back
Top Bottom