Wrecker Express with 6CA7s.... O.o

Joe Bfstplk

Axe-Master
Wow, the Wrecker Express sounds great already - but bump in the 6CA7s instead of EL34s, dial up the power amp settings from the Plexi 6CA7 and it really shines with my Strat. I set it up with three different gain levels - "Edge of Breakup", "Crunchy", and "GR-RRR!". I might need to build one of these someday....
Screen%20Shot%202021-06-22%20at%2010.22.37%20PM.png

BLOCK FILE (right click and save as if you get a screen full of gibberish)

Nice....I've been playing more with the various power tube types and find the 6CA7 is a short list favorite tube overall and some amps/tones really suit it.

Wow, the Wrecker Express sounds great already - but bump in the 6CA7s instead of EL34s, dial up the power amp settings from the Plexi 6CA7 and it really shines with my Strat. I set it up with three different gain levels - "Edge of Breakup", "Crunchy", and "GR-RRR!". I might need to build one of these someday....
Screen%20Shot%202021-06-22%20at%2010.22.37%20PM.png

BLOCK FILE (right click and save as if you get a screen full of gibberish)
This sounds cool! Perhaps I overlooked it, but did you mention the cab you’re using with this amp abomination 🤣, and if you haven’t already, will you please? 😉 Cheers, Lee

I really like the way that preset/patch is made via the editor too. I was not thinking in that way to construct like that until seeing this!

I really like the way that preset/patch is made via the editor too. I was not thinking in that way to construct like that until seeing this!
On that topic, @Joe Bfstplk, are you using the Mixer blocks to blend/morph the inputs or just switch between them? If the latter case, wouldn't the Multiplexer be a simpler choice?

Since I know you have a lot of expression pedals, I'm assuming it's the former?

Thanks for your excellent suggestion. I have also implemented the 6CA7 tubes (with the PA-settings from the Marshall as shown in your picture) on the FAS Express, Wreck and Crunch amps and all I can say is: TRY IT, you'll like it:):). After this discovery I will also try these settings on other EL34 amps.

The FAS amps are idealized versions of amps and I use these excellent amps in many of my presets. It seems like manye Fractal users overlook the FAS amps but if @FractalAudio only had FAS amps (which would be his ideal solution....) it would still by far be the best modeller available as the FAS amps cover all (or at least most) of the basic amp designs.
Thanks again!!

EDIT: Try it on any EL34 amp - I just "put" 6CA7 tubes into the Cameron CCV 2A and I love the result (@2112 - you should try this as I understand that the Cameron is one of your favourite "Marshalls" :)

Last edited:
The link in my post has the amp block, which you can drop in a blank preset....
Ok, so i only had a few minutes so i tried the 6ca7 tubes with my preset i had with the wrecker express and liverpool bright and man o man....
now it yields that Komet amps style clean driver pushed goodness....finger picking yields clean sparkle and a pick gets the grit...
Thanks for the suggestion

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom