UPS Rant + backup rig rec

gdgross

Experienced
Sorry, I just need to cry/rant. I shipped my FM3 back to fractal last Wednesday, paid over $90 incl insurance. It needed repair, no longer connected to USB in any circumstance, so I haven't yet got the chance to enjoy firmware v4...

UPS has said for several days now that the package was 'delayed' with no new estimated arrival date, and no update on the tracking history except "shipped".

I don't know if I'd rather them deliver it, or just lose it, and I'll take the insurance an buy a new one at this point. I was hoping to get this repair turned around in a couple of weeks, now I'll be happy if I have my original, or another FM3, by the end of July. 😭

I'm so annoyed. I've got recording to get moving on, electric gigs that I'll actually have to bring an amp to, and acoustic gigs that will sound worse than what I'm now accustomed to.

What do you all have for backup rigs?

I keep a FlyRig5 in my case. It’s no Fractal rig, but I have played a whole gig on it when on a ridiculously cramped riverboat gig. It worked!
Definitely +1 for the flyrig. I have the Regular Flyrig and the Ritchie Kotzen Flyrig. One lives in my gig backpack (that has cables, ipad etc.) and the other lives in the trunk of my car. Perfect thing to use in a pinch and works well as an FM3 stand in either using a power amp or direct to an FRFR speaker + FOH.

note: I've never had a Fractal Rig go down on me on a gig, but I did accidentally drive to a gig once without my axefx 🤦‍♀️ and was lucky to have the flyrig in a pinch. Came home to the case sitting right next to my front door.

The Atomic stuff is really good, their amps sound really good. Effects are passable. Not in Fractals league but very good

Collecting UPS insurance is soo dysfunctional, believe me you'll be better off if it gets delivered as your going to wait for 2 to 3 months after filing the claim before you see a check. Oh yea one other thing your going to spend endless amount of time following up with UPS on checking on the status of the claim, its really a shame how difficult it is, well at lease in my experience when my shipment was lost.

The Boss GT-1 would be a great backup. Pros: 1. good sounds, 2. compact, 3. built in pedal, 4. very light weight (under 3 lbs), 5. battery power option, 6. can use w/ FRFR or PA system (or traditional amp), 7. cost is low ($200 new or $150 used). Cons: it's no FM3.

The HX Stomp would probably be better overall, but when considering this is a back up that you will probably hardly use, I would personally go with the Boss.

I just bought the Behringer TM300 pedal for $19 from Sweetwater. It's small, can run on battery and is seems to be a clone of the Sansamp GT2. I figure I can throw it in my bag and if there's a catastrophic failure I can keep playing. I tend to use a couple of pedals with my FM3 so assuming power still works I should be able to limp through a gig. For $19, why not?

The HX Stomp would probably be better overall, but when considering this is a back up that you will probably hardly use, I would personally go with the Boss.

I've spent ages trying to get the Stomp to work for me
Brilliant little package, does lots of things. Only problem is I don't like how it sounds. Can't seem to shake the flat digital sound. Just a leap away from the natural Fractal tones

I had one when they first came out and sold it after a while as I wasn't impressed. I heard they recently improved so gave it another go. For sure the amp tones are better. Just nowhere near the Fractals
So I'm depping tomorrow night somewhere I don't want to take either of my Fractals, basically a big tent in a field in the middle of a rainstorm. So I've been sat today trying to get the Stomp sounding as good as the Fractals.
Proper uphill struggle with it
Just really not getting on with their way of doing things and takes way more work to get to where you're happy with it

I used to have an Atomic AA6 and I'm kicking myself for selling it as the amps are so much better than the Stomp. I wasn't using the AA6 so sold it. I still have an AFB and it sounds much better amp wise, and it's so much easier to set up.
Doesn't do half as much as the Stomp, but the core stuff is just better

Rant over

YMMV, etc, etc

Brilliant little package, does lots of things. Only problem is I don't like how it sounds. Can't seem to shake the flat digital sound. Just a leap away from the natural Fractal tones

I had one when they first came out and sold it after a while as I wasn't impressed. I heard they recently improved so gave it another go. For sure the amp tones are better. Just nowhere near the Fractals
So I'm depping tomorrow night somewhere I don't want to take either of my Fractals, basically a big tent in a field in the middle of a rainstorm. So I've been sat today trying to get the Stomp sounding as good as the Fractals.
Just really not getting on with their way of doing things and takes way more work to get to where you're happy with it

I used to have an Atomic AA6 and I'm kicking myself for selling it as the amps are so much better than the Stomp. I wasn't using the AA6 so sold it. I still have an AFB and it sounds much better amp wise, and it's so much easier to set up.

Rant over

YMMV, etc, etc

My experience is almost the same. I tried to like the HXS sounds but was never satisfied. It is a shame because I like their hardware and many of their effects. I too once had an Atomic (AA3 in my case) I should have kept. It had limited effects but the modeling was so much more satisfying than Helix for me. Maybe not the popular opinion, but I had a Boss GT-1k for a while and also regret selling that. I like Boss effects and while the number of models were limited, I thought they sounded and felt better than Helix.

In the end wound up here with the FM3 which was instant gratification compared to most of the rest. Still tempted to get a Boss GT-1kCORE to supplement the FM3 mainly because I just like Boss effects.

My experience is almost the same. I tried to like the HXS sounds but was never satisfied. It is a shame because I like their hardware and many of their effects. I too once had an Atomic (AA3 in my case) I should have kept. It had limited effects but the modeling was so much more satisfying than Helix for me. Maybe not the popular opinion, but I had a Boss GT-1k for a while and also regret selling that. I like Boss effects and while the number of models were limited, I thought they sounded and felt better than Helix.

In the end wound up here with the FM3 which was instant gratification compared to most of the rest. Still tempted to get a Boss GT-1kCORE to supplement the FM3 mainly because I just like Boss effects.
Totally agree on liking the Boss better than Line 6. I've never cared for the Line 6 effects (but plenty of people do). There just seems to be more love in general for the HX Stomp than the current Boss line up.

For a back up the GT-1 (for me) would be a no-brainer.

Walrus asc1. No fx but the amps are good enough to get me to the end of a set. Or through a reboot. And in truth the fractals have never let me down.

Rant over

YMMV, etc, etc
Find good IR’s. This turns the stomp into an absolutely great backup rig. If you’re doing professional shows you always have to have a backup rig. Purchase another FM3 if that’s the case.

Welp, turns out the package was delivered late, but fractal got it, fixed it, and it's on it's now way back to me. just out of the 1 year warranty unfortunately.

Broken USB chip. just a component failure, nothing i could have done they said. Which was reassuring as I've removed the feet, hard mounted from the bottom, and hijacked the 12V FASLINK power to run an external midi pedal and headphone amp. Can't wait to get it back and playing with my rig again! (and v4 too)

thanks for the backup rig recommendations too, i'll look into them!

Welp, turns out the package was delivered late, but fractal got it, fixed it, and it's on it's now way back to me. just out of the 1 year warranty unfortunately.

Broken USB chip. just a component failure, nothing i could have done they said. Which was reassuring as I've removed the feet, hard mounted from the bottom, and hijacked the 12V FASLINK power to run an external midi pedal and headphone amp. Can't wait to get it back and playing with my rig again! (and v4 too)

That great news, curios though, broken usb chip? was its damaged (user error) or did it fail/defective? just wondering...

Just one year? Glad G66 offers 3y warranty here in EU :)

Just one year? Glad G66 offers 3y warranty here in EU :)
Its pretty common to have a 1 year warrantee here in the US, basically appliances, iPhones and such traditionally offer the 1 year and almost always offer an option to purchase extended coverage which I myself almost never do, one time I purchased a LG washer and dryer additional coverage but the fine print didn't include labor (parts only) so when my dryer drum broke I still had to pay up and it almost equaled the cost of a new less expensive unit and the mechanic created a huge mess while fixing the unit.

Back
Top Bottom