FM3 with and without FC6

This is one of those questions where I'm getting the feeling I'm missing something simple or it's been answered before and I just can't find it.

Is it possible to configure layouts for the FM3 in a way where I can either have or not have an FC6 plugged in at any given moment? I'm thinking of scenarios when I wouldnt want to drag my FC6 out (practice, to another room in the house, etc) but if I do have it with me would like to just plug and go.

The FM3 won't automatically switch to its default if the FC6 is disconnected, but resetting it to the default setting is easy and fast via the Reset menu. If you use the OMG9 settings there's an OMG3 variant that you can access by switching the starting layout, so it's a good workaround.

Last edited:
You can always add a startup layout on the FM3 with button one labeled FM3+FC6 and button two labeled FM3 (button 3 tuner, because you'll likely tune the first thing you do when you start up). And then with the two buttons switch to a layout that works with or without the FC6 and you just select once when you start the FM3.

One difficulty is that bank size is global, so even if you have separate layouts for each and a startup layout to switch between them like Johan suggests, you'll have to manually change the bank size to match the layout you want to use.

This is one of those questions where I'm getting the feeling I'm missing something simple or it's been answered before and I just can't find it.

Is it possible to configure layouts for the FM3 in a way where I can either have or not have an FC6 plugged in at any given moment? I'm thinking of scenarios when I wouldnt want to drag my FC6 out (practice, to another room in the house, etc) but if I do have it with me would like to just plug and go.
The basic FM3 settings aren't hard to use either, but OMG9 is definitely more flexible. The OMG3 settings are a good middle-ground.

I have a lay out set up for when I use FM alone with a dual aux switch and a modified OMG9 for when I use FC6. My FM default power up layout is my OMG but a simple twist of a knob puts me in my other stand alone layout

I run modified layouts with the per-preset layout being the primary layout when a preset is selected. When using the FC6, a 2 button stand-in switch is plugged into it along with an expression pedal, and the FM3 sits on top of a cab and mostly serves as a controller. When using the FM3 by itself the stand-in switches and expression pedal are plugged into the FM3. The behaviours assigned to the stand-in switches are slightly different for each of the configurations.

I use Fractal Bot from FM3-Edit to export the System+FC file for each configuration. If the exported file is for the standalone FM3 it’s renamed FM3.sys. If it’s for the FM3+FC6 configuration it’s renamed FC6.sys. If I want to go from the FM3+FC6 to the FM3 configuration I import the FM3.sys file. And if going the other way, import the FC6.sys file.

Because only the System+FC file is being exported the operation only takes a second or so. And once I had decided how I wanted the layouts to function, the export operation is a pretty rare event. I had to do it after installing Cygnus but hadn’t had to in the previous 6 months.

Importing the file takes a second or two and requires a reboot. After which the system is reconfigured and ready for use. Moving cables and plugging stuff in is the most time consuming part of the exercise.

IIRC the OMG9 has 2 unused Layouts...

Currently I don't have a FC but I managed to create a custom pair of layouts that are doing exactly the basic functionality I need:

LAYOUT 1: SCENES (1 view)

SW1 Tap: Toggle between Scenes 1 & 2 Hold: Scene 7
SW2 Tap: Toggle between Scenes 3 & 4 Hold: Layout 2-View 1
SW3 Tap: Toggle between Scenes 5 & 6 Hold: Scene 8

LAYOUT 2: PRESETS/BANKS (2 views)

View 1

SW1 Tap: Preset decrement Hold: Select View 2
SW2 Tap: Tuner Hold: Select Layout 1 View 1
SW3 Tap: Preset increment Hold: Select View 2

View 2

SW1 Tap: Select preset 1 from bank Hold: Bank decrement
SW2 Tap: Select preset 2 from bank Hold: Select Layout 1 View 1
SW3 Tap: Select preset 3 from bank. Hold: Bank increment

As I don't use the Looper live and my workflow is preset/scene based, I think this layouts works perfectly and I really think it works the same or better than the AX8 I had, now I need to set an external switch for tap tempo, and a expression pedal and I think I'm done. :cool:

IIRC the OMG9 has 2 unused Layouts...

Currently I don't have a FC but I managed to create a custom pair of layouts that are doing exactly the basic functionality I need:

LAYOUT 1: SCENES (1 view)

SW1 Tap: Toggle between Scenes 1 & 2 Hold: Scene 7
SW2 Tap: Toggle between Scenes 3 & 4 Hold: Layout 2-View 1
SW3 Tap: Toggle between Scenes 5 & 6 Hold: Scene 8

LAYOUT 2: PRESETS/BANKS (2 views)

View 1

SW1 Tap: Preset decrement Hold: Select View 2
SW2 Tap: Tuner Hold: Select Layout 1 View 1
SW3 Tap: Preset increment Hold: Select View 2

View 2

SW1 Tap: Select preset 1 from bank Hold: Bank decrement
SW2 Tap: Select preset 2 from bank Hold: Select Layout 1 View 1
SW3 Tap: Select preset 3 from bank. Hold: Bank increment

As I don't use the Looper live and my workflow is preset/scene based, I think this layouts works perfectly and I really think it works the same or better than the AX8 I had, now I need to set an external switch for tap tempo, and a expression pedal and I think I'm done. :cool:
You confirmed an idea I have been having with your second layout. I will do a modified version of it!

Back
Top Bottom