Anyone having issues with their Axe FX 3 dropping out when using it as an interface?

Computer buffer size is not an issue. I had not seen this before about the USB menu on the Axe FX. I do have the buffer size set all the way down to 8, but I still notice some latency.
Set it to 256, then ignore that setting and set the buffer size on your computer only. Latency here is not an issue when running VSTs with 64 samples buffer set in software.

I'll try this as well. The latency has always been pretty noticeable for me since I got this unit, so I turned the buffer size all the way down to see if it would help. It's still noticeable, but I've been able to manage. Guess that's just the way it is!
Noticeable latency? That's unusual. The latency on the AxeFX is generally under 3ms. How much are you measuring, and how are you measuring it?

Or, are you talking about latency while monitoring through your computer? If so, your latency will be affected more by your computer cpu than your audio interface. For that reason, guitarists generally do not monitor their AxeFX through their computer.

Noticeable latency? That's unusual. The latency on the AxeFX is generally under 3ms. How much are you measuring, and how are you measuring it?

Or, are you talking about latency while monitoring through your computer? If so, your latency will be affected more by your computer cpu than your audio interface. For that reason, guitarists generally do not monitor their AxeFX through their computer.
I haven't measured it specifically. I just know it's a little more than hooking up a mic on a cab or something. It's definitely more than 3 ms.

I use the low latency mode in pro tools so I'm monitoring straight thru the Axe.

Interesting. I'm using both a 2012 Retina MBP and a hackintosh I built in 2019. Never had this issue until recently. Have you ever had an issue with the audio coming out of the output sounding very digital and robotic for about 10 seconds and then return to normal? THAT has actually always happened to me when using the Axe as the interface. Haven't been able to figure that one out either.

I have this happen when I let my iMac go to sleep and then wake it up. Basically, any audio I play after I wake it up, (except Logic‘s audio!) will get the screech at random points. Sometimes it starts right away, sometimes it doesn’t happen until a minute into a song/video. If this doesn’t happen, then the audio will drop when the IMac goes to sleep.

Unplugging the USB and plugging it back in fixes it and I’ve been hearing this talked about for quite a while now here. I think FAS has a possible fix for it if you ask support….which…I’m going to do now.

I have this happen when I let my iMac go to sleep and then wake it up. Basically, any audio I play after I wake it up, (except Logic‘s audio!) will get the screech at random points. Sometimes it starts right away, sometimes it doesn’t happen until a minute into a song/video. If this doesn’t happen, then the audio will drop when the IMac goes to sleep.

Unplugging the USB and plugging it back in fixes it and I’ve been hearing this talked about for quite a while now here. I think FAS has a possible fix for it if you ask support….which…I’m going to do now.
Hmm. Can't say this sounds exactly like my symptoms. But I did change my buffer size to 256 on the Axe and didnt have any audio drop out issues.

I haven't measured it specifically. I just know it's a little more than hooking up a mic on a cab or something. It's definitely more than 3 ms.

I use the low latency mode in pro tools so I'm monitoring straight thru the Axe.
It sounds like there's some confusion here. Low latency mode is still monitoring through your computer. Is there some reason you're monitoring through your computer? It's more common to monitor direct. That way you don't have to deal with any latency issues.

In any case, if you're monitoring through your computer, your audio interface (in this case the AxeFX) will have relatively little effect on your latency. Your latency will be effected more by your computer cpu, which affects how low you can turn down your audio buffer size, which will reduce your latency.

It sounds like there's some confusion here. Low latency mode is still monitoring through your computer. Is there some reason you're monitoring through your computer? It's more common to monitor direct. That way you don't have to deal with any latency issues.

In any case, if you're monitoring through your computer, your audio interface (in this case the AxeFX) will have relatively little effect on your latency. Your latency will be effected more by your computer cpu, which affects how low you can turn down your audio buffer size, which will reduce your latency.
Let me rephrase. I am monitoring thru the unit—not thru pro tools. There is still some latency. Definitely more than 3 ms.

Let me rephrase. I am monitoring thru the unit—not thru pro tools. There is still some latency. Definitely more than 3 ms.
In that case, the audio buffer size (and low latency mode) in PT won't make any difference to the latency you're hearing. In fact, this has nothing to do with your computer at all since this is presumably an issue for you even when you're not connected to a computer. Your latency should be in the neighborhood of 3ms. You'll probably have to check with tech support if you're measuring something significantly more than that.

This looks like USB disconnection, this might be from bad cable etc.

But, I did have this problem, but it's from electrical power noise. I solve it using a decent power filter. and it's never happen again.

This looks like USB disconnection, this might be from bad cable etc.

But, I did have this problem, but it's from electrical power noise. I solve it using a decent power filter. and it's never happen again.
I’ve replaced the usb cable. The dropout has not occurred, but I still get the robot noise and the latency.
Usually I do have my Axe plugged into a furman. It’s not right now, but it’s the same way when it is plugged in

In that case, the audio buffer size (and low latency mode) in PT won't make any difference to the latency you're hearing. In fact, this has nothing to do with your computer at all since this is presumably an issue for you even when you're not connected to a computer. Your latency should be in the neighborhood of 3ms. You'll probably have to check with tech support if you're measuring something significantly more than that.
Yeah it’s definitely more than 3 ms direct. I’ll look into that. Thanks.

After not having any drop outs for months my AXE is now randomly loosing connection to my DAW after updating to FW16.05.
I have a spare USB cable to see if that resolves the issue but I'm no confident it will..

Not exactly on topic - but just for reference - a 10 ms delay is about the shortest humans can detect. And remember that distance causes latency as well - roughly 1 ms per foot, so standing 20 ft away from your monitor is about a 20 ms delay.

Same problem to me:
iMac Big Sur 11.5.2
Randomly the audio from Imac (DAW, iTunes etc) stop to works but FX3 audio still working perfectly
Already changed USB cable and Set buffer Size to different values
To recover the audio is necessary to switch OFF/On FX3

Same problem to me:
iMac Big Sur 11.5.2
Randomly the audio from Imac (DAW, iTunes etc) stop to works but FX3 audio still working perfectly
Already changed USB cable and Set buffer Size to different values
To recover the audio is necessary to switch OFF/On FX3
Same on MacBook pro 15 2018. For me the solution was near - on the AX3 front panel -> setup -> audio -> USB buffer size 256

I had similar issue while using my Axe FX III as interface, I tried several things that didn't helped in the past until I've installed:

Axe-Fx III USB Firmware Update v1.10​

This is available from the download page: https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/

I would strongly recommend to give it a try even if no similar issues are documented in the release note, and then to test with a good cable directly connected to the port (no hub).

Back
Top Bottom